Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, I see Cyn is off making tea. I am being lazy - I'm going to post and then have a wee nap. I'm going for coffee with friends later, so have done a few early errands and chores.

Well, we can recognize, maybe even hum many of them, but how many TV show theme tunes would we actually know the name of? Or how many of them actually have names, say, other than 'The Theme from.....'? Huh, good question you say? That's what I thought. This came from something I heard many years ago, about the name of the theme from M*A*S*H. I actually took a couple hard copies to work with me yesterday, to see how easy/hard this might be...as usual, what I thought was easy was hard, and what I thought was hard was, ah you know! Verrrrrry interrrrrestink. Match the number with the letter - not sure how I'm going to do clues for this, but I'll try to figure it out! Maybe, as usual, it could be a group effort?

Dislaimer: The quiz poser is not responsible for any acquired ear worms!!

1. Alfred Hitchock Presents ____

2. Alice ____

3. Ally McBeal ____

4. The Big Bang Theory ____

5. Friends ____

6. Have Gun - Will Travel ____

7. House ____

8. M*A*S*H ____

9. The Mary Tyler Moore Show ____

1. Mad About You ____
  2. Monty Pythons Flying Circus ____
  3. Three's Company ____
  4. Tour of Duty ____
  5. The Carol Burnett Show ____
  6. CSI - the original ____
  7. The Fall Guy ____
  8. Full House ____
  9. The Golden Girls ____ "
  10. Gunsmoke ____
  11. Cheers ____

A. Ballad of Paladin

B. Love is All Around

C. Where Everybody Knows Your Name

D. Everywhere You Look

E. Who Are You

F. So Glad We Had This Time Together

G. Thank You for Being a Friend

H. The Unknown Stuntman

I. Old Trail

J. Liberty Bell March

K. Come and Knock On Our Door

L. Funeral March of a Marionette

M. Paint it Black

N. Suicide Is Painless

O. There's a New Girl in Town

P. Searchin' My Soul

Q. Teardrop

R. The History of Everything

S. Final Frontier

T. I'll Be There For You

I know it seems like a lot, I took it to work to try to thin it down, but again, my wise co-workers had it done in less than an hour. Fairly accurately. So, this is a new idea, at least for me: let's see how you smarties do with it!!

Nancy.

Comments (23)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I know nine of them, including a couple that I'm embarrassed to say I know. I have 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 18, 20.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol - some of them were guilty pleasures!! Very good TM!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hmmm, some I know right off and some I need to think about. I have never watched a couple, so I know I won't get all of them unless I can use the process of elimination. 1,6,8,9,14,15,and 20 are the ones I know and I do have guesses on a few others just by thinking about what would fit.

This will be a fun day!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Process of elimination will be better than clues, I think!! Like I said, the ones that I thought were gimmees are hard, so you should be glad I got some feedback. lol. TM, I thought you might know 4!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Uhoh, I have matched them all, but I have one song left over. I just tried to pick things that seemed to fit with the show, except for Monty Python which is of course a purely ridiculous and wonderful choice for a British show. So funny. Anyway, must have picked one twice, but can't spot my mistake. Guess I will write them out again and start over. Ugh. Now to go back and review.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I think I know 9 of them. 3,5,6,8,9,12,14,18&20. Some of these shows I never watched so won't know these, I might be able to figure out a few more by process of elimination, later

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, that wonderful sense of satire the British have!! Cyn, I was so worried I'd screw up the numbers and the matching doing my cut & paste!! I just went back and recounted everything. Phew!

Funny everyone says they have #8 - I didn't remember that one at all!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, I seem to have 's' left over, so it is cut and paste again to see what I am missing. I am guessing on the several I haven't seen.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ok, found I had two marked 'g'. I am pretty confident of 14 of them and the rest are guesses and what I think might fit from the leftovers.

I'll paste once everyone has made choices. I have been moving a couple around and then back again. I am not looking at it any more!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'S' was about couplehood, if that helps!!

Nancy. - who at least has a clue for that one!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh yay! It was one of my leftovers. I think I guessed right on that one.

12 years ago

This is what I've come up with so far

1. Alfred Hitchock Presents ____ L. Funeral March of a Marionette
    2. Alice ____
    3. Ally McBeal ____ P. Searchin' My Soul
    4. The Big Bang Theory ____
    5. Friends ____ T. I'll Be There For You
    6. Have Gun - Will Travel ____A. Ballad of Paladin
    7. House ____
    8. M*A*S*H ____ N. Suicide Is Painless
    9. The Mary Tyler Moore Show ____ B. Love is All Around

1. Mad About You ____
    2. Monty Pythons Flying Circus ____
    3. Three's Company ____ K. Come and Knock On Our Door
    4. Tour of Duty ____
    5. The Carol Burnett Show ____ F. So Glad We Had This Time Together
    6. CSI - the original ____ E. Who Are You
    7. The Fall Guy ____H. The Unknown Stuntman?
    8. Full House ____
    9. The Golden Girls ____ G. Thank You for Being a Friend
    10. Gunsmoke ____ I. Old Trail?
    11. Cheers ____C. Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Some of these shows I have never watched so even with clues I probably wouldn't get them. At least I knew some of them.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, here's mine:

