Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all.

I am sorry to be so late. I overslept! What a delight. So, now the bird feeders are filled, the fire is lit (first of the year and it is so nice to have that I wonder why I haven't done it every weekend), and my tea is made-on to trivia.

Beginning in the 1770s and lasting until around the 1820s, the Swedish used something when mailing a letter that would indicate the urgency of its delivery. What do you think that was?

I will return with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• thinman
    11 years ago

It sounds like a great start to the Saturday, Cynthia. We are heading to the library and farmers' market here this morning. We'll take Annie the country dog with us and walk her around a block or two in town so she can get a taste of city life. It's cold but bright and totally beautiful outside with some fresh snow from last night clinging to all the tree branches --- truly a winter wonderland type morning.

You have an intriguing question for us today. I'll try to be thinking about it while I'm out and about this morning, and will check back for the clues I will definitely be needing.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Happy Saturday Morning!! We are coming out of the deep-freeze, slowly. A fire sounds nice, as does the Farmer's Market.
    What might the Swedes use on a letter....hmmm. Would it be something that other European countries might have adopted?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, sounds as if you have a lovely morning planned. It is beautiful when the snow falls. I especially like to look out to see all our bright red cardinals (we have tons) framed by white branches. Magical. We were lucky to get a dusting that caused a two-hour delay at school on Thursday and another that gave us a two-hour early release on Friday. Perfect! Still I would love to see some accumulation.

Nancy, I know the Finns also used this method, but I am not aware that it spread beyond those two countries. I can imagine the French would have enjoyed adding these to their letters (somehow, it just seems perfect for those at court anyway-sort of frou-frou), but no indication that they ever did. I will do some more research today to see if I can find out any more. By the mid-nineteenth century, stamps on letters were introduced.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

MMMMMmmmmmm, methinks I need clues.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmmm....You have left a couple of clues, haven't you?

I am feeling rather flighty, with spring fever a definite diagnosis. I should let you, my friends know that we did get the second house - I am thrilled, but the new landlady kept us waiting, which means the notice I have given my old LL's is short. They are not being nice about it. I am focusing on having a garden out my door again, and have gone so far as to order a Stokes Seed catalogue!!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Is there a clue in the trees among the cardinals? Something red? Something ticklish? Am I way off?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not necessarily red, but you and Nancy are on the right (flight) path! :)

Cynthia

11 years ago

I'm getting a bird vibe, close?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my husband's weekly meetings is a group of mostly retired military pilots. They call themselves Birds of a Feather. ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

So many clues, hit me over the head with a feather.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not too painful, was it, Bobbie?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

No, good thing as I've had a headache all day from this cold which lingers on. Blah

• thinman
    11 years ago

So, did different colored feathers mean different degrees of urgency, or was it just that any feather meant hurry it up?

TM

11 years ago

Well, is a feather the answer you're looking for? If not I give up LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I was going to say the whole bird!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for TM, Bobbie, and Annette!

Yes, the Swedes would attach feathers to their letters to indicate the urgency with which the letter needed to be delivered. One reference I found said they would attach one to three feathers with three meaning most urgent. I also read that they might attach either white or black feathers if they wanted to specify a day or night delivery. Now, wouldn't you imagine the French would pick up that idea? All those feathers on their hats...just make sense that they would love feathers on their letters as wll-at least before the revolution! ;)

The feather letters were honored with a stamp, btw.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Here is a link that might be useful: feather letter

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Well darn, several feather too many!! lol. Good fun. I had imagined the sealing wax....actual feathers eluded me!! Thanks for the fun, Cyn.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

That was a unique and fun question, and I can hardly wait for the next party I attend (it could be years) so I can work it into the conversation. I would have never guessed it without clues.

Thanks, Cynthia.

TM

11 years ago

Me either TM, great question.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Yes, if we ever get invited to cocktail parties, we will DOMINATE the clever conversation!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Tomorrow, at book club, I will attempt to use this tidbit.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Something else is white, airy, and fluffy here today...

Falling
    Softly
    Gently
    Covering
    Swiftly
    Completely
    Ending

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice.

Sponsored