Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

thinman
13 years ago

Opening weather comment: Ooh, cold here this morning - only single digits. DW and I are going to hop in the truck and take a couple of extra sheets of insulation back to Lowe's this morning, and Annie the dog will get to go with us. I wouldn't want to leave her in her kennel at these temps, though she does have an insulated sleeping area in a tool shed. DW says we'll be eating lunch at Applebee's and that's usually good.

Your question for the day is this: What is a hot wire cutter used for? I think you're more likely to know this one than yesterday's.

ThinMan

Comments (10)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Okay TM, with you in the single digits, I won't complain about the need for my own extra insulation when I go outside in 20 degree weather anymore! I suspect you gave us too many clues...?

I think I know this, shocking as that may seem!

Hope your excursion and lunch were fun and that Annie got a doggie bag!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Yep, I know this one, at least I think I know this one :). Have a small slab of it floating on the goldfish pool, gives the fish some place to hide from the darn kingfishers in the winter.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Cold as H here, but very sunny, so I will take the trade-off. Confused....thought the answer was shocking, till I read Annette's post. So, the styrofoam was 'cut' to measure???

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I'm confused now, too. I must be wrong. I was thinking along electrical lines and repair and avoiding being shocked. Hmmm.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I guess I will go with insulated (rubber coated maybe?) wire cutters for times when you aren't sure the electricity has been turned off. Well, either that or a tool used by car thieves-:)

13 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's for cutting through Styrofoam, have you ever sawed through styrofoam? VERY messy, there's been many times when I wish I had one of those things.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is what one type looks like.

{{gwi:595020}}

Yes, they are used for cutting plastic foam, Nancy and Annette. for each of you.

Annette - Yes! I have sawed through styrofoam. I just finished making a walk-in cooler in my basement and I had to cut a lot of pieces of foam. First I tried heating a big knife with a torch and using that. It worked well, but it was hard to get a straight line and the burning foam would stink when I was reheating the knife, which was often. I switched to a saw and got the mess. A hot wire cutter would have helped, but you can only cut relatively thin widths with one.

Cynthia, I liked your answer too, and there definitely are insulated wire cutters, but I've never heard them called hot wire cutters. I used a pair to cut hot wires once when I didn't realize they were hot. There were sparks!

Thanks, ladies, for playing trivia with me this weekend.

TM

13 years ago

Talk about making a mess, when I was propagating a lot of fuchsias before I had my cloning machine, I got DH to make a styrofoam insert for one of those plastic flats with a clear plastic dome lid. He cut a lot of small holes, just big enough to hold those little one ounce plastic cups. I'd half fill the cups with water, pop the fuchsia cuttings in, stick the lid on, 10 days later I had rooted cuttings.

Walk in cooler? Like a cold room for storing veggies etc, Wish I had one.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, how cool is that!

Annette, cloning machine??? Now that should be a trivia question!

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right Annette, only I'll be using mine to hold flowers at about 40 F for a day or two so I don't have to pick every last stem the day before market.

TM

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio