Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning Cottagers!

Now that the Winter Olympics have begun, I obviously need to quiz you on your knowledge!

1. Bjorn Daehlie of Norway has won the most medals in winter mens' competitions and Raisa Smetanina (USSR) is the most medaled woman competitor. Interestingly, they both competed in the same sport. Can you name it?

2. Only two countries in the southern hemisphere have won medals. Which two?

3. The Shea family of Lake Placid is the only family to hold this distinction. What would it be?

4. The 1956 Winter Games in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, were the first to be televised. Which games were the first to be broadcast in color? You will medal for naming either the place or the year.

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning, Cyn - I am in dager of elimination!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In thinking about your answer to Bobbie's DH, isn't Scrabble like a cross-word? ;)

So, I am starting to think of my next trip to France. It will be the summer
    after the upcoming one. If I am retired by then, we can go in the fall which would be nice. We also talked about going over the holidays, but I pretty much hate being out in the cold, so winter is out unless we stick to Paris which is wonderful any time of the year. Of course, if we were skiing or skating, the cold wouldn't bother me.

John's sweetie mentioned yesterday that they want to have children sooner than later now-woohoo. Can't wait to have a multi-generational photo taken! Of course, their sooner is relative I suspect. I think this past week has us all thinking about treasuring every moment.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I have a guess for #2 but that's about it.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I think #1 has to do with strapping on the boards. #2 & #3, hmmmm - no clue.
    #4 might be a year many of us are thinking of today!!

Nancy - who is off to work!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, not quite the right year if you are thinking of a 50th musical anniversary!

Just watched the ice skating team competitions. In the Ladies competition, there is a young Russian who is just amazing. The ladies have moved so far beyond what was being done back when I was skating in the 60s. I remember thinking Peggy Fleming was wonderful. Compared to today, well, there is no comparison.

We have a new grocery store close by. It markets itself as being a European style market. Chuck bought some fruit. The kiwis are especially good.

Going back to grandchildren...I think it would be so much fun to go cross-country with grandchildren some day. I always wanted to do it with John and never did.

Cynthia, who is being driven nuts by three generations of dogs running in and out all day!

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:09

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I know little about Olympic Winter Games trivia. Am sitting in the sun reading a new mystery from a Mn author, Delivering Death/Julie Kramer. May watch some figure skating sometime before it's all over.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, you have given me clues to 2 & 3. Is #1 like Robert Redford, maybe?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gave clues to #4, too.

Too bad the Southern Alps etc. have winter during summer-ha. We would be throwing dinner on the barbie when they would be skiing.

I have a friend in Ithaca NY who loves winter. She gets her exercise during the winter skiing around her neighborhood-no downhill or slalom. She will be able to it for years and years. Not too many sports like that. :)

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Sorry I haven't been around for the fun until now; other things have interfered, though in a good way.

When I saw Norway in number 1, I thought of Nordic skiing. The clues seem to back me up on that.

Going by Cynthia's hints, I'm thinking Aurtralia and New Zealand for number 2.

Don't know about 3 yet.

For 4, I was thinking 1964 or 1968, probably '68.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guess my clues for number three are lousy. Would it help to know the number of the question could be a clue in and of itself?

The year the Olympics were broadcast in color marked a turning point for interest in the winter games in the US. Two very popular stars came out of those games-one skater (already mentioned above) and one skier on home turf. It was also a return to prominence for us in skating after we had lost our whole skating team in 1961 (plane crash on the way to Worlds-very sad, especially for those of us who were skaters then).

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and glad you have been having a good day, TM!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Here is my attempt from clues
    1. Cross country skiing
    2. I actually knew Australia and will go along with New Zealand
    3. Triathlon. Is this the one with skiing, shooting and can't remember the last one? DH suggests ice fishing!
    4. 1964

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie, for #3, not going for a specific sport, but the unique accomplishment of the Shea family. The sport you are thinking of is the Biathlon. You did, however, pick up on my clues for three.I bet if you look back to my 11:39 post, you will get it! :)

#4 needs a tweak, too.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I get 3, but am struggling with the year.

Nancy - who is stressed and eating chocolate.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

ok - so #1 - downhill - do I need to say slalom, or something?

#2 NZ and Oz

#3 3 generations have medalled

#4 - no idea of the year, but were they in France?

Off work, I took voluntary downtime an hour before it was time go. Not a happy day, with many many grumpy people on the phone. I spent my last 45 minutes trying to walk a legally blind man through Aspect Ratio set-up on his remote - not fun.

Nancy.

10 years ago

Here's mine
    1. Cross Country
    2. Austrailia and New Zealand
    3. Something to do with Skating?
    4. ?????

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Okay, went back to read your previous post and will make changes
    1. Cross country skiing
    2. Australia and New Zealand
    3. three generations of one family to receive medals
    4. 1968. In France

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes! Doing Sunday trivia makes it hard to award stars in a timely manner! Thanks in advance for being patient.

So, here goes:
    1. Cross-country skiing
    2. New Zealand and Australia
    3. Three generations of the Shea family did indeed take part in the games.
    "The Shea Family of Lake Placid, New York, is the first to produce three generations of Olympians. Father Jack, 91, was a double-gold medalist in speed skating, son Jim, Sr., was a U.S. ski team member at the 1964 Innsbruck Games, and in 2002 grandson Jim, Jr., won a gold medal in skeleton."
    4. The 1968 games in Grenoble were the first to be televised in color. Peggy Fleming and Jean-Claude Killy were the two superstars there.

So , for Bobbie, a gold medal! For Nancy and TM silver, and a bronze for Annette. I gave points for the year OR date for #4, figured Nordic skiing would be cross-country, and gave points even if you said the three generations all medalled even though only two won medals. Not sure I would qualify as a judge for the Olympics-haha.

Thanks for playing. Have a terrific week. Looking like we may end up with Thursday off due to snow and sleet. I, of course, will be crossing my fingers. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good fun, Cyn. Interesting to remember those things, at least the one I did know!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the gold medal and the clues and generous scoring.

I am watching the woman's' alpine skiing while I inventory my seeds before starting winter sowing later this week.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Oops, I never got back to check out the final answers. Where the heck did that week go? Thanks for the silver, Cynthia -- great questions. I'm off to the gym next for my thrice-weekly workout.

TM

10 years ago

At least I didn't get skunked altogether, thanks for another fun weekend, you guys are certainly keeping cobwebs from forming in this old noggin. See you all tomorrow morning.

Annette