Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Sunday Trivia

Well, I didn't get Cyn's question, so maybe I'm not qualified to post a question - ;-)) However,

What song did Frank Sinatra call "the greatest love song ever written"? He sangs it hundreds of times, at various concerts. Hint #1 - it's not a war-era tune.

Cheers, Nancy.

Comments (22)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I don't know if you have heard an Elvis rendition of this hit. One of my favorites.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Darn, I love all the wartime ones! Thanks for the hint, mnwsgal. I think I may have it now. I will check back later.

Have a wonderful Sunday, all. Hope you are finding the Sunshine state welcoming and warm, TM!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry guys. Elvis died about 20 years before this song was written, though I bet they're jammin' in Rock'n Roll heaven.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Is it the one GH wrote?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now Annette, why did I think I could fool you?? Yes, it is a GH song, though Sinatra often referred to it as a L&M song.

Nancy.

13 years ago

This one used to make my toes curl way back when, come to think of it still does, that is until they start to cramp LOL.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

If it is the GH song I referred to it was written in 1969, long before Elvis died. All I have to do is think of...it, and smile.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh heck - I can't even tell time - lol. Sorry for the misdirect guys. MN, I think you too have it!! I couldn't find any info on Elvis singing or recording it, so didn't reinforce that thought. Cyn??

Nancy.

13 years ago

I really like Elton John's rendition of this piece too.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I had the wrong thought at first-that Elvis clue threw me off. Now, George was always my favorite and I can think of one song in particular. There was just something about it that made it extra-special!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Here's a recording of Elvis singing something interesting at his l970 Vegas show.

He also recorded it on his Aloha, Hawaii album which I played on Jan. 8, his b'day.

Love this GH version (Live in London 1992) with the guitar solos. Live in London 1992

Here is a link that might be useful: Elvis

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Sorry, didn't mean to hit the submit button.

Here's GH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live in London

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

And here's Frank.

Wonderful all the music and videos on Y-tube.
    This is my first day home from vacation and I guess I'm not ready to do laundry and get back in the swing of normal life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinatra

13 years ago

My fav is still George's, sigh....

Here is a link that might be useful: George

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Elton John

Wikipedia says the song has been recorded by over 150 artists. I promise not to link to all of them. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Live 2002 at Rainforrest concert

• thinman
    13 years ago

Well, I still don't know what it is. GH... is that Good Housekeeping? That was my first odd thought, but I suppose maybe it was George Harrison. It sure wasn't Gabby Hayes, that's for darn tootin'!

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, TM. lol, not Gabby Hayes indeed. It is their 2nd most covered song/hit!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Now that I have reformed after melting into a puddle on the floor after listening to the various links (Gabby Hayes' rendition, had he done it, would have been a hoot), I think we all know. m'gal, fun to hear the Elvis version-never heard it before-love his voice.

TM, play those for your DW for Valentine's Day!

What a great question, Nancy!

• thinman
    13 years ago

OK, I really don't know it, but I'm going to guess Yesterday, though I sorta thought Sir Paul had written that one.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This from Wikipedia:
    "Something" is a song by The Beatles, written by lead guitarist George Harrison in 1969. It was featured on the album Abbey Road, and was also the first song written by George Harrison to appear on the A-side of a Beatles' single. It was one of the first Beatles' singles to contain tracks already available on a long playing (LP) album, with both "Something" and "Come Together" having appeared on Abbey Road. "Something" was the only Harrison composition to top the American charts while he was in The Beatles.
    The song has been covered by over 150 artists including Elvis Presley, Shirley Bassey, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, James Brown, Julio Iglesias, The Miracles, Eric Clapton and Joe Cocker, and is the second-most covered Beatles' song after "Yesterday". Harrison is quoted as saying that his favorite cover of the song was that of James Brown's, keeping Brown's version in his personal jukebox.
    Frank Sinatra was particularly impressed with "Something"; calling it "the greatest love song ever written," he sang it hundreds of times at various concerts. However, he once made the comment that "Something" was his all-time favourite Lennon/McCartney song (knowing neither composed the track), and frequently introduced it as such. Harrison did not appear to mind this, and instead borrowed an alteration to the lyric that Sinatra had made. Where the original song was "You stick around now it may show," Sinatra sang "You stick around, Jack, she might show." This change was adopted by Harrison, who used the same lyrics whenever he performed "Something" as part of his touring repertoire.

Well duh, in reading it I now see the Elvis reference. Sorry 'bout that!!

So, for mnswgal, Annette and Cyn,

And for TM,

{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}

....thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your weekend off!!

Thanks to everyone for humouring me and playing.

Nancy.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Now that you mention Something, it comes back to me right away, but I don't think I would have thought of it. I never realized that it was so popular and often covered.

Great question, Nancy. Thanks for the starfish. The weather in Florida is beautiful, and I won't want to go home at the end of the week.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy. I must say that I agree, George always does it best!

Glad you are enjoying your vacation, TM.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!