Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Pics of my new kitchen

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

I posted this on the Kitchen forum, but wanted to pop in here with them too. Hope that's ok. It turned out nice, I will be painting the walls a creamy white/almost yellow and and the ceiling a very light blue. The pantry is my favorite (with washer/dryer), almost don't want to paint those walls!

Tomorrow I'll start sanding the filled nail holes and rough spots on the beadboard, hopefully Tuesday will go buy primer and paint. Wish me luck!

{{gwi:597853}}

{{gwi:597855}}

{{gwi:597857}}

{{gwi:597860}}

Comments (23)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

OH WOW!!! I just love it, definitely my cup of tea :). Please post pics when you've painted.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I didn't catch John the contractor in time, he had the shelf back up before I thought about it, as I wanted to paint the wall first. He is tall, and at first I thought he hung it too high - but now I rather like it. I bought that shelf years and years ago for 25 cents at a yard sale and it had been in the garage among the other junk up until last year when I attempted to hang it myself. It was already a great old depression era green color, I re-painted it as close to that color as possible.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoohouse- I saw your post on the kitchen forum and wondered what colors you were going to paint the beadboard. Your choices are wonderful!

I noticed your shelf in the other pictures, but had no idea it was such a great find! I agree with Annette...this style is my cup of tea, too :)

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Love it, love it love it!
    I would love to be able to do my ceilings with beadboard.
    I had beadboard cabinets at my previous home.
    My bedroom and bath are pale cream with white trim

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I found some nail holes that the guys missed filling, so had to go get some wood filler, plus the nail punch was for setting some of the nails further into the wood. They were in a hurry I guess and missed a bit.

plantmaven, I'm painting the walls and trim, baseboard and crown molding all the same color. I thought it I used a different color on the trim it wouldn't look quite right, maybe too busy. Trying to find a cream color that isn't white and isn't yellow is tricky. Right now I have these little squares of different colored paint chips stuck all over the walls.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see it painted! Looks great already!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I'm still sitting at this computer when I swore I'd be sanding filled nail holes on the ceiling today! I just can't get into it, finding every excuse to sit. I guess I think the kitchen will magically paint itself. Ugh.

Now I want a cup of coffee...another stall. ha. Somebody give me a pep talk quick. I want the rooms done and all the furniture moved back in before Spring at least! could have been by now if I'd moved my butt.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse - I loved that you have beadboard walls!! I painted most of my first house in a sort of clotted cream colour - it was great, I thought. I'd love to see it when it's painted, and think of all the gardening you can do instead of painting in a month ;-))

Nancy. - enough of a pep-talk?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy, pretty cute - yes thanks for the pep talk. In fact, so far I have all the sanding I'm going to do finished on the walls and yesterday I finished the kitchen ceiling. Tomorrow I'll sand the pantry ceiling and then get down to serious paint decisions. Have to apply primer first of course.

I'm a little concerned about all the knot holes I had to fill, and plenty of irregularities in the wood, hoping the wood filler works and the paint will hide alot of it. But then I got to thinking. If I walked into an old house and saw this great old beadboard on the walls, with it's blemishes and dents here and there from years of the life of the house, I'd say "Ooo this looks great, almost shabby chic and with a "lived in" look". There's no way I'd tear it off and put brand new on. I'd love the character. :)

I have half a notion to go buy a 1/2 pt of cream (called heavy whipping cream here) and compare the color of it to what I have in mind. I can always use it to make scones later.

Afraid this remodel whittled away any budget I had for the garden this year, that and the big birdhouse. My plan is to buy lots of flower seeds and sow them about for color and texture. But you are right, better to be working inside now instead of yearning to be outside when the sun is shining. And I can hardly wait for some sun, let me tell you.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Amen!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, are you keeping your amazing stove? I hope so! What kind is it? I think it looks perfect with your beautiful new kitchen and I also really like that style of light. I am looking forward to seeing it painted!
    What did you choose for cabinets and for counters?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the stove stays. It is a Magic Chef gas stove, was here when I bought the house. If I would have to guess, I'd say it was from the 1950's or older. Has seen lots of use over the years. The light, I bought long ago too (have always purchased things over the years for that "someday" remodel), it's new not vintage. I also have a mini schoolhouse pendant for the pantry and the hallway.