1. Alfred Hitchock Presents L. Funeral March of a Marionette
    2. Alice O. There's a New Girl in Town
    3. Ally McBeal P. Searchin' My Soul
    4. The Big Bang Theory R. The History of Everything
    5. Friends T. I'll Be There For You
    6. Have Gun - Will Travel A. Ballad of Paladin
    7. House Q. Teardrop
    8. M*A*S*H N. Suicide Is Painless
    9. The Mary Tyler Moore Show B. Love is All Around

1. Mad About You S. Final Frontier
    2. Monty Pythons Flying Circus J. Liberty Bell March
    3. Three's Company K. Come and Knock On Our Door
    4. Tour of Duty M. Paint it Black
    5. The Carol Burnett Show F. So Glad We Had This Time Together
    6. CSI - the original E. Who Are You
    7. The Fall Guy H. The Unknown Stuntman
    8. Full House D. Everywhere You Look
    9. The Golden Girls G. Thank You for Being a Friend
    10. Gunsmoke I. Old Trail
    11. Cheers C. Where Everybody Knows Your Name

I went ahead and guessed on 3, 5, 7, 10, 13, and 17. Figured Tour of Duty had to be "Paint it Black" since war flicks/shows seem to love rock songs and figured House had to be one of two-ended up sticking the other with Ally McBeal since I had no idea there either and Teardrop didn't seem to fit. Of course it doesn't seem to fit House either, but none did. Oh well.

You kept me busy today, Nancy. It was fun. Can't wait to see the answers.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bang on, Annette - 13 out of 20!! Perhaps the 'process of elimination will help with the rest?? or some of them?

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Or Cynthia will!! lol. Perfect score, Cyn.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I am working on these. There are some shows I am not familiar with so likely won't get those even with process of elimination.

I didn't read the other postings as want to give them a try by myself first.

Bobbie

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I didn't do very well getting only half of them right and some of those were guesses such as Old Trail for Gunsmoke and The Unknown Stuntman for The Fall Guy. Sadly there were only three shows I had not watched though many were ones I had seen only occasionally. Half of the songs were ones that I did not know from the names.

When my son was young we didn't watch any TV until after nine p.m. when he was in bed. Mash was a favorite after the 10 p.m. news, new to me, but already in reruns.

During that time (the 80s) the only radio music we listened to was in the car which didn't have FM and our channel was an oldies. DS knew all the sixties songs until his teen years when he found Kurt Cobain in the early 90s. I was glad when he moved from what I think of as the "angry years/music" to alternative rock (which became my favorite) and now to Pete Seeger/Arlo Gutherie folk type music.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Isn't it amazing how today's generation venerates the music of older generations?? I grew up listening to swing, and some jazz, as well as the classics I learned taking piano lessons, and in the church choir. If you haven't seen it, check out Mr. Holland's Opus. A great movie about music, though it does also tell the story of a generation.

Well, Cyn: you get

For everyone else, thanks for playing. Did you like this format? It didn't feel like as much fun as sharing clues, etc. Please tell me what you think.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Nancy, I enjoyed this form as much as the regular trivia. Perhaps if there were fewer questions/choices it would be easier to give clues. I used your clue about couplehood to pair Mad About You and Final Frontier.

I grew up with my parents collection of country music as well as early rock and roll on the radio/TV. Dick Clark's American Bandstand was must see TV.

Oh, Have Gun Will Travel is one of the shows I watched and I still remember most of the words to The Ballad of Palladin. I was singing it to myself a few days ago.

Congrats, Cynthia. You are a music whiz.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Not really. I just moved my guesses around to see what might fit logically. I would have found it easier with all old cowboy themes since we can sing most of those, too, Bobbie! Final Frontier didn't make any sense to me (well except for Star Trek which wasn't a choice), but it was the one left over, so...

It is true about growing up with music. I still love big band, jazz, and classical music, even though I don't know much about them-more of a positive visceral response.

Growing up outside Philadelphia, I always thought it would be cool to go to American Bandstand. My mother disagreed. ;)

Thanks for the fun, Nancy. I liked the format, too. Nice change.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

It was a great question, Nancy. Any kind of format is fine with me -- whatever works for you. It's fun to have multiple questions like this one. It ups the odds of me knowing an answer. :)

Thanks for the fun.

TM

12 years ago

I really like these too, the answers right there in front of me, just have to match them up. Helps clear the cobwebs out of the old memory bank:).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well OK!! Just checking. I have another idea for a multiple choice, but as you might expect the research takes a little longer. Thanks for weighing in on whether you liked it or not. I think next Sunday will be normal, but then what is normal??

Nancy.

Sponsored