Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning everyone! I am sorry to be so late today. Kelly (son John's sweetie) just returned from another Africa trip and came over early to bring Koda and tell me all about it. Amazing job she has! She met Mbeki (2nd President of South Africa), Buyoya (former pres of Burundi), and Abu Bakr of Nigeria. She said Mbeki is amazing- kind, gentle, and someone who absolutely exudes a strength and power that no one else at the meetings had. Fascinating.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with today's trivia other than to explain why I am late! :)

So, for today...

Walt Kelly may be a familiar name. H was a cartoonist and journalist. He started out with Walt Disney, but then moved to Dell Comics. He was a political cartoonist and wrote one of the most beloved strips of all time- at least for those of us of a certain age- ahem. That strip was Pogo. One of his most famous lines was, "We have met the enemy and he is us." Do you remember the subject/reference of that line?

Will be back with clues if you all don't get it right away.

Cynthia, who is quite irritated that she no longer lives in the northeast and has no snow in the yard today.

Comments (21)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Good morning to you, Cynthia. I remember reading Pogo in the Sunday comics, and I have heard the line you quoted, but I don't remember what was happening in the strip that provoked the line. I do know that the line was a riff on an almost identical historical line from a well-known general or admiral --- I can't remember which.

We have clear blue skies, sunshine, and lots of sparkly fresh snow here in northern Michigan. I may have to strap on snowshoes or skis and go out with my camera later.

TM

• auntyara
    11 years ago

well this is going to be tough. I actually have heard of pogo and that famous line. However that is the only thing I know. I'm pretty sure he was a penguin right?
    We got about 10" of snow lst night. Beautiful mess outside and wind chills in the single digits. I'm not going out there for nothing lol.
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Oh Cyn - one of my favourite cartoons - I still mourn it's loss!! I do remember that cartoon, very vividly, and very sadly.
    And you can come shovel my snow, if you like. ;))

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pogo was a "possum" actually. He and the other characters lived in the Okefenokee Swamp. I am glad this isn't too easy! Considering your weather, I can see why you are thinking penguins, Laura! Not much 'green' going on in a lot of places right now. :)

Kelly used this line a little more than three years before his death which was in October of 1973. He didn't actually use it in the comic strip first, although it did appear there the next year.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Nothing is coming to mind so it looks like I need clues, once again sigh!!!! We're having 2 yards of driveway chip delivered this morning so it looks like we'll be shovelling... and wheeling... and raking..., then some more...shovelling... and wheeling... and raking... for the next couple of days. Be back later for clues that is if I make it past the couch LOL.

Annette

• auntyara
    11 years ago

not a penguin? RATS.
    I had the answer too.
    If pogo was a penguin, and he was his own enemy, it would be because of his bad breath. Penguins eat fish. Or his dry cleaning bill because they wear tuxedos.
    On a plus side i figured out how I know that quote. It was on Jeopardy last week.
    Possum hu? we got a lot of them around here. Ugly little critters,

Here is a link that might be useful: this just popped in my head lol

This post was edited by auntyara on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 13:08

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Laura - I think you were thinking of Opie, from Bloom county.

You know, sad to say, we were so hopeful in the 70's that we could change the world, and we are still messed up!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, but some things changd a little. 1970 saw a huge gathering that led to an awareness tat had a huge impact here in the US where laws changed and the government expanded in a good way...to my mind anyway...and provided Chuck with a long, albeit often frustrating, employment. No more rivers catching on fire! Sady, we need a revitalization in the public consciousness since we seem to be drifting back to a more uncaring and lackadaisical approach.

Despite the fact that I want snow (Nancy, my approach is to just wait for it to melt rather than shovel-ha), I am ready for April! I may start my clean-up sooner, though.

So many posters seem to feel the same these days!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Hmmm... Early 70's, I remember there was an energy crises. Were we still in Vietnam?, I hate to sound stupid. I definitely need more clues. My mind is melting :(

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Vietnam War, or conflict - is it finally a war?? went half way into the 70's.