As far as cabinets, I want something very simple that could match my hoosier cupboard, with wooden counter tops. There's not much room, only 46" by 75" in an L-shape; but boy are custom cabinets pricey! I told the guys I'll have to wait a few months or this summer so I can save up before I can have them made and installed. For now, I'm looking for an old dry sink I can use to put the microwave on and have storage underneath for bulky items like the toaster oven and then a nice long drawer for kitchen towels, ect. Not picky about what condition it's in because I'll paint it. It used to be these things were everywhere in antique and thrift shops, but now days they're hard to find - even the shabby ones.

I'm going to go buy primer today and at least try to get that on this week. I was reading up on how to paint beadboard, and apparently it isn't as easy as you think. Had already decided to use a roller, but articles I read advised to use a paint brush to get into the grooves, as a roller won't; thus you brush, then roll, 2' or 4' sections at a time. After the primer is on, I'm sure I'll see more areas that need sanded. I'll be using shellac based primer to cover knot holes and prevent possible bleed, so I'm not looking forward to the cleanup. Water based is SO much easier.

I have a suspicion that after the kitchen and pantry are all painted up pretty, my cupboards and tables will look sad, so those will need to be repainted also!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Your kitchen is going to look beautiful! Painting is a great way to freshen everything up and get ready for a lovely summer. Picture, coming in from the garden and making a cup of tea, then going back out to sit down, in one of your many seating areas...and enjoying your wonderful garden.

Won't you be glad you got all that painting done in the early spring...and that it looks fabulous! LOL

One word of caution...be careful with the primer. You may want to wait until you can open the windows to paint. The fumes can be pretty intense. Have fun and keep thinking how great it's going to look, when you're finished! :)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

My neighbors hated their kitchen, so they took it out and only replaced the bottom doors, the top is all open shelving. It was inexpensive, is that an option for you, Schoolhouse? Myself, I have so much stuff I need doors. I love my cupboard interiors when I open them up, but I need to have things behind closed doors.

Your stove looks like it's from between 1956-1958 (I learned a lot about stoves when I bought mine). Both my fridge and stove are '56. Yours is fantastic with two ovens and two drawers! I'm so glad you are keeping it, it's beautiful!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,ggg8. Thanks for the info. Only one oven in my stove. The door on the left is a "warmer" of some sort, just an empty space. The drawer below the oven is a broiler, and the other drawer below the "warmer" is just another drawer. Possibly for storage or another place to keep food warm, I should do some research. I never use them except for storing skillets sometimes.

I really like the look of open shelving, but in my house items sitting there would be continually covered in dust no matter how often I clean. Shelves can be wiped down periodically, but having to swipe each dish over and over would be a chore. I'd rather be outside in the garden! :)

Lass, I bought the primer Tuesday. This morning, as soon as I pry myself away from GW, I'll finish a little bit of sanding of the pantry ceiling, sweep the floors real good, and wipe everything down with a tack cloth to remove as much dust from the paneling as possible, and get down to business. There is a window in the pantry I can open for fresh air, good idea.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse - I did open shelves in part of a kitchen once. I only put large, decorative looking pieces on them (I have large, vintage jars I use for flour, etc.). I quite like the look. I had them in my last laundry room, and put vintage cleaners, washboards, etc. on the top shelf and useful things like soap, softeners on the bottom shelf. I must say that I am hooked on the look. Ikea has some nice floating shelves. I don't know if you have Debbie Travis products in the US - here they are sold at Cdn. Tire. I liked her floating shelves even better, as they had a small lip.

Nancy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree about the look, I really like it; but I would drive myself crazy trying to keep them dusted. I have a cupboard in the pantry with items ontop and I'm so glad they are high enough that most people can not notice the layer of fuzzies! Housework goes practically out the window during gardening season. ha.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- I'm not a big fan of open shelves either, mostly because of my kitties, but also dust. I do like plate racks, mug hooks, and glass upper cabinets.

That being said, I still really like this kitchen, by Sarah Richardson. It's from her Design Inc. series, Sean's Yurt. It was on HGTV yesterday, and I'm sure you can watch it on video. They did a wonderful job decorating everything in a cozy, vintage cottage look. I really like it :)

Here's a link to the episode site...a picture of the kitchen is in the middle. It doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea...and check out the stove and fridge, on the video!

