Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all.

Finally, it seems as if today might be a decent day to get out in the yard. What a disappointment this spring break was, weather-wise. Always nice to be off, but the yard is such a mess...oh well. Today, the Boy Scouts are supposed to deliver double shredded hardwood mulch. I usually use the pine fines because it breaks down so quickly and I need that to help our dreadful clay soil. Still, want to support the kids, so...

Today's trivia has to do with inventions again. In 1927, John W. Hammes was an architect (not a clue) living in Racine, Wisconsin who invented something many in North America use today. His invention is not widely used elsewhere. In fact, it was banned in New York City until 1997!

Any ideas?

Cynthia

Comments (23)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Sorry you're at the end of your break, Cynthia. How fast they go.

This sounds like a great question. Time to start thinking.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, need clues on this one I'm afraid.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Gorgeous Sunny day here!! Did I mention their are tulips coming up in the front garden?? Yea!!

Cyn, I have not clue at all - need some!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Good morning all,
    The roof is coming along very nicely. My poor contractor told me my roof is the worse he's ever worked on. Turns out there was no plywood under the layers and layers of shingles. My DH says he should knock off a couple of bucks for the stories he'll be telling for yrs.

Hmmm I live in NY. I think I know what this is. ahahha I always say that. Warms my heart just thinking about it.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does anyone out there compost at home? I am considering getting a small one, but there is no place to put it really. I have used the lasagna method and just put kitchen waste under the layers of newspaper. Seems like a good use of all those scraps.

Laura, your husband sounds like a good guy-much better approach to the mess of a roof than letting it raise his blood pressure! ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

There, first laundry of the year on the line!! Yea!! We don't really have a proper line, but I think I will put some money towards it. We are going to get a composter from the local town hall - they are quite enlightened and only charge $20 for one! Some large cities are not so enlightened, perhaps!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Garden shredder ??? We used to have one, great for breaking down garden waste before putting in the compost bin, we have 5 or is it 6 :). We only have a small electric chipper now great for small branches, raspberry canes and such.

Annette

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I love composting! So do my neighbors chickens.
    I have the 2 pile system, add to one til it's full while turning the other. I also have a tumbler my kids got me for mothers day a few yrs ago. I hate that one. Too hard to turn, and gross. Spider hide in the grooves you put your hand in to turn it, and it doesn't heat up!
    ranting!
    Cyn, DH is a very funny guy. He makes me laugh every single day.

Here is a link that might be useful: this one

• thinman
    11 years ago

FWIW, an idea popped into my head, and it has to do with disposal. I don't think that a lot of people use the thing I am thinking of, and Cynthia said many people use it, so I'm probably wrong. To help clarify, is it safe to say that a majority of people in N.A. use this device we are seeking the name of.?
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, we try not to use it here since Chuck is a water guy and this device puts so many nutrients into the water which causes so much alga(algae?) bloom in the Potomac. I think you may have it if you are thinking of an inside device. According to what I read, a lot of people use it. My dad never wanted one, though. Maybe it is not as ubiquitous as I thought.

On another note, I am so disappointed. Our faucet was leaking-shooting water out actually. I was thinking, woohoo, new faucet and maybe I could finagle a new sink out of the deal too. Alas, a new aerator solved the problem.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

OK, I'm ruling out what I was originally thinking, and I'm thinking that I'm now thinking what you're thinking, and I agree with you about its ubiquity.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Soooooo confused!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Aha!!! an inside device, something you definitely want to keep your fingers out of :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Ooohhhh, I think the penny has dropped for me - they don't put them in anymore, do they? Mike Holmes takes them out!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Yikes! I thought it was a heater. Now I think it's something scary. Not too scary, because I heard it can be killed with a teaspoon.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, seeing as how he lived in Wisconsin, a heater would make sense. :)

Think you all have it. I will switch to my iPad in a bit to bestow stars!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

My earlier long post just disappeared as I was typing it, must have gone down the drain.

I have three large compost piles. Never understood how one could use those small commercial ones, not enough room for all the materials from my gardens, yard and house. Nowadays they only get turned a couple times a year. Takes longer but much easier for me. Always have one pile that is ready though this year I am making two new beds and will probably use it all as well as any I can get from the community yard waste facility.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, congratulations everyone, including you, Bobbie! Down the drain was another clue I never got to use. Well done! Yes, Hammes invented the garbage disposal in his basement in 1927 in an attempt to make his wife's life easier. It took him 11 years to perfect it and market it under the name InSinkErator in 1940. General Electric marketed one in 1935. It was called the electric pig by the Emerson Electric Company that introduced it.

Wishing everyone a happy Easter or Passover weekend. Thanks for playing.

Cynthia, whose mulch was never delivered today and is a tad irritated by that!

Here is a link that might be useful: great achievements

• thinman
    11 years ago

No mulch? I guess you can't count on even boy scouts nowadays.

Fun question again, Cynthia. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this every weekend.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars and question, Cynthia. Sorry your mulch was not delivered today. Frustrating to wait for something that was supposed to happen.

Before I started composting I replaced the old garbage disposal and now it is only used during the winter and occasionally when I want to freshen the sink by grinding orange or lemon peels. Next year I might get a large metal garbage can and put scraps in it during the winter. Has anyone tried that?

We will not be attending Easter services this year for the first time in over 30 years since my DH had his first church. Too much coughing and fever keeping us home.

Each of you will be noted as I count my blessings on Easter Day.

11 years ago

Ditto here, I really look forward to trivia weekends, thanks Cyn, Nancy too.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Cyn always fun - and you give my head a much needed scratch!! lol.

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Cyn, thanks for the stars. I never would have gotten it without the great clues.
    as always, lots of fun

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio