Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Good Sunday Morning! Clear and cold here today - the wind seems to have passed. There's just enough to give specks of snow a loop de loop on their way to the ground.

Well, I'm going to keep it simple today: What is the world's fastest animal? Clues may be necessary, so I will be back.

Nancy.

Comments (24)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Good morning all, I think, I said 'think' I know this one. I'll check back in later :).

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

You didn't say fastest on land, so a cheetah is probably not what you are looking for. I'm thinking maybe something in the air. Could it start with a "g"?

I'll be out of touch most of the day, so I'll have to check back later to see how guesses are going.

TM

12 years ago

TM's got s point, does this include land sea and air?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.

Dave Barry, 07/03/1947 -US columnist, humorist and Pulitzer Prize Laureate.

lol. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It includes all animals,yes. It can achieve speeds of over 320 km/h (200 mph). I need TM or Bobbie to figure out the fps rate. It lives on every continent but Antarctica, and the extreme polar regions of the Arctic. Sorry Annette, no G.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant, sorry TM, no G. It is hard to do this with a cat in the way - this week it's pretty Lily.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, obviously, the statin I take must be affecting my memory-why else would I think I posted earlier??? ;)

Anyway, I am also thinking it must be something that flies. Wondering about insects (is that the 'g' you meant TM?), but also wondering about birds. Some are so fast when they go after prey. The insect I am considering doesn't start with g, though, it is certainly a pest.

Will be looking for clues during my breaks in school work!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Though it is on the endangered species list, it is making a recovery since the ban on DDT. Most surprisingly it is flourishing in many cities, using high-rise buildings as cliffs, and feral pigeon populations as prey.

Hmmmm.......

• thinman
    12 years ago

I was thinking of a gyrfalcon. I thought I remembered that they can get up to 200 mph in a dive (called a stoop I think). But I think they live in arctic regions, so I guess they are not the answer to today's question.

TM

P.S 200 mph = 293 fps :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

HA! That was my first thought before I went off on the insect tangent. We have lots around here if I am right. I used to see one of a pair named George and Martha when I drove along the Potomac to my old school. That was a nice commute! Poor Martha was attacked by some younger hussy. She was fixed up and released, but then injured again and didn't survive. Oh, but maybe I am wrong since you said they are on every continent except Antarctica. Nevermind.

However, I do have another idea and think one in particular in NYC became rather famous.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

The last set of clues gives it to me, Nancy, as we have these in our city. I have followed the births via cameracom (not sure that's the word) for several years. Oh, it is hard to wait for this spring's viewing.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

200 miles X 5,280 ft/mile equals 1,056,000 ft
    1 hr equals 60 min. x 60 sec/min. equals 3600 seconds

1,056,000 ft divided by 3600 seconds equals 293.33333...ft/sec.

293.3333....ft/sec

12 years ago

Does it start with a "P" :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It does indeed start with a 'P'. TM, had to check your answer - no, but you're warm, maybe even hot?? Thanks for the math guys- so 3 times faster than Dave Barry's cow!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, darn. I was off. First I thought bald eagle, then red-tailed hawk (one of reading assessments has a story about Pale Male in NYC), but now the P has given it to me. Remember those sneakers when we were little? PF Flyers? Wonder if that is why they chose PF.

• thinman
    12 years ago

OK, my guess now is a p-------e falcon.

:)

TM

12 years ago

I'm with you TM :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Did any of you have one of these cars from the 60s?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:598834}}

Well, no fooling you guys!! Magnificent creatures and they are making a comeback in the wilds of our modern cities. The Peregrine Falcon is often stated to be the fastest animal on the planet in its hunting dive, the stoop,(I should give TM an extra star for knowing that word!!)which involves soaring to a great height and then diving steeply at speeds commonly said to be over 320 km/h (200 mph)- no one seems to agree on the speeds, and hitting one wing of its prey so as not to harm itself on impact. The air pressure from a 200 mph (320 km/h) dive could possibly damage a bird's lungs, but small bony tubercles on a falcon's nostrils guide the powerful airflow away from the nostrils, enabling the bird to breathe more easily while diving by reducing the change in air pressure. To protect their eyes, the falcons use their nictitating membranes (third eyelids) to spread tears and clear debris from their eyes while maintaining vision. A study testing the flight physics of an "ideal falcon" found a theoretical speed limit at 400 km/h (250 mph) for low altitude flight and 625 km/h (390 mph) for high altitude flight. In 2005, Ken Franklin recorded a falcon stooping at a top speed of 389 km/h (242 mph). I'm attaching a video of one of the dives in a link.

So, for everyone -

Thanks to everyone for playing this weekend!! Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skydiving with a Falcon

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

That is just so cool, Nancy! I love stuff like this and will use it with the kids one of these days. They love challenges! Also, I have an amazing piece of art from my grandparents. Very unusual-it is a metal plate with a woman dressed in Renaissance era garb that is done in enamel. Her face seems like a photographic image. I have no knowledge about it, but thought everyone might enjoy the subject matter today, although the falcon, unfortunately, is not the main focus.
    {{gwi:598837}}From Drop Box

Have a wonderful week. Thanks for the fun.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh and Bobbie, no I didn't have one, but my older cousin did. I always wanted a Mustang! :)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks again, Cynthia and Nancy, for supplying us with fun and games. Great questions, both.

Nope, Bobbie, no Falcon in my past. I was a Chevy guy back then and thought Ford was a four letter word.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Funny about guys and car brands!! My Dad always had Chevs and my Uncle Pontiacs - till he could afford a Buick.

Falconry was considered to be the sport of Kings, once upon a time. The birds were considered the royalty of the avian world. This lady would have been high-born, indeed. I learned a little(very little) about painting on tin - another old practice, though not as old as falconry. Often on tin they would fix a photograph, and then paint over it. When you look at the intricate detail on the dress fabric and the drapes, I wonder if this is the same thing. But then you said enamel, not paint...maybe I am way off here.

Some my friends in the southern US thought the Falcons were cool, and restored them. I grew up when the Nova and the Mustang were king. btw, I was told FORD stood for fix or repair daily!! lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

My favorite was always Found On Road Dead.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Love those Ford acronyms! My dad was always a Chevy guy, too.

Could be that there is paint over a photo on parts of the falconess picture such as the background, but the clothing is enamel, so someone was using lots of approaches on this one, I guess. Always fascinated me when I was a child.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia