Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning, friends.

Today is grey and damp. I suspect we will have rain again as the stormy weather is moving from the midwest to us us on the East Coast. I am hoping the violent twisters do not accompany the rain. Those pictures are heartbreaking, but we are usually pretty lucky around here.

Anyway, I am shocked that I am already up with tea made. Last week, we watched the monster grandpup for several evenings since John was working late and Kelly was at a Red Cross conference in Las Vegas. Seriously, do you find that as strange as I do? Just can't picture the Red Cross holding meetings there. So, I was up with the dogs until midnight Wednesday and Thursday. I really expected to sleep in a little. Clouseau, however, decided to alert us to something around 6:50-probably a car using our drive to turn around in or a neighbor walking. We do need to be made aware of these threats to our security, you know. ;)

Okay, here is today's question. The French mathematician Blasie Pascal invented/discovered/created/whatever a game as he was investigating/experimenting with perpetual motion. It is still a popular game today. What is it?

Cynthia, who needs a nap, but will settle for more hot tea

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I'm up early too, Percy woke me up purring in my ear that she wanted her breakfast, now she's fast asleep and I'm wide awake. It's 5:45 here, I wonder if TCM has an old movie on.

I'm drawing a blank, if you've given us a clue I need more :(.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good morning back at you, Cynthia. DW and I are in the Orlando Florida area this morning with DD2 and family. We had a Disney day yesterday and it was lots of fun watching the grandkids' reactions to everything. Temps are in the eighties and it's sunny here, but there's a winter storm at home - the second one in a week. The first one canceled our afternoon flight out and then our re-booked flight the next morning. We ended up doing a 5 hour night-time drive to Detroit to catch our flight to Orlando. We're here now, though,and things are good.

Today DW and I are going to drive our rented wheels up to Leu Gardens in Winter Park and have a quiet time walking around there. And for once, I do know the answer to today's trivia question. :)

ThinMan

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, now I feel better about my wake-up call. 5:45-yuck.

TM, lucky you! Enjoy your time in Florida. It is a great tradition you have going. Just sorry to hear it took you so much time to get there!

I was afraid I had sneaked in too many clues, Annette. I thought TM might know it, but took a chance anyway. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ahh, come one TM - a clue for a pal?? lol. I was up early, but not on here!! Wind is crazy - for us - and woke me up with vines whacking my windows. Then I laid there for a while, listening to Gr-Grandma's clock striking the hour and half hour. I wish it was a perpetual motion machine - I need to take it apart again and lubricate, cause it can't make 8 days on a wind anymore. Sigh.

Nancy.

12 years ago

Methinks Los Vegas might be a clue, when I went back and reread I picked out the word lucky, putting those together with game could it be a game played in Los Vegas, but which one, so many to choose from Uurghhhhh!!!

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Nancy and Annette - I did a leave a little hint in my last paragraph. The answer has to do with nice round numbers, in a way.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM's clue is great. Just combine it with the oh-so-many clues in my original post and you will definitely get it.

Off to pay bills and hoping I wind up in the black. It is always depressing to find myself in the red so early in the month. :(

So many clues, so little time...

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Thought I'd better get around to posting before it is too late as happened last week.

Like TM my math background has given me an advantage and I know this one.

We had 6 inches of heavy snow on Wednesday, the one day all winter that I had an important appointment. What were the chances that I would miss it? Over 300 cars off the road and many more car accidents on the icy, snowy roads. One accident in a lifetime was enough for me so I rescheduled and have to wait another month.

Our white pine has several broken branches, not a pretty sight, and we will have to have our tree trimmers here again. This past fall they did major trimming and we all thought that they won't have to come for two years. So it goes.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ahhhh - I get it - a clock-like game. I was thinking a perpetual clock. Place your bets, everybody!! Annette, Pat & Vanna would get this one!!

Nancy. - who really is bummed out about taking a 122-year-old clock apart again!! I am told by reliable antique sources that common gasoline is the best lubricant for old clock works. It apparently has a modicum of oil in it, and dries with no residues, unlike WD-40. Yikes, I am not looking forward to this!!

12 years ago

The fog is lifting :) I think I have it now, an "R" comes to mind.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:598629}}From Drop Box

Four stars for TM, Bobbie, Annette, and Nancy. It is indeed Roulette! I was afraid I gave too many clues. Some were actually inadvertent, but fit into the puzzle perfectly!

Have a wonderful Sunday. Cold and sunny here. Chuck is going to help John with some painting at his new house-they settled on Friday and he and Kelly are so excited. Today, they are painting the front door red. I will be working on an Educational Report for a kiddo I tested as part of special ed eligibility. All that work and she is moving this coming week! We still have to finish the process. Oh well.

Cynthia, who accidentally supersized the stars today, but decided you all deserved that (besides, it is too much trouble to redo-ha)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths