Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers,

Brrr, it is cold here, but nothing like most of you are experiencing, so I shouldn't complain. These are, after all, the best years of our lives. Chuck had a cardiac catheterization (angiogram) on Thursday and all is fine for the most part. No blockages. Anyway, I was driving him around yesterday and at the hospital all day Thursday, so today's question is not clever, but I think it will be fun.

A friend at school gave me the book Alphabet Juice (sorry, don't know how to underline on the iPad) by Roy Blount, Jr. It is great fun to read if you are a word nerd as I am! Anyway, there is one entry on a Polish immigrant named Schmuel Gelbfisz who was born in Warsaw in 1880 and became a powerful figure in the US. I will give you the field later if you need it (not medicine). Anyway, he was also known for his malapropisms that may remind you of Yogi Berra. You will probably recognize most of them. They have become part of our language now I think-at least for those of us whose parents would have grown up laughing and hearing their parents laugh over them.

Here are two to start: "anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined." "Flashbacks are a thing of the past."

Today's question is, by what name do we know Schmuel Gelbfisz today?

Comments (16)

• thinman
    11 years ago

This sounds like fun. I don't have any guesses at this point, but with luck and more clues, that may change.

Kinda chilly here today too, 10 F, with a bunch of fresh white snow to pretty things up. I'll be heading out to clear the driveway, and the neighbors' driveways, a little later this morning.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, I hope you have a snow blower! I do love snow and bet it is beautiful there.

Ok, here are two more:
    "A hospital is no place to be sick."
    "Bon Voyage" which he cried out to his friends onshore as he departed on an ocean liner.

He kept his initials the same when he Anglicized his name.

Oh, btw, do any of you use Netflix? I bought a subscription for Chuck years ago for Christmas. It is only $8/month, but we have never used it. I don't know how to pull up the movies on the tv. Maybe that is not possible unless the tv is fancy schmancy. So frustrating. Is there a trick? Do we have to do the mail thing? I hought with cable, we could just pull up the ovies on the tv. Alas, word nerd, techno idiot.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...I thought I had this till you said he kept the same initials. Now I need more clues!! Oh, wait, movies were a clue, yes?? Aha!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Oh, I have a snow blower alright. :)
    {{gwi:596851}}

So ... the initials are SG, huh? I was thinking in that direction, but I haven't come up with anything yet. It's just a matter of time.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Ahhh, is a "M" associated somewhere down the line?

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

I can think of only one famous SG so far, and he definitely was in the entertainment field, though I don't know if he was ever an entertainer himself.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoa, TM, that is a snow blower! Wow. My son would think it is the coolest ever!

Here are two more:

"A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it's printed on."

"Go see it for yourself why you shouldn't see it."

Some of these may have been "concocted by writers who resented his sway" over their work. He was also credited with saying, "Don't talk to me when I'm interrupting" which led Blount to comment that someone who would say that works best as his own only partner. Early on, he became one of America's leading glove salesmen before he switched careers.

The crazy dog is here and I am up and down every few minutes as the three maniacs push open the door to run in and then back out, letting all that cold air in the house. When Koda is here, Clouseau is never given a moment to sit on the bench on the deck looking out like a lion over the yard. When I was in France, I took photos of several lion statues because they so reminded me of him. Best...dog...ever.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Did you know that my astrological sign is Leo? I am rather proud of that!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This fellow was not an entertainer himself, TM, so I suspect you are thinking along the right lines as are Annette and Nancy!

Cynthia, who quit riding the DC metro after September 11

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I reccgnize SG as an early movie mogul/producer. The lion was trademark of one of his early companies.

I am also a Leo.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

We are a prideful bunch!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Annette,Nancy, TM, and Bobbie.

Schmuel changed his name to Samuel Goldfish and began to produce movies under that name in 1914. He formed the Goldwyn Company with two men name Selwyn and adopted that name as his own. Yes, Leo the Lion was their symbol and Ars Gratis Artis, their motto. Samuel Goldwyn had been ousted from the company by the time it became Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Goldwyn became an independent. According to Blount, he pretended to "laugh along with those who quoted his malapropisms" but he "spent time with a therapist to whom he blurted teary-eyed, 'I hate my mouth!'" Rather poignant, I think.

Thanks for playing, all. I have a few more for you:

"We'd do anything for each other; we'd even cut our throats for each other."

My wife's hands are very beautiful. I'm going to have a bust made of them."

"We want a story that starts out with an earthquake and works its way up to a climax."

Have a wonderful evening everyone. We are getting snow and it is so pretty. I doubt it will be enough for a snow blower,though, TM. Very sad about that. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

That was/is interesting. I wonder if the misquotes came from mistranslating....or if he would have done it in Yiddish as well. Ars gratis artis - art for art's sake. Love it.
    Thanks for the stars.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia - fun question, quotes, and answer. If you're getting enough snow to be pretty, I'd say that is just about the right amount. I have to say though, that blowing snow from the heated cab of a tractor is pretty painless.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Sorry, winter sowing and laundry have distracted me.

Thanks for the stars. One doesn't often realize the sadness behind the mirth.

The two inches we had yesterday was so light I swept it from the patio and deck with my broom. Our snow removal guy was here early to clear the driveway. He has had so little work this winter and last that if it is even remotely close to two inches he comes. Another dusting tonight. Expecting 8 inches total over the next week, coming in drabs.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

We are a prideful bunch!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert