Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning everyone!

Happy Groundhog Day and Super Bowl Sunday! I was also planning some Super Bowl trivia, but with a different focus than Nancy. However, I think today will be a mishmash of Groundhog Day and Super Bowl questions. Could be disastrous.

Let's start with GH Day. The official GH is Punxutawney Phil from Pennsylvania. Phil's full name is quite the mouthful: "Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators, and Weather Prophet Extraordinary." The Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper gave him that long moniker in 1886. I have not checked yet to see if he saw his shadow, but with all the media outlets there with their bright camera lights, I don't know how he could NOT see his shadow. He has famous friends, too.

1. Which President did Punxutawney Phil meet?
A. Jimmy Carter
B. George W. Bush
C. Ronald Reagan
D. George H. W. Bush

2. True or False: groundhogs are aggressive animals

3. How often is Phil's forecast right ?
A. 39%
B. 52%
C. 27%
D. 68%

4. Do you know what Christian holiday falls on February 2?

And to the Super Bowl...

5. In the beginning, half-time entertainment was marching bands. Who was the first big star to appear as the entertainment without marching bands (Al Hirt played along with marching bands during the first Super Bowl)?
A. Ethel Merman
B. Pearl Bailey
C. Bobby Darrin
D. Carol Channing

6. What was unique about the first Super Bowl?
A. It was played in L.A. forbthe first and last time
B. It was broadcast by two tv stations
C. It snowed starting during the second quarter and the yard lines were
obliterated by third quarter
D. It was the only Super Bowl in the 20th century that was played in
February rather than January

There you have it. I wanted to ask about the two ads that aired only once. Extra credit if you know those!

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wowser. We have our work cut out for us. It looks like it's guessing time again for TM.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OH MY - I am a slacker with only 5 questions!! lol And by the way, our Wiarton Willie would challenge that 'official' status!!

I should know some of the first, but the second, well, I only concentrated on the 'old' trivia. Uh-oh.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Well I think I know which president so I'm not completely skunked.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Northwoods League in Wisconsin has the woodchuck (aka groundhog) as its mascot-the Wisconsin Woodchucks. Phil is a pretty big star in his own right, so I doubt he pals around with lesser luminaries. If you can eliminate one answer, you have about a third of a chance of being right!

So many things have changed now that we are in the 21st century. I always liked looking forward to the Super Bowl. Once it ended, we moved on to other holidays. Now, it seems almost to coincide with other festivities like Mardi Gras or GH day like this year.

I am looking forward to watching the game being played outdoors. As a Packer fan, I think it is so nice to have it back where it belongs. Football just isn't football when it is played indoors. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, I am going to wing it here:
    1 -a
    2 -false
    3 -c
    4 -not a clue!!
    5 -I'm saying c, cause I love him
    6 -c

About the ads, I know nothing!!

{{gwi:597315}}
    Here is a picture of the hood, frosted in snow.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

1. No idea really, but it seems like the kind of thing Jimmy Carter would have done, so A.

2. I don't think of them as aggressive, so it's probably a trick question. I'll go with True.

3. I'll just pick the one closest to 50:50 - B.

4. Is it Groundhogmas?

5. I think it was Carol Channing, D.

6.Wild guess: B

Maybe one of the commercials was the one for Macintosh?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Giggling here, TM. Groundhogmas. You got the 'mas' part right!

Nancy, love your snow picture. Your answers...not so much. Do some flipping for the groundhog ones. Oh, do you have power or are you using candles?

Sorry, as much as I am also a fan of Bobby Darrin, he wasn't the one. He did like blondes, though!

TM, don't think Jimmy had enough star power to be invited into Phil's inner circle. Seems your wild guesses pay off more than your reasoned ones. Hmmm.

Here is one of the commercials that aired only once-about 5 months after September 11. The Super Bowl was delayed in 2002 because of the events.

Here is a link that might be useful: Budweiser 9-11 ad

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the other commercial. Nice memory, TM!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Bowl ad

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

In case I don't get back, I think...
    #1 is "C"
    #2 I'm guessing False
    #3 I'm guessing "A"
    #4 Haven't a clue

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I. C Ronnie
    2 False
    3. D.
    4. D
    5. B

I knew the Apple commercial was only aired once as a paid commercial though it has been shown several times as an example of a great commercial so continues as an unpaid commercial. The best kind of advertising.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 16:41

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hmm, my edits aren't showing up. Here are my revised answers.
    1. C. Ronnie
    2. False
    3. A
    4. I've forgotten this one, think it has to do with a celebration of light and candles.
    5. D. Carol Channing
    6. B. two stations

And what I said above about the Apple commercial. Don't remember the Bud one.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 3:37

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, here we go:
    1. C. Ronald Reagan was the president who met Phil. Phil also met Oprah.
    2. True. Of course, the one we had in our yard ran away from the raccoon and poked his nose out from under our steps to get the apples I tossed him. I thought he was a cutie. Maybe the internet is wrong on this.
    3. A. Phil is right about 39% of the time according to the LiveScience site and the Parade magazine article "8 Crazy Facts about Groundhog Day."
    4. The Groundhog Day celebration is rooted in a German superstition that says if a hibernating animal casts a shadow on Feb. 2, the Christian holiday of Candlemas, winter will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says, spring will come early.

5. D. Yes Carol Channing was the first big star to do a half-time show at Super Bowl IV in 1970. They still included a marching band, Al Hirt, and Lionel Hampton with New Orleans jazz numbers.
    6. B. The first Super Bowl is the only one broadcast on two stations simultaneously. It also is the only Super Bowl to have been simulcast in the United States by two networks: NBC had the rights to nationally televise AFL games, while CBS held the rights to broadcast NFL games; both networks were allowed to televise the game. It is also the only Super Bowl that was not a sell-out.

Fours stars for all of you-feeling generous after the Super Bowl blowout!
    Thanks for playing all. Have a marvelous week!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good fun Cyn. I had no clue on any of it, but it was fun guessing.

See you next week. Nancy-

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun and stars. I saw the Parade article, couldn't miss the 39%.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Good questions, Cynthia. Thanks for the fun and the not-totally-deserved stars.

TM

Sponsored