Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning all,

I found it so interesting that Nancy and I were on the same wavelength this weekend...until I realized that, no, we weren't! :)

I am however going to ask a question about Vietnam. If you all know it right off, tell me because I have a back-up. This has been in our news during the past week, so perhaps it has been in everyone's,

Anyway, on Friday, Admiral Jeremiah A. Denton, Jr died in Virginia Beach. In 1965, he was shot down south of Hanoi. He was incarcerated in the infamous Hoa Lo prison, nicknamed the Hanoi Hilton. He was also kept at the prison dubbed Alcatraz which was reserved for "the most willful resisters."

While imprisoned, then-Commander Denton managed to get a message home. Do you know how he smuggled that message?

Cynthia

Comments (20)

• thinman
    10 years ago

I do know this one and I love it. Don't change the question on my account.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, TM. I will wait a bit to see. I thought you might know this one. :)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I saw this one in the news this week also and was impressed with his method.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, for you two, let's try this.

Looking for a structure that took two years, two months, and five days to build, but was only intended to last for 20 years. It shrinks in the winter and played an important role in the Battle of the Marne in WWI.

Be back with clues for that as well as for the first if Nancy and Annette chime in here.
    Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

A structure that shrinks, that's a puzzler. I need clues.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shrinks 4-8 inches!

At first, it was considered "useless." It was, however used as a billboard in the late 20s and 30s. Can't tell you the company because that would probably give it away. It was an automobile company, though.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Oh, good question. I'll have to think, if I remember how.

Structures could be lot of different things, right? A building, a tower, a bridge, a monument, some type of transportation ... The sky's the limit.

OK, I'm thinking now, baby.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I asked around and the only thing come up with was done in a blink of an eye.
    I think I may have a guess for the second ? I have a small replica on my charm bracelet.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Annette! You are good. I also have one on my charm bracelet.

It was officially completed on March 31, 1889. Le Figaro set up a printing press on the second floor. It was briefly painted yellow. I cannot imagine that.

Cynthia, who was told by the weather folks that we were to expect rain and warm temps this weekend, with lovely weather starting tomorrow. Ha. Today we had rain, dropping temps that led to ice, and then snow. Seriously? What the heck-where is Spring?

10 years ago

Well it looks like I'm not going to be totally skunked this weekend, still haven't the foggiest about yesterday's trivia. It was the shrinking clue that nailed this one for me :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Oh, Annette, I thought you had yesterday's answer and you were giving a clue when you talked about moving the rock (stone) back in place after planting that lovely clematis. Ha, ha, led me down the primrose path, did you?

We have come up with one structure that shrinks because it uses air. But it does not stay in one place unless anchored.

That reminds me of a program on PBS about Allies using fake tanks in WWII to give the illusion of larger forces in an area. Each morning they had to add more air to the fake tank as the barrel? cannon? would fold over when air escaped during the night.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 18:23

• thinman
    10 years ago

OK, I'm focusing on the shrinking clue, and, Oh Boy, I get to use physics! Everything shrinks in the winter, but different materials shrink by different amounts. If we guess that the structure is made out of steel, use 6 inches of shrinkage, and also guess that the temp goes from 30 C to - 20 C, we can calculate the height of the structure. That puts it in the ballpark of 800 ft.

How did I do?

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Rereading posts I have come up with a structure that is often on charm bracelets and is French in origin and fits the time frame but have no idea if or why it shrinks in the winter.

Beautiful day with snow rapidly disappearing. I worked outside moving the winter pot from the front entry to the back patio. Wasn't able to remove the evergreens as the soil in the pot is still frozen. Did remove hydrangea blooms and other seed heads that were tucked in amongst the branches.

It is getting cool in the house. Time to shut the windows and doors and turn the furnace back on. Expecting another nice day tomorrow, unusual to have two or more days of nice weather this year.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, you are so useful to have around here! ;). I could not have explained it nor could I have done the calculation! Wow.

I suspect Nancy has been deluged with work today. I am so sorry!

So, for all of you, four stars. Yes, the Eiffel Tower celebrates its 125th birthday tomorrow. My son sent me the link. I won't repeat it-quick easy read. Enjoy.

Also, Admiral Denton, as you all knew, used his eyes to blink the word torture in Morse Code. His message was the first that the military knew our POWs were being tortured. He was the highest ranking prisoner when he was released, so he was the first to leave the plane and step back onto US soil. The article in the Washington Post was fascinating.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Eiffel tower

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope this works for the picture. Tried to copy and saw it in the preview, but not once I submitted. :(

Thanks for playing. Have a wonderful week!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Great photo, Cynthia. Thanks for the stars and the fun.

I hadn't thought about the metal shrinking in the winter though did think about it expanding due to summer heat. Same idea, different viewpoint.

10 years ago

Thanks for the stars Cyn, although I figured the Eiffel Tower out by myself I had to yell for "HELP" with the morse code one :). See you all next weekend.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

So it turns out that the Eiffel Tower is 1050 feet tall, which is what about I got for the height when I used 8 inches for the shrinkage. So yay for physics, yay for me, and especially yay for Cynthia doing two questions for us in one day. Thanks a lot, Cynthia.

Cool pic, too. It showed up just fine.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Yes, it was busy day!! calls were back to back. whew - glad i am done. I did eventually figure both out as i read down - good fun, even if i couldn't play with you all.

Thanks Cynthia!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, you need stars, too! No fair dunning you when you were stuck working.

Cynthia

Sponsored