Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Are you all getting tired of my weak questions? No? Okay, here's yet another.

The Roma are well known throughout the world. They have a well-known nickname. Can you tell me how they came to get the nickname?

Cynthia

Comments (16)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Nope, not tired of your questions -- just appreciative that you take the time to come up with them for us.

I'm pretty sure I know the nickname, but not where it came from. I'll await others' input and clues.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Never tired of your questions: I know how difficult it can be if the bolt of inspiration does not strike. ;-)

I can think of a couple of nicknames. I'm sure it is the more popular, and I know what it came to mean, not the original I need clues!!

Nancy.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Ha! Do you mean Gypsies? From Egyptian, I believe....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did you know the Roma were Hindu originally and came from India in the 9th century to Europe?

Carolb, welcome!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Hindu you say, even more confused now.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Did they belong to a certain caste in India that would shed light on where the nickname (I'm thinking gypsy too) came from?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was not a clue, just an interesting fact. Sorry.

You may want to jump on carol's bandwagon!

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

How about it Carol? If I bring an instrument can I jump on?

Egyptian, you say. Sounds like it would fit.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, just an fyi-be sure to come back tomorrow for your stars! We play trivia every Saturday and Sunday.

You are a smart man, TM. ðÂÂÂ

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh man. You just won't believe what shows up when you google gypsies with stars. Yikes.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, didn't get back here yesterday, company arrived unexpectedly. I was thinking Gypsies but that's as far as I got.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Coming in very late, no stars expected.

There was a branch of Roma that settled in Egypt and were later called Gypsies because of being in/from Egypt.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, four stars for Carolb and three for everyone else. Indeed, gypsy is the nickname for the Rompa. They were given that name because people thought they looked as though they were Egyptian even though they came to Europe from India in the 9th century.

Here are the two best options for stars. First one is okay, but the second, well, hope everyone has a good sense of humor and gets the gypsy connection.

Have a marvelous week. We got no snow over the weekend or this morning. I am hopeful, but not optimistic about our chances for tonight. ð©

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hehhehheh.

• thinman
    9 years ago

That has to be Gypsy Rose Lee. I'd know those, uh, stars anywhere. Just how risqué would this photo have been back in the day?

Thanks, Cynthia. Very fun questions and answers, I liked the stars too. :-)

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Though I did not recognize her stars, I knew she had to be Gypsy Rose Lee. Good choice, like a bit of a joke.