Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

thinman
13 years ago

Speaking of dishes with funny names, the pasta dish you see here is called strozzapreti in Italian.

{{gwi:594925}}

Translated, it has to do with an act that, if you did it, would probably get you excommunicated as well as a long prison sentence. (I'm not really sure about the excommunicated part. I don't know what it takes these days to make that happen.)

What do you think strozzapreti means?

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Geez, I haven't the faintest, but that dish looks delicious.
    I'll lurk for awhile looking for clues but not too long, I want to go find the recipe.

Annette

• frogview00
    13 years ago

Excommunicated and prison, hmmmmmm???????...gay primavera?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Well, I see pine nuts, pesto and cherry tomatoes. Small, twisted pasta that I don't think I've seen before, and I used to shop in an Italian grocery. It does look yummy though, and perfect for the new year. Gay primavera??!! That would definitely get you excommunicated, I think. Since it is so small, I am thinking young somethingerother.
    Must think more.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

No clue, but it looks delish! Is it fair to call my neighbor who was born in Naples?

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I cheated and went to Google Translate. Hey, I was close.

DISQUALIFIED

13 years ago

Scratching head here, something involving a priest?

TM, I hope you can give us the recipe for this delicious looking dish.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's back to winter for us today, with a temp of 20F, wind and snow. We actually had 40s on Friday with rain, though not the frog-strangler kind they are getting in Australia now, thank goodness. Oh well, it's good weather for being inside and thinking about trivia.

Hope you are all comfy and cozy today. I suppose you Canadians would be cosy, right? :-)

TM

13 years ago

Yep, its nice and cozy in our house. The insert we have in our fireplace is heating the whole house, our oil furnace hasn't kicked in all day. You can't beat that wood heat :).

Everything outside is frozen hard, grey and dismal but no snow since november. Right now it's about 32F outside, later tonight it'll be down around 23F.

Still can't figure out what the answer to today's trivia is, looks like you've beat me again. Since there's no hints coming forth I'm off to google strozzapreti.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Our snow disappeared over the weekend. It is grey and cold. Nice gas furnace here to keep us warm - don't really miss splitting wood - lol, but I do like wood heat!
    TM kept saying cozy/cosy. Hmmm - cosetti??? not sure what that would mean. I guess that's my guess cause I'm almost off to bed.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I'm reading but don't have any idea of the answer.

It's cold here tonight, temps 14-15 below average expected all week.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like I stumped you. The answer does show up in our writings above, but it's not obvious at all. Annette was right about it involving a priest, and my frog-strangler phrase had the other piece of the puzzle. Strozzapreti means priest strangler or priest choker.

As you probably found out, Annette, I can't give you the recipe for the dish, as strozzapreti refers to the type of pasta, not the dish. (I didn't know this when I first posted the question.) You can have strozzapreti with anything you like on your pasta.

Like Hoppin' John, there are different stories about how this pasta got its name, so who really knows?

for Annette for getting the priest part.

Sorry I didn't give better hints for this one, my friends. It was a hard one to guess. Thanks for playing trivia with we this weekend.

TM

13 years ago

LOL, kind of a gruesome name for such a delicious looking dish, thanks for the stars but don't think I deserve them.
    I can just see the look on DH's face if I tell him Choke a Priest with a side of Tabacco Worms sauteed with Frog Legs is next up on the menu, maybe he'll take me out for dinner :)

Not as bad as it sounds, tabacco worms (beans) frog Legs (shallot) probably quite delicious, just might try it one night if I can find a nice strozzapreti dish to make.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I love that! I am going to see if my neighbor knows that. He probably does,but it will be fun to quiz him. Good question, TM!

Sponsored