Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Although I know I shouldn't say this considering what all of you live with every winter, it certainly is cold here! It is supposed to go down into single digits tonight. We did get some snow last night (it is Friday night now-we have a memorial service/luncheon for an elderly neighbor tomorrow). It was a wet heavy snow and Clouseau and I went out to run around and play in twice last night. So much fun. Now, all your cold weather has descended on us, so I am staying in and watching an old Inspector Morse on television.

Which brings me to today's question. Do you know either the author or the title (or both) of the very first murder mystery?

I will check in in the morning before we leave and then mid-afternoon when we expect to return.

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Nope, I can't say I know much about the history of the mystery. Sherlock Holmes books would be about as far back as I can think of. I suppose there is hope for me with a big fat clue or two. We'll see.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Good one Cyn, I have no idea who it woud be other than a pure guess. Clues, yes clues please.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I may have been a little unfair-although the answer I am looking for is the first murder/detective tale, it is a short story, not a novel.

It is so cold here that our newest addition at the National zoo (Bao Bao, our baby panda) has not been allowed out. The keepers did bring her a bowl of snow, however. Too cute. I wonder if the orangs have been allowed out. Their enclosures are set up so that they can move from one to the other on ropes above visitors heads. Very agile.

It is so cold that even our beautiful Annabel Lee gets chilled. Our darling Frenchman Clouseau continues to stay outside. Crazy pup.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm...I did some research last week on detective stories cause I thought I had found a crackerjack question. You know, you can't trust what you hear on TV - lol. My guess is that TM is warm.

Cynthia, I think you got some of that east coast dump, yes? Careful what you wish for!! Stay warm. We are in a deep freeze, but tomorrow looks not too bad.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One would expect the answer to be connected to England, but then, one would be wrong.

Off to our memorial. Wish we were off to Paris instead! Wouldn't care how cold it was!

Cynthia

10 years ago

Hmmmm, I'm getting the vibe that France and possible an ape might be involved. I just may know this one after all being the movie buff I am :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh, Oh, Oh. The letter 'M' comes to mind. His character has been on our Murdoch Mysteries TV program. I think this is correct. Mon Dieu.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I used to know this one but it is lost in the mists of time. Maybe the clues will remind me.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back home. Looks like Annette has this solved.

Nancy, as much as I enjoy the character, Maigret is not in this story, but you and Annette are right about the setting, although the author is from a city much closer to (my) home. Would it give it away if I told you he was from Baltimore, Maryland?

I think my mother must have bundled me up too much as a baby. I can never seem to get warm. Also, I rue the day we didn't make sure this house was well-insulated when we bought it! Sigh.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Murder mystery, debuting in America. Hmmmmm....very confused.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ah, your clue reminded me, Cynthia.

The birds are coming to the feeders to fuel up during this cold weather. I have been watching so I can shoo away the crows which love the suet. I want to shout at them, go away and return never more.

• thinman
    10 years ago

An ape may be involved? OK, I think I have it -- Tarzan and The Mystery of Macoombaloomba.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I would definitely read that book, TM! Haha.

I hear you Bobbie! Those huge black birds are around here again these days.

Gosh, today has flown by. I just realized it is already 7:00 and the hands keep turning and the pendulum keeps swinging. Only one day left before it is time for school again. This is the pits. :(

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhhh....Mr. P...I had no idea.

Nancy.

10 years ago

So I'm thinking it's M. at the R. M. by E.A.P.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annette. Should I rue the day I made that feeble Tarzan joke? Probably.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for you all! Yes, the first murder detective story was Edgar Allan Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue. It always struck me as a tad ridiculous, but in 1841, perhaps not. The detective is Auguste Dupin who solves the murders of a woman (throat slashed and thrown out window)and her daughter (strangled and hidden in chimney). Seems an "ourang-outang" committed the crime.

So for you all four stars! Plus one special one in the next post. Tried to clone/copy it to make four, but could not. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Murders in the Rue Morgue

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And your special star!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Very COOL!! Love it. you know, afterwards, I remembered that the first was Poe - I was so focused on trying to come up with a Sherlock Holmes question, I forgot. I saw a TV doc on Conan Doyle and the stories - they claimed that the Sherlock Holmes stories were the most translated stories ever. I googled it, to verify, and found nothing to support that claim. In fact, according to Google that honour belongs to L. Ron Hubard, and I was just not going there!! lol.

Thanks for the fun, Cyn.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I generally think of Poe's stories classified as macabre so was surprised to read that he was considered the author of the first mystery. Read an article about this sometime in the last year.

Thanks for the question and stars, Cynthia. Nice to know the answer even if it needed to be nudged from my memory.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun and the stars, Cynthia, even if I totally rode in on Annette's coattails regarding Murders in the Rue Morgue. I had Poe, but couldn't remember the title.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, but that was all you needed TM.

Have a marvelous week all.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH