Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trvia: Saturday

Good morning wonderful cottagers! I am heating water for that first cuppa and enjoying looking out to trees that have green on their branches. Looks to be a beautiful day. If it warms up, I will be digging outside later. Happy, happy. (No clues here-just red herrings, I realized, as I reread it).

I am also starting spring break. Many of the teachers on my team are jetting off to England, San Francisco, New York, Mexico, Peru...very exciting. So, that got me to thinking about places tourists visit and leads to today's questions-yes, there are two today because I am afraid the first is just too easy.

1. Can you identify the most visited country in the world?

2. Can you identify the tourist attraction that receives the most visitors each year?

My statistics are from Travel and Leisure magazine and this is how they defined an attraction: "tourist attractions" [are] cultural and historical sites, natural landmarks, and officially designated spaces. So Boston's shop-filled Faneuil Hall Marketplace (est. 1742) made the cut, but not Minnesota's Mall of America with 40 million annual visitors it would otherwise have been number one. Short walkways and waterfront promenades also fit our definition of tourist attractions; that disqualified the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also excluded sights that draw almost exclusively religious pilgrims.

If you guess Everland or Lotte World in South Korea, you'll be wrong even though they did make the cut of the Top 50 Most-Visited Tourist Attractions. :)

The answer to #2 is not in the same country as #1.

Times a-wasting. I'll be back with more clues later.

A bientot mes amis.

Cynthia

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Wow the last day of march, where has the month gone. I hope we're in for some decent weather soon, we're still getting a lot of rain so it's hard to get anything done outside.
    On a brighter note Calamity and I are off to a heather sale this morning. I don't have many spots where heather does well in my garden but I need to replace one or two that are over the hill.

As to today's questions I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the first one :) but will have to think about the other one, sooooo many choices.

revenir plus tard,
    Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good questions. I've been out running errands this morning but now I can marshal all of my mental resources and figure this right out. Now, where did I leave those resources?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quiet here today. Hope that means people are out enjoying good weather.

TM, you can always be counted on to put smiles on our faces (mental resources...).

So, first day of vacation and I've eaten nothing bu junk. late for lunch, but maybe a healthy snack-if not a complete square meal-is in order.

Follow the lights...and honking horns?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I think I know the country which is also on my list to visit. Especially that very romantic city.

Lights and horns, sounds like a place with lots of traffic, probably a place in a large city.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, home from work - week is done!! Yea. I am being offered a chance at a job to work from home.....waiting to hear more. This might be good!!

I think that I am close to the country. As to the attraction: pretty sure what it is, and that I went to the first or second platform about a month after 9/11!!! First time I ever had my purse actually searched, other than at customs.....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bonsoir, Nancy. No platforms on the attraction, but if you are thinking what I am thinking you are thinking-:)-you were in the right country for #1.

Busy, busy today. Now off to watch the end of the Louisville/Kentucky game on the big screen. So many distractions everywhere I look. At least it isn't wall-wall people as at New Years Eve.

Cynthia

Oh, and very cool about the possible job. Working from home would be heaven!

• thinman
    12 years ago

My first thoughts were 1) U.S. and 2) the Eiffel Tower, though I couldn't imagine the Eiffel Tower handling anywhere near the number of people at Disney World - 30,000 a day and more, I think.

After hints, my two guesses:

1) France
    2) Times Square

TM

12 years ago

The fog is clearing from my crystal ball but so far all I can see is Dick Clark :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I was thinking Central Park in New York but lights and horns lead to me Times Square instead. Ha, ha and Dick Clark.

When I visit France I hope to sit on those special steps and be picked up by a car and whisked away to a midnight adventure.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, may have read the question incorrectly - #2 is in #1??

Nancy - who posted early for a change!!

12 years ago

I'm with TM

1. France
    2. Times Square

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for both #1 and # 2 to Annette, TM, and Bobbie.

Yes, Times Square, with more than 39,000,000 visitors each year, is the most visited tourist attraction in the world, but France is the most visited country, which I completely understand! The US comes in second with China third.

Nancy, no sorry. In the first post, I did say that #2 was not in the same country as #1.

Bobbie, Central Park came in second! 38,000,000 visitors. I will be looking for those steps, too, if we actually make it to France this summer.

Enjoy your Sunday, all. Heading over to see today's question from Nancy!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: where to go, where to go...?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH