Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Ack, I am so late today! Sorry.

So, this week I was thinking about my grandmother who was a nurse in Philadelphia 100 years ago (not a clue, btw). Then, my son was sick (he thinks it was the norovirus, but who knows-no matter what, he felt lousy, but is fine now). I began to wonder about hospitals (also, Chuck is having surgery for three(!) hernias on Friday-yuck). I was going to ask about the first hospital ever built, but found conflicting dates and places (Iraq, India, etc.). I will need to research more on that, I guess, but for today, can you tell me where and in which century the first hospital was built on the North American mainland?

A bientot, mes amis. I am off to look for cheap airfares to Paris for spring break-hey a woman can dream, can't she? ;)

Cynthia

Comments (18)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmmm...the first hospital in NA...that could be tough. I guess I should look to the earliest settlements. Where would that be?? Must think.

I was fortunate to climb the stairs to the first Askelpion, often touted as a precursor to hospitals. Askeplios believed that a beautiful or healing view, would help healing people - course he also suggested you lie on the ground with you ear to it, so that the snake in the earth could tell you what was wrong. This was little before the time of Hippocrates. I must say that the healing view was lovely, though.
    Annette - are you shaken, but not stirred?? Another 7.5 quake north and west of you - hope all is OK.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

First hospital in N.A. I'm leaning towards Mexico possibly the 16th century.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brr, Annette.

11 years ago

Mmmmmm sounds like I should head north toot sweet :)

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, I am thinking that, as much as I love stone walls, maybe I should wall in our whole lot and create a charming garden within where all the neighbors are out!

:) Annette!

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that the bit of French was a clue, and I'm leaning toward Quebec. Montreal maybe? Maybe?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, we were posting a la meme fois, TM. Read my last post. Do you want to adjust slightly?

Cynthia

11 years ago

Now you've got me thinking it might be Quebec city.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

The oldest walled city in NA is further up river, TM. Am I warm, Cyn??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phew, getting downright hot in here. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol - one of my favourite places to visit!! There is an Irish town down near the water that is over 400 years old, if memory serves me right!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ah, the walled city. That's a trivia question from our recent past, isn't it?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

We talked about it, as I recall. I remember my high school history about Hochelaga and Stadacona, in Lower Canada!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am dicovering that losing my memory allows me infinite opportunities to learn something 'new.' ;) Completely forgot that we talked about Quebec before!

uhoh-also need to amend my question. Annette, you get extra stars for saying Mexico-****. I needed to add "north of Mexico" to my question. Indeed, the first hospitals were founded by the Spanish and Cortes founded the two earliest hospitals in North America: the Immaculate Conception Hospital and the Saint Lazarus Hospital. Immaculate Conception was older and is now the Hospital de Jesús Nazareno in Mexico City. It was founded in 1524 to care for the poor.
    The first hospital north of Mexico was the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.

So, now that you have the city for the first mainland hospital in N.A.(north of Mexico)- **** to the three of you -care to take a stab at the century?

Cynthia, who is hanging her head in shame

11 years ago

1600's?
    Nancy, everything's O.K. here. Once again we didn't feel a thing.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette, I hope others are listening! Haha.

My Packers are playing and half-time is over, so back to the game. See you all in the morning.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So a total of **** **** for Annette who got both the city and the century plus **** for her first answer which was actually correct for the way I phrased the question.

**** for TM and Nancy who also got Quebec.

The first hospital north of Mexico was the Hotel-Dieu de Quebec. It was established in New France in 1639 by three Augustinians from l'Hotel-Dieu de Dieppe in France. The project, begun by the niece of Cardinal de Richelieu was granted a royal charter by King Louis XIII and staffed by a colonial physician, Robert Giffard de Moncel.

To go a little further, in Europe, the medieval concept of Christian care evolved during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries into a secular one, but it was in the eighteenth century that the modern hospital began to appear, serving only medical needs and staffed with physicians and surgeons. The Charite (founded in Berlin in 1710) is an early example.

Happy Sunday everyone. We have another clear, not-too-cold day-perfect for the Redskins first play-off game in years!

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So a total of **** **** for Annette who got both the city and the century plus **** for her first answer which was actually correct for the way I phrased the question.

**** for TM and Nancy who also got Quebec.

The first hospital north of Mexico was the Hotel-Dieu de Quebec. It was established in New France in 1639 by three Augustinians from l'Hotel-Dieu de Dieppe in France. The project, begun by the niece of Cardinal de Richelieu was granted a royal charter by King Louis XIII and staffed by a colonial physician, Robert Giffard de Moncel.

To go a little further, in Europe, the medieval concept of Christian care evolved during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries into a secular one, but it was in the eighteenth century that the modern hospital began to appear, serving only medical needs and staffed with physicians and surgeons. The Charite (founded in Berlin in 1710) is an early example.

Happy Sunday everyone. We have another clear, not-too-cold day-perfect for the Redskins first play-off game in years! Hope they win just like the Packers did last night!

Cynthia

Sponsored