Well, my snow is shovelled - bit at the street end of my walk was hip-deep - Knee deep in the muddy water?? lol. Got a few groceries and some more boxes to pack up. Stores recycle them so fast these days they are a premium!! Also forgot to take my re-usable bag into the grocery store - well, actually, the wine bottles for the recycle were in the bags, so I had to juggle my food out to the car. I am too cheap to pay a nickel a bag!!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Aha! I think I'm getting close. Your last clue got me remembering a 4th grade project my teacher made us all do. I had to write a letter to a local scrap metal place. I can't remember the letter much, by I do remember they did not reply. Jerks.
    My friend wrote a letter to a large dairy company and received a very nice packet filled with info to share with the class on how they run their business.
    hmmmm. wheels are spinning, hopefully in the right direction.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Just in from shovelling, I remember the cartoon now but that's as far as I've got, I don't remember the quote :(.

We are our own worst enemies??? we make messes but don't clean them up??? Has recycling have anything to do with it??? Can you tell I'm clutching at straws LOL. Back to shovelling.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This has me thinking back to my bedroom in high school. I thought it was so cool-walls covered with posters. Not sure my parents agreed, but I never did grow out of my activist period. :) I graduated in 1970 and attended an event in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia that April. It was my sister's birthday. Mine was five days later. would love to have shared my birthday!

I have tried to insert a photo of Pogo for you all, but (being an idiot unlike Nancy who is so good at that) will include one once you figure out the event (I suspect you do have it now) and the purpose for Walt Kelly's drawing with the quotation cited above.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I really think I got this. I'm serious this time.
    Did you ever see the movie idiocracy? (sp) it stars Luke Owen and Mya Rudolph.
    Pretty silly stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: trailer doesn't show the answer, the movie does

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Was that a cry for help, Cyn? I am at the ready - let's hope this image is clear!!

Laura, that last link was funny - I never saw any ads for that movie!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

cute but doesn't ring any bells.
    I'm putting my answer in the link box.
    you can stop it after a minute into it unless you want to hear #$@%& a lot.
    I don't want to post it right out and ruin anyone's fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: my answer :)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I remember this poster as I was a first year teacher in 1969-70 school year and this was a big event in our school district. DH occasionally tells the story of his high school class and how at the end of their outdoor activity they were treated to ice cream bars. After the kids dispersed he looked around to see ice cream bar wrappers all over the ground. How true the message was/is.

I was not familiar with the Pogo strip as a kid as our paper did not carry it.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Checking back in with nothing to report trivia-wise. I did have some outdoor fun in the snow this afternoon and got a little work done on my winter project (building a guitar), but that doesn't advance our cause down the trivia road at all. Luckily, it looks like some of you are already edging into the winner's circle.

Me? I have nothing much, though I'm thinking Earth Day may have something to do with this. I remember the first Earth Day, we had a school assembly and I got some kids together on stage and we sang the song Air from the musical Hair. Ah, protest songs, weren't they fun?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I waited. Time's up.

The line "We have met the enemy and he is us." was first used by Walt Kelly for a 1970 Earth Day poster depicting Pogo looking over his shoulder at the reader as he stands in front of the Okefenokee Swamp which is filled with trash. On Earth Day in 1971, he used the line again in a two-frame strip that featured Pogo Possum and Albert Alligator. My trusty assistant ;) Nancy has kindly offered to post the picture for me. It is also down in the link. The second version is at the top of the link. I enjoyed reading about Kelly's time and relationship with Walt Disney.

So, **** for Nancy and Bobbie who both knew the answer was the Earth Day poster.

** for Annette, Laura, and TM who all knew it had to do with Earth Day and/or enviromental awareness.

Have a lovely Sunday. Off to see Nancy's question today. Thanks for playing, all!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Pogo

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Here is the strip I remember - I may not deserve all of those stars!
    I tried doing the browse link, but the pic was too fuzzy.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pogo on Wiki

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. The outdoor activity those kids did that first Earth Day was picking up litter.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery