Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

thinman
13 years ago

Today's question may be too easy for you art-smarties, but I want to stay with the weekend art theme, so here it is anyway.

Who painted the picture below? Spelling counts.

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Last name and first? Sure about last, not so sure about first. Off for a snack (who'd a thunk, so soon after breakfast?). Be back later. :)

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep, both names. I can't be making this TOO easy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Late to the game this morning, If I've got it right this painting was stolen but recovered later, I think there's a v where one usually sees a w in the artist's first name.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

It's a portrait of Macaulay Caulkin - no, wait, actually, wasn't it stolen a couple of times, and I think that the artist repainted it once(?). I think I know this, but must think about the spelling....

Cyn, are you munching on your snack??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Why, yes, Nancy, I certainly am! HA. Shall we decline the verb? I munch, you munch...So we have the last name spelled right I know, but for the first...I know how it is pronounced, but not sure of the spelling.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Well, if Annette is correct, it is said Edvard - very European, but is it spelled Edward??? Think of Eduarda.....

Nancy.

13 years ago

Edvard Munch, I'm used to seeing this name spelled with a 'w' :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

I think the spelling is the same, just the pronunciation changes, n'est pas? Think of pronouncing Volkswagen with the V and the W exchanged. Cyn, chime in, I am off to bed with a book!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I know how to spell it, but I don't know how to pronounce it. His name is Edvard Munch, so do you pronounce the v like we normally would?

Annette clearly has it right. I think Nancy was going with Edward and Cynthia was undecided.

IF that's true, I'm thinking for Annette and for Nancy and Cynthia.

Do I have it right? If not, I can adjust. :)

Apparently there were four or five different versions of The Scream that Munch created, and at least two of them were stolen at different times.

He was a disturbed man.

Thanks for playing trivia!

TM

13 years ago

I think Edvard is pronounced ED-vard, not sure about Munch.
    Thanks for the stars, I was pretty sure I knew this one.

The Scream reminds me very much of a painting a friend of mine had, the subject, Warsaw burning. There were figures that looked to me like tortured souls in the foreground. Every time I saw it shivers ran up and down my spine but it kept drawing me in, very eery.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annette, your description of your friend's painting got me to looking around for it and, though I didn't find it, I learned things about Warsaw I never knew. The uprising against the Nazis in WWII was a brave but ultimately horrific tale that I don't remember ever hearing about. I wonder if that was the inspiration for your friend's painting.

13 years ago

TM, I think you might be right, I never asked about the artist or where he bought it from. He had it hung in his entrance hall, stopped me in my tracks every time I went for a visit.

Annette

13 years ago

I think to be more precise it was a painting of the Warsaw ghetto burning, pretty horrific when you think about it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Yep, you got it right. I did know it was Edvard when spoken, but fooled myself by thinking the spelling must be tricky.

In German, the 'v' can be prounced as a 'v' the way we say it or as an 'f' as in Volkswagen (think of the meaning of it-folk's car). Of course, I have absolutely NO knowledge of Norwegian, so can't say about Edvard. Do have a few phrases from my grandmother in Swedish though- :) I do love languages! Wish I'd learned more when I was young. I am not so successful these days despite still having a pretty good ear.

have a good week all. Hope no one is dealing with that monster storm they say is coming through. We are expecting a little ice. I have been out of school since last Wednesday (today is a teacher workday and I am working from home-break time). Can't decide if I'm ready to go back. This has been nice!

Sponsored