Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Saturday

thinman
13 years ago

Happy weekend again, dear cottagers. I'm thinking spring here today - not seeing any - just thinking. My daughter in Seattle just posted about hearing a bird sing and seeing flowers blooming. One of these days...

On this day in 1963 the Hula-Hoop was patented, and became a huge fad, selling twenty-five million in the first four months. The company that made the Hula-Hoop also brought us the Superball, Water Wiggle, Silly String, Slip 'n' Slide and the Hacky Sack. Can you name the company?

ThinMan

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh brother. Had or tried at least four of these, but who paid attention back then to brand names? Nonetheless, I think I may know,at least one name sprang to mind immediately. No idea why, so maybe it is right.

I'll check back later. This is slated to be a busy weekend-four IEPs (special education Individual Ed. Program)to write and the cold I have beem fighting to avoid all week has finnally won the war-ugh. See you in a bit.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

There's still one of these propped up in our basement that belonged to our daughter, it has to be over 40 years old. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, trying to think about how to put this without coming right out and saying it, later......

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cynthia, sorry about your cold and your weekend work load. I don't think I knew that you were in special ed. What a lot of work for you.

Yes, Annette, it could be tricky coming up with a hint.

TM

13 years ago

TM, I thought of one phrase that might have let you know what I was thinking but thought better of it LOL. Remember the Batman series on TV and those words that appeared on the screen in fight scenes, one of them kinda fits.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Hee-hee - I was thinking of George Micheal's band. Am I on the right track?? Home today - no voice. Hard to talk to people....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I was on the wrong track, but think I have it thanks to the clues. You know how something can suddenly hit you _______ -like a ton of bricks? :)

Oh and thanks for the kind words TM. Love my job, but the paperwork has become pretty overwhelming now. Our parent liaison, who calls my Spanish-speaking parents, set up five meetings in three days next week(two at the same time-really?)I'm ready to retire. Bank says otherwise...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Okay, I am going to bed, so since Nancy and Annette both already have it, I will guess (taking my cue from them as usual, of course) Wham-o (or is it Whammo?). I did love my hula hoop. Should probably take it up again-good for the midriff!

Nancy, we could hear you just fine, but I hope you get your voice back soon! :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Oh Cyn - so glad you spelled it out!!! Spelling might count, you know!!! lol. I think it is Wham-O. I was completely retarded at it. Sorry, it that not PC?? I couldn't make it work, anyway.

Nancy.

13 years ago

Don't feel bad Nancy I couldn't work it either, I was either wiggling when I should have been wagging or wagging when I should have been wiggling LOL.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I am the proud owner of an original hoola hoop! I bet there are not many around today! What I long for again is a footsie, that was my favorite!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Last summer a friend brought her original Wham-O hula hoops to a picnic. I put one around my torso and gyrated but like days of yore it fell quickly to my feet. I was better with another Wham-O product, frisbee.

I don't remember the footsie toy. The only footsie I remember had nothing to do with toys, though it was amusing.

• frogview00
    13 years ago

I had a Wham-O Wing Ding.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not totally sure if all of you were actually guessing Wham-o or were just reminiscing. I'll do my best with the stars and you can holler "I knew that!" if I skip you.

for Annette, Nancy, and Cynthia. That's all I know for sure. GGG, Bobbie, and Jim?

Jim, what was a Wing Ding? I couldn't even Google one up.

Fun answers and comments, you guys.

TM

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

No stars for me, TM. By the time I logged on the answer was posted by Cyn.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES