Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Oh, I am a lazy cat this am. And I thought I had a great Tiriva question ready to go, but when I did my final polish and double-check -- sigh. No good. So, thank goodness for the little archives I have started!! This is my favourite comic strip these days.

Well, you seem to like words as much as you like music, so here goes:

{{gwi:595268}}

And no, please don't go to the dictionary app!!

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh dear. I have to recuse myself. I love this strip too and looked up the word when it first ran. Very funny.

Cynthia

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Good morning Nancy! I hope you had a good sleep in, if in fact you got to sleep. I am up early cause I had an insulin reaction at 3 am and had to check my BS. I was listening to a book on CD by Robert Anthony as I was falling asleep last night. Must have worked my mind overtime. Oh this diabetes gets to me some days. :(

Are you looking for the meaning of the word "anoesis"? Oh dear, I guess I will have to meditate on that one. Could be a tough word to articulate. :)

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cyn - that was one of the reasons I 'sat' on it for a while. lol. Ginny, hope your sugar is level now. That would scare me, not knowing what my body was doing. Then again, my body does some other really weird things!!

Anoesis it is!! Any clues??

Nancy.

12 years ago

BS is back to normal; well, normal for me. Thanks for your concern.

Just did a short med. session to balance myself again too.I have been praticing meditation, yoga, qi gong and "zoning" out in some form or another most of my life. If you haven't already, you sould try it . Bliss is heaven sent! :)

I gave my clue in the first post. Here's a bigger one. :)

Ginny

• thinman
    12 years ago

All I'm coming up with so far by looking at the word is a bit disgusting, like emesis, but at a different location.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Mmmmm, not sure I'm on the right track with this, later.....

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:595270}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Nancy, I am sort of glad I had already looked this up. Now I can spend the day taking in football and stupid tv without needing to using my brain at all. Fun!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. ;-))

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, let's break it down:

a / noes / is

Any help??

Nancy.

12 years ago

I first heard this word, or rather the opposite of this word in a Critical Thinking class in University. Later in the practice of meditation, yoga, and qi gong. I am reminded of two other words aerobic and anaerobic. Don't know if this helps.

Ginny

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I don't know the word but will take a guess from the meditation clues that it has something to do with being mindless, thoughtless, blank. That kind of goes along with the second strip. He doesn't know he insults himself because he doesn't think.

Bobbie

12 years ago

I believe the word means a state of conciousness free of intellectual or rational thought. Like a place you go when you meditate and move beyond the chatter of thought to pure reception. Noetic and autonoetic are other states of conciousness in reference to meditation. I like to go there when I am deeply involved in something that I can do almost automatically, where I hear and see nothing beyond what I am involved in. Sort of a spongelike state. :)

Ginny

• thinman
    12 years ago

I like the way the rest of you are thinking better than what I was thinking.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I'm with you TM LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, well there, the little grey cells kicked in, n'est pas??

a / noes / is

A condition of being without thought. I like to think of it as clueless for my sea-faring friend in the cartoon strip!! My mother used to say ignorance is bliss. Or, as the Beatles said, Relax turn off your mind and float downstream.

So, for Ginny, mnwsgal, TM and Annette:

Thanks for playing this week. Well, another year has not dulled your thought processes!! Give yourself a pat on your back. I look forward to challenging you next week.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomorrow Never Knows

• thinman
    12 years ago

Or as the Car Talk guys, Click and Clack, describe themselves, "Unencumbered by the thought process."

Thanks for the stars, Nancy, but I really didn't deserve them. How about if I just hold on to them until the next time I get one right and you won't have to give me any then? No matter how long that takes.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Consider them stars to enlighten your path!

Nancy.

12 years ago

That was an easy one for me Nancy! Lol! I can't say that I always achieve an anoetic state through meditation but I have (on occasion) lost time while involved in writing or creating. I think the Beatles took a short cut to anoesis and beyond! :)

Thanks for the trivia! Hope all have a satisfying week.

Namaste

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah Ginny - I think they are all easy ones for you.

Nancy.

12 years ago

Well that sounded just a little too condescending to me. I was under the impression you wanted people to "join in " on the fun. Twice is just too much for me.