Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers,

After a week of spring weather, during which I was working, it is now cold and windy again for the weekend. Oh well. I am ready for warm weather even though it has been a mild spring since I really do need to get back to exercising by walking the pups. Yesterday, one of our little autistic kids looked at me and said, "Do you have a baby in there?" Looks like I need to get serious if I want to go back to looking less like two people and more like just one! Ha! Out of the mouths of babes...

Today, I have a word trivia again. I vaguely remember TM having something similar once, but I don't think his was the same. Let me know if it was, TM, and I will do a quick change so as not to bore you all!

Here you are: What do the words AGUE, AVE, RUGGED, BOA, OLE, RAGGED, NAKED, and SOUR have in common?

Comments (16)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I've done something similar, but those words don't look familiar, and I definitely don't have the answer figured out yet.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh good. Hope you enjoy playing with them.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ooo, this will be a good one to put on the whiteboard at work!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm, must think on this.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, while you are thinking, there are a couple of clues in my post today.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

I think I see what it might be, but I'll keep my answer vague so as not to give it away.

TM

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I'm thinking but have never been very good at these types of questions.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My DH, a competitive Scrabble club player, and I have come up with two things these words have in common.

2. I think it may be this one which is more complex with sour being the most difficult.
    1. This one is simpler and simpler is often the one most noted so maybe I should change my answer.

Cyn, your story was funny and didn't bore me. Part of the fun is searching for the clues in your posts. I found at least four.

12 years ago

Aha, scrabble, making new words out of old words :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all SO much fun to play with!

• thinman
    12 years ago

So my thought is that each of the two syllable words can be made into a one syllable word by adding a letter or maybe two.

VAGUE, WAVE, DRUGGED, BOAT, VOLE, DRAGGED, SNAKED, and SOURCE

I couldn't come up with any new one syllable word for sour by adding only one letter, so I had to add two. Maybe there's a word I didn't think of. I'm not even positive that sour is a two syllable word, but I kept saying it to myself, and I guess it is.

So, right or wrong, that's my guess.

TM

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

The two things we found in common were

2. Two syllable words turn into one syllable words with the addition of one or two letters.
    VAGUE, HAVE, DRUGGED, BOAR, HOLE, DRAGGED, SNAKED, and
    SOURCE

1. All can be made into a new word with the addition of just one letter.
    VAGUE, SAVE, DRUGGED, BOAT, POLE, DRAGGED, SNAKED, and
    SOURS

My answer is the same as TM's--two syllables to one syllable.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I rejected all the one letter additions that I tried in my mind this afternoon. After reading TM's comment tonight/early morning I Goggled all one letter additions to sour and came up with sourt.

Sourt:
    a shoot or bud
    a gushing of a liquid, ie: blood from a wound

None of the four dictionaries cited included a pronunciation or a syllable notation so I don't know if this is a one syllable word pronounced with a long o or if it is pronounced sour with the t sound on the end making it a two syllable word.

This was a fun question, Cynthia, and your clues gave me direction. Thanks.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:596715}}From Drop Box

Four stars for TM and Bobbie! All the words are two-syllable wors that become one-sylllable words with the addition of one or more letters. In addition to vague, ague can become plague, ave can become, for example,have or cave or wave. Some others: ole/sole, ole/whole, rugged/shrugged.

Thanks for playing. If the late sleepers Nancy and Annette had it, but you just didn't get back to spell it out ;), let me know. I am very liberal when it comes to doling out stars (oooh, dole works for ole, too-cool).

Happy Sunday all.

Cynthia

ps. humph-finally was able to actually give you stars, but can't seem to line them up in a nice row. Next week's trivia: What are the odds that Cynthia will ever figure this out?

12 years ago

Nope, no stars for me :(.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol. Nancy forgot to take her sheet to work with her, then got preoccupied when she got home. I never would have figured these out!! Good mental exercise, though. Like the word jumbles in the newspaper, and I'm not great a those either!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional