Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Upstairs,Downstairs series returning...

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Found this posted on another forum. PBS will be bringing back the series "Upstairs,Downstairs". I loved the original series, not sure how good the new one will be but I'll have to check it out.

April 10, 17 & 24, 2011 at 9pm

Upstairs Downstairs

Upstairs Downstairs is an updated version of one of the most-loved and most-honored series in television history. The series has a new cast of characters and Jean Marsh reprising her Emmy-winning role as Rose. The cast also includes the original series co-creator Eileen Atkins (Cranford), Keeley Hawes (MI-5), Ed Stoppard, and Art Malik (The Jewel in the Crown) with a script by Emmy-nominee Heidi Thomas (Cranford).

Comments (14)

• BecR
    13 years ago

Guess I am not the only one who loves the show 'Upstairs Downstairs'.;-) Happy to hear it is coming back--and with Jean Marsh, too!!! That is amazing, after all these years!:)

Another good British series of that period is 'The Duchess of Duke Street'--a really great series, are you familiar with that one, Christine? I highly recommend.

Our library has many of the dvds for both of these BBC shows...maybe yours does, too.

Becky

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Great, I loved that show. I hope it airs up my way too. Another one I really liked was 'The House of Elliot' anyone remember that one.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"The Dutchess of Duke Street" and "The House of Elliot" both sound familiar. Would they have been on Masterpiece Theater with Alistair Cooke - in the early days? I always thought Hazel in "Upstairs,Downstairs" was so beautiful and the name fit her so well. All the characters are memorable.
    Poor Ruby! Mrs. Bridges treated her so mean, but we all knew she had Ruby's best interests at heart.

Another favorite that comes to mind was the series about the young man who loved airplanes, was it "Flambards"? His name was William, and a very good friend of mine who also loved the series (a guy!) years later named his son William - Will for short. Just like in the show.

And another - the series was about a soldier during the Revolutionary War, or maybe just the British army. The actor was so good looking and went on to be in many movies after that. I have such a poor memory.

13 years ago

Flambords, I must of missed that one. Then there's Brideshead Revisited, I never saw this one either so maybe I can find them on dvd, Amazon here I come :). The Mayor of Casterbridge is another one I saw not too long ago.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The series about the soldier was "Poldark"! I did a Google search and found this list of Masterpiece Theater series. Scroll clear down for the older ones - remember "The Irish RM?" Oh, I loved that one! I even named my dog, "Flueri" or "Flora" after the name of that rascal groundskeeper(?) in that series. It had a wonderful theme song, "Haste to the Wedding", which years later I played on my fiddle when I played with a English Contra dance band. Nice memories as I look through this list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterpiece Theater

• BecR
    13 years ago

Some of these titles sound familiar, I will have my DH take a look and see if he recognizes any of them...thanks for the link.:)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Downton Abbey" begins tonight on PBS, Masterpiece Theater. It's apparently a new series, one that I've never seen anyway, and takes place in the years from the sinking of the Titanic up to World War I. Very similar to the later years of "Upstairs,Downstairs" sounds like.

13 years ago

Whoo Hoo, I looked at our tv schedule and "Downtown Abbey" is on at nine, Doc Martin is on at 6. Thanks for the heads up I did have it set to record but had forgotten I'd already done this, I could have turned the pvr off without thinking, this getting old ain't for sissies LOL.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wasn't too impressed with the first episode of Downton Abbey last night however it did get better towards the end. Didn't care for the American actress playing the lady of the house, nor for the actor playing the head butler for some reason. Too many "stereo-typical" characters you see in these kinds of productions.i.e Mrs. Hughes and Daisy. But I'm sure I'll tune in next week.

13 years ago

LOL, I took a dislike to the head butler too, it could be we're supposed to dislike him, a sign of a good piece of acting? I found it a little hard to get into at first but will definitely watch next week.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Was the actor who plays the head butler in the movie "Shakespeare in Love"? I think he played one of the actors in the troupe, played Juliet's nurse in Romeo and Juliet.

13 years ago

"Shakespeare in Love" Haven't seen it yet, so can't help you out on who played who.

Remember the vet series 'All Creatures Great and Small' Another favorite of mine.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Shakespeare in Love" It wasn't a series on TV, it was a movie starring Gwenyth Paltrow (sp?), although they do show it on TV quite often. I'd look up the date it was made,ect. but if I log out of Garden Web, it takes me forever to get logged back in.

It's one of my all time favorite movies.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, don't log out of GW, open another window (click file then new window) in your program (I use Firefox or Safari). The first window will stay where you are in GW and you can surf on the second window. Then you can move back and forth to copy.

I open a second window and sometimes a third or fourth whenever I want to add a photo or look up some info.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH