Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Tonight is the night the stars come out in Hollywood. Yes, intrepid movie fans, it is Oscars night. So, here are a few questions to test your knowledge of truly unimportant, inconsequential facts.

1. Who was the first actor to turn down a Best Actor award?

2. What was the first sequel to be nominated for Best Picture?

3. What was the first sequel to win for Best Picture?

4. What was the first movie quote to go viral and take on a life of its own?

5. Adjusted for inflation, what is the highest grossing film ever?

6. What actor and actress hold the record for most wins in a leading role?

7. What famed writer and his wife wrote the documentary "Design for Death" which won an Oscar in 1948?

8. What was unique about Hal Mohr's win for best cinematography at the 1936 awards?

There are more, but I don't want to overwhelm you! ;)

Now, off to the bird seed store and then Home Depot for some Command hooks for the classroom. Will return with clues in between writing my IEP for tomorrow morning (which our weather forecasters predict will be another day off for us, but need to be ready just in case).

Cynthia

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Lordy, lordy, lordy, I only have a guess for #4 and I know of one actor that turned down an oscar but I don't think he's the one you are looking for, that's about it. I'll check back later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Bless your heart Cynthia - I know you are busy!!

I think I know a couple of these - 1, 4, & 7 - maybe we can share hints today to give you a bit of a break - that is of course, if I know any for sure!! ;-)

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I think I know 1, 5, and part of 6, & maybe 8.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By george! You are all the best!

I decided to come here today with bells on since tomorrow will probably be a snow day.

That means no kids wanting to play Mario brothers on the computer.

To be honest, I don't care all that much.

There is a big to-do about teacher salaries in Fairfax County. Seems there is just no money and hasn't been for years. Wonder where it all goes...blown away, I suppose.

Clouseau is my winter lion-he loves this weather. Annabel, not so much, especially with her injured left foot/leg.

Maybe I will cook a big snow day breakfast-eggs and ham?

Time to start writing in my new IEP goals.

Be back later. Here is my darling lion on the deck this winter.

10 years ago

Oh My, he is just gorgeous. He can come live with me anytime.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annette. He is the best dog ever. Tons of personality, smart (part border collie), goofy, happy, sweet.. Just perfect. He needs to live forever.

Cynthia

10 years ago

#4 Well there's...
    Make My day and I'll Be Back but the one I'm going with is
    Frankly My Dear I don't Give A Damn.

#6 Just a guess...
    Katharine Hepburn

That's all I can come up with :(.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

1. George C. Scott
    3. The Godfather, Part 2
    4. frankly, my dear....
    5. Gone With the Wind
    6. I first thought Meryl Streep because she has been nominated so often, then remembered it was Katherine Hepburn
    8. Can't remember what I was thinking for this one

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would it help if I number my clues since I didn't in my previous post?

1. Great Scott, Annette! Don't give up yet! (combine with the other clue above and you will get it)

2. Der Bingle Was going my way first, but the bells, the bells called him away

3. I will give even better clues if you make me an offer I can't refuse

4. Listen to Annette.

5. Well, if you have 4, you should have this one!

6. Did you pick up on my clues above? When I have the crazy dog here with my lion in winter, I feel as though we are Bringing Up Baby. Hold on a sec, have to shift my weight. My Left Foot is asleep.

7. Nancy, do you ever dress your cats- maybe put a top hat on one?

8. I wonder how it feels to not be on a ballot, but win just the same thanks to the efforts of voters.

Trying to stay awake to watch some of the awards, but I am not going to last, I fear.

Cynthia

10 years ago

1. Geo. C. Scott
    2. The Bells of St. Mary
    3. Godfather Part 2
    4. Frankly Dear I Don't Give A Damn
    5. Gone With The Wind
    6. Katherine Hepburn
    7. ?
    8. ?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

1. George C Scott
    3. The Godfather, Part 2
    4. frankly, my dear....
    5. Gone with the Wind
    6. Daniel Day Lewis. And Katherine Hepburn
    7. Ted Geisle, Dr. Suess, & wife
    8. His win was the result of a write in vote

Got a couple more ideas from your clues,Cynthia.

Enjoyed watching the Oscars tonight. Thought a couple of the song performances were weak. Thought Ellen D. did a good job.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, despite the fact that there are only two stars here, I figure these two are worth double of any of today's stars...therefore, four stars. ;)

Bobbie got 7/8 and Annette got 6/8.

1. George C. Scott refused the award two years before Brando did. He won for "Patton", but said the show was a "two-hour meat parade."
    2. "The Bells of St. Mary's" was the first sequel nominated for best picture. It was the sequel to "Going My Way" which won the year before and featured Bing Crosby reprising his Oscar-winning role of Father Chuck O'Malley.
    3. "The Godfather Part 2" was the first sequel to win best picture.
    4. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" was the first movie line to take on a life of its own.
    5. Adjusted for inflation, "Gone with the Wind" is still the highest grossing movie ever (adjusted domestic gross of $1.7 billion, unadjusted $199 million).
    6. Katharine Hepburn won four (for âÂÂMorning Gloryâ in 1934, âÂÂGuess Who's Coming to Dinnerâ in 1968, âÂÂThe Lion in Winterâ in 1969 and âÂÂOn Golden Pondâ in 1982) and Daniel Day-Lewis won three (for âÂÂMy Left Footâ in 1990, âÂÂThere Will Be Bloodâ in 2008 and âÂÂLincolnâ in 2013).
    7. Dr. Seuss. Seriously. Theodor Seuss Geisel and Helen Palmer Geisel wrote this 1947 full-length version of a 1945-46 Army training film titled âÂÂOur Job in Japan.â While working as the commander of the animation department of the Army Air Forces' First Motion Picture Unit, Seuss received an evaluation calling him a âÂÂpersonable zealot.â Prints of âÂÂDesign for Deathâ are hard to find. It apparently argues for governmental control in the hands of many, rather than few.
    8. Mohr won for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" as the result of a write-in.

Thanks for playing. In reality, three stars for Bobbie and Annette, two for Nancy even though you didn't get back. Four stars for TM because he is smarter than all of us and is enjoying the sunshine and lack of snow! Looks like I may have another snow day tomorrow.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Love it Cyn - sorry I didn't get back to play - I had back to back calls all day. :(
    oh, well, most of my guesses would have been wrong, anyways. Enjoy your snow day!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Gone with the Wind was the first adult movie I saw. Went with my mother and sisters when my dad & brothers were hunting. I loved Rhett Butler and identified with the spunky Scarlet. Think I was a preteen or a very young teen and "frankly, my dear...." became a snarky response during later sibling verbal battles. Had no idea the movie was so long. The dairy cows were waiting at the barn door when we got home and chores were very late.

Patton was the last show at the last big screen theater in Mpls area before they closed and the theater was torn down. We attended the last night. You could say that George C. Scott made a big impression on me that night.

Thanks for the questions and memories they evoked.

I agree, TM was the smart one.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 1:10

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz