Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, good Sunday morning Cottagers. Cold and sunny here, spring has definitely gone away!! At least for now. We got about 4 inches of snow Friday night, then some rain, and then it froze. My kindly neighbour shoveled my walkway, but more snow came, and now it is a mess. I must make some cookies to thank her!

OK, on to trivia: Doozy - sounds like it would be a good question, doesn't it?? It's one of those that have tantalized me. The answer can't be definitively said, though, and that's not fair to you guys, is it?? No. It is commonly attributed to Duesenberg cars, which were the best of the best, cause they were affectionately know as 'Duesy's'. Doozy may be another spelling. Maybe.

The great word I found last week hasn't presented with any great clues, for it may need to marinate in my brain for a while, like today's question.

Robert Johnson

Jim Morrison

Janis Joplin

Rudy Lewis

Brian Jones

Just a few members of a very exclusive club. What is this club called? Back with more later, but in the meantime I thought you might like to hear Amy Winehouse. She was called an incredible talent. I'll leave you to judge, and will come back with more music as the day transpires!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Will you still love me tomorrow

Comments (12)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh heavens! Big fan of Joplin and Morrison and familiar with Robert Johnson. Brian Jones is familiar, but can't quite place him and know nothing of Rudy Lewis. Will look for more clues later. Guessing Amy is a clue? Hmmm...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I just might know this one, later.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't know every one of these folks, but the ones I do know belong to a club I don't want to be a member of. :)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Is Jimi Hendrix also a member of this club? Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison all had one thing in common about their deaths, but I am not sure if the others did.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jimi is indeed a member!! Sorry, I was kidnapped by gypsies and taken shopping!! What fun. Biran Jones was a founding member of the Rolling Stones. Other members are Kurt Cobain and 'Blind Owl' Wilson of Canned Heat and Ron "Pigpen" McKernan of the Grateful Dead. How are the little grey cells doing??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ah, I knew I recognized the name. Unfortunately, at my age, the memory isn't what it once was-which is probably why I can't remember the particular I think you are looking for here!

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I couldn't remember, but Chuck says they were all 27 when they died (at least Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison), so we say they are members of Club 27.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Again I'm with you Cyn :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, there you go - I think TM had the answer too?? Sorry I wasn't around as much as I intended, to add music, but it was so much fun. A friend picked me up to help me do a simple errand, and we ended up going to a local shoppong mecca - not a mall, more unique, antique and Amish furniture. Really fun, and I haven't done that in ages.

So the 27 Club it is. A sad little group. Incredibly talented group of individuals, all flamed out too quickly. The 27 Club - also occasionally known as the Forever 27 Club, Club 27 or the Curse of 27 - is a meme regarding popular musicians who all died at the age of 27 often as a result of "precipitous lifestyles that made them candidates for early self-destruction." Cobain and Hendrix biographer Charles R. Cross writes "The number of musicians who died at 27 is truly remarkable by any standard. [Although] humans die regularly at all ages, there is a statistical spike for musicians who die at 27."However, a study published in the British Medical Journal in December 2011 concluded that the occurrence of famous musicians dying at the age of 27 was coincidental, and the risk of death from their lifestyle was increased, but not limited to the age of 27. It was not until the death of Kurt Cobain, about two and a half decades after the death of Jim Morrison occurred, that the first idea of a "27 Club" was spread in the public perception. Towards a reporter from the Aberdeen newspaper The Daily World Cobain's mother said the following: "Now he's gone and joined that stupid club. I told him not to join that stupid club."
    So much incredible talent seemingly wasted, but then you have to wonder if they had done everything they needed to do in this life. Or in the words of the immortal Neil Young, it' better to burnout, than it is to rust!!

Thanks to all for playing - for Annette and Cyn - TM, I'm assuming you got it early, so:

Sorry you didn't get all the promised music: here is my favourite Joplin song, in closing.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Half Moon

• thinman
    12 years ago

An over-developed sense of honesty forces me to say that the only thing I knew was that some of them died early. I didn't know them all and I didn't know about the 27. I'll give back three stars. That seems about right.

Thanks, Cynthia and Nancy, for another weekend of head-scratching fun.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

TM's comment applies to me, too. I knew the ones I mentioned were all the same age, but I couldn't remember that age! Chuck actually knew it. May I keep three stars also?? ;)

Thanks for the fun and bringing up so many wonderful musical memories. Maybe I should make a 27 Club playlist for my iPod. That could be fun.

Glad you such a good time shopping Nancy. Unexpected amusements are often the most enjoyable!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It would be cool play list - so many of the songs bring back memories of a young (and foolish) me. What fun I had. Half Moon reminds of a camping trip when I was about 19 - can't remember which bf I had at the time, but I sure remember the campsite! Right on Lake Erie, off season.

Nancy.

Sponsored