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Inc.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Yes, well I understand about the open shelves. I live in the House of Dust and Cat Hair so nothing stays clean or dust free here unless there is a door on it (Ikea now has glass doors for bookshelves which has been my savior as I'm a knicknack-a-holic...)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Here are a few pictures of the kitchen. I think the butcher block countertops really work with the space :)

{{gwi:597862}}

{{gwi:597864}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I like that kitchen! and the butcher block looks good there. In my kitchen however, I have in my mind a darker wood, not butcher block, and with a worn patina. Or what the counters of old, small town hardware stores or drug stores look like. Even if I could find the top of an old table and have it cut into counter tops, that would be the look I want.

Unless the butcher block was very used looking and darkened by age, it wouldn't go with my kitchen. I'm funny, I like things to look as if they have been there for years and years. Not necessarily trashed, but...used. Does that make sense?

Speaking of my stove, I must tell you what happened today. For the past couple days, I've been painting the ceiling and walls of the pantry with primer as you know. I started to smell a very strong "fuel" smell whenever I turned on the stove burner to make coffee. Finally I decided this morning to call the gas company to come check it out - just in case.

Well, the guy says that the smell is normal; the shellac fumes are being "cooked" by the flame of the stove burner and thus the weird smell. He says it's nothing to worry about, they answer these calls from people remodeling all the time. It's harmless. Then, he looks behind the stove,which is pulled from the wall, points at the gas hose and fittings and says, "But that must be changed!". The gas company no longer approves of brass fittings or hose connected to stoves. Even tho it's been working perfectly for 55yrs. Ugh. So, he turns off the valve in the basement that feeds my stove and says I must make the repairs before I turn it back on.

So before he leaves, he goes back to the basement, comes back up and says, "More bad news - follow me". Takes me down there and shows me that the vent pipe from the furnace to the chimney or the chimney itself must be clogged because the furnace is not being vented properly. The big aluminum vent pipe coming out of the furnace is corroded and dripping with condensation(!). He said it there could be a carbon monoxide problem if I didn't get that fixed. So he shuts down my furnace.

After he does some work on the outside gas meter, he leaves and I get on the phone to my contractor, all around fix-it guy all excited that the gas company shut me down! ha. Within the hour he had sent one of his workers that happened to be in the area to my house and the stove fittings were replaced, the clogged vent pipe cleaned out and replaced and all was well again. Old houses! I swear, start one project, end up having to do a dozen others. But I am thankful that it was all brought to my attention, I would never have know about the vent pipe that's for sure.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, I would have been freaking out about the stove and furnace. I'm glad it got taken care of so quickly. My hubby is no fix it guy. He does not care one whit about the house or anything and refuses to do much except clean out the drains and fix washer/dryer. I also have a fantastic contractor and my friends hubby is now a handyman. I'm so thankful for that. I can do many things, but the are all minor and more "patch" jobs than real jobs.
    I was concerned about corrosion on our furnace pipe too, and venting of the old hot water heater. The HVAC guys said it was fine...until I decided I should have the chimney lined. The chimney guy was amazing and said we should be dead, but thankfully our foundation was so full of holes that we did not die of carbon monoxide poisoning! I dumped that HVAC guy, a GW friend sent her guy over and he fixed everything up so quickly and it was done right. Thankfully when we went through the renovation the contractor got us in with his amazing HVAC guy who is worried about everything! He checks my stove, the vent hood, HVAC, dryer venting and anything else every time he comes and does not charge an extra cent for it.
    There are still some really great people in this world.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The furnace repairman had to leave for another job and didn't have time to write up my bill, he said he'd drop it off later or mail it. Ugh. Hate to see what it is,comes at a time when I'm putting money into the kitchen; but at the same time glad it's over and taken care of.

To top things off, I've had a stomach virus for the past two days; so no work is being done. Today I feel somewhat better but am taking it easy, just put the kettle on for some tea and will have some toast. Hopefully, this coming week I can make more progress with the painting. My goal to have it completed is March 21st. - first day of Spring.

Sponsored
Cadence Architecture
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Chesterfield County's Innovative & Collaborative Architecture Studio