Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, happy Saturday morning, and , Surprise!!

Yes, tis I - Cynthia and I have switched, because I will be working on Sundays for the foreseeable future.

So, for today, we will search for the meaning of a word I ran into this week, probably watching Jeopardy! We are looking for the definition of Hoplology. Perhaps this is only new to me, as you all have far more formal education than I do. Hmmmm...if not, I'll be back with clues!

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Geez, I haven't the faintest :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Hmmm...thinking something to do with the study of old Hop-a-long Cassidy shows. Haha.

Need clues!

Cynthia, who will be thinking today is Sunday all day. ;)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol, Cynthia. Yes, it is kinda freaky Fridayish.

It is of course a study of something, but what I wonder? The field originates in the 19th century with the explorer and linguist Sir Richard Burton; although the origin of the word is often attributed to Burton, there are earlier references to it. Hmmmm....does this help or hinder?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hoplology is not a term of which I am familiar. Explorer, hmm, maybe hopping around the world? Ha, ha.

Need more clues.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Ha! Cynthia, you beat me to the Hop-a-long Cassidy joke. That was the first thing I thought of. The second thing I thought of was the study of hops in beer brewing, but I don't think that is any more likely to be the right answer. How about rabbit studies? Probably not.

I don't know anything about that Burton guy, and hoplo doesn't remind me of any word roots that I know.

Will hope for more clues.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ha, TM, I just thought of the beer idea, too. Love the rabbit idea.

So, Sir Richard Burton, huh? Took me a while way back when to realize it wasn't that handsome fellow from Wales with the extraordinary voice and acting ability when I read an article or saw mention of this Sir Richard. Should have paid closer attention since I remember very little about him. Now, I could tell you lots about that other fellow. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, this Sir Richard is an interesting fellow: he was indeed a world traveller and was the first to translate both the Arabian nights and the Kamasutra into English unabridged. Ahem. Sounds like he was quite the lad.

This name comes from the Greek for a mythical plate-armourered animal.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ah, could the creature have to do with my Chinese zodiac symbol? Or with The Hobbit, perhaps?

Of course, I will need to think to figure out a connection with Sir Richard. Did he hunt for a real one or write about their appearances in literature?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does have to do with their appearance. It has an international society, and they study a certain kind of interaction. Hmmm...what might that be?

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, I can't wait to start the real part of my job tomorrow - we go live on the phones - oh my!!

I'm waiting on my housemates to get home so I can go out for groceries. I want to make some lasagna for dinner tonight. This has been a challenge for me, getting out. I need to get out and socialize or I will go squirrley. My volunteer job had been. Doing the trick before all the ice and snow and extreme cold. Even the cats are fighting more than usual . Sigh.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, I can't wait to start the real part of my job tomorrow - we go live on the phones - oh my!!

I'm waiting on my housemates to get home so I can go out for groceries. I want to make some lasagna for dinner tonight. This has been a challenge for me, getting out. I need to get out and socialize or I will go squirrley. My volunteer job had been. Doing the trick before all the ice and snow and extreme cold. Even the cats are fighting more than usual . Sigh.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Might this have to do with days of old when knights were bold?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I got nothing here. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would it help if I told you that hoplite is the term for the classical Greek warrior?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, yes, maybe that does help. Well, you can tell me if it helped-haha. If I combine that with TM's idea, I wonder if horses are also involved?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have been busy around the house and just remembered to check in again. Time flies when one is busy. Temps were just above freezing today leaving small puddles of water here and there. Expecting temps around 40F tomorrow.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 20:50

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it has been mild here. Snow fog, rain and slushy roads. Not fun, as I should be out collecting for the March of Dimes - nuts, but at least I have till the end of January. Whew, save.

So clues so far: armour, squirrely, socialize.....any help?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

You have me stumped. I know Burton was an explorer though do not remember of what. The info was a tidbit in a book about early scientists/philosophers/explorers in England. Seems there was something scandalous about his work.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

All I can think of is jousting, but that doesn't fit your clues. Can't wait to see the answer!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it is never my intention to skunk you ,and I think my clues were not good enough this time.

Hoplology is a science that studies human combative behavior and performance. The word hoplology is derived from the Greek terms hoplos (a mythical plate-armored animal) and hoplite, the term for the classical Greek warrior. The International Hoplology Society ("IHS") exists to study the evolution and development of human combative behavior. Draeger, drawing upon research and hands-on experience with classical fighting systems, defined hoplology by the 1970s as "the study of the basis, patterns, relationships, and significances of combative behavior at all levels of social complexity." (Draeger 1982) This study encompasses the segment of human culture concerned with weapons, armor, combative accouterments and fighting systems, in regard to their technical characteristics and the ways in which they interact with the economic, political, social and religious institutions of human societies.

So, sorry, no stars. I'll try to come up with better clues next week. Now, I am off to work. I have figured my wiring out, so my monitor/Smart TV is ready to toggle between my own PC, my work unit and cable - only separate keyboards and mice (?). Very cool, and much easier as I was having to switch my VGI cable twice a day, and to connection on my old PC is dodgy, to say the least. Now it will last longer!!

I will check in to see Cyn's post and try to play along in breaks. See you all next week!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Other Sir Richard Burton

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the trivia, Nancy. Also interesting to know more about Sir Richard Burton, explorer. The link brought back memories of some of the info I had read about him previously.

Sponsored