Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! She's a grey old day out there and I am off shortly to bottle some lovely chardonnay. I'd rather be sleeping, though - perhaps tomorrow!!
Well, this is one of those weekends that absolutely nothing leapt off the page at me for trivia -well, maybe one thing, but it needs way more research to become a coherent question, so....in desperation I have resorted to a trivia website - a this place in history, to be exact. March 29th. I remember my first trip to Myrtle Beach, when they had those cute brass plaques that said, "In 1868, on this spot, absolutely nothing happened". Cracked me up - should have bought one. So, what has actually happened - well:

1943 - Eric Idle of Monty Python fame was born. Loved those guys.
1788 - Charles Wesley, the founder of Weslyan Methodism died. I grew up in Weslyan church.
1812 - the first wedding occurred in the White House - President Madison's sister-in-law, the widow of a nephew of George Washington, marries U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thomas Todd. Odd that her name is not mentioned, that she is defined by the men she married. Lucy Payne Washington was her name, and she was the youngest sister of Dolly Madison.
1871 - London's Albert Hall opens - now we know how many holes it takes to fill it!!

And for our actual question:
1973 - a very famous, and long wished for magazine cover was published. Hmmmm....do you know already? I shall be back with clues, but we'll start with a musical offering from Mr. Idle.

Nancy.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Galaxy Song

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 12:27

Comments (23)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This is great. Love the clip and the facts. Now, I am thinking back to 1973. I was a junior in college in March '73. So many interesting happenings. Of course, I have no idea. I first thought of Rolling Stone, but then another idea popped into my head. I do have a solid guess I think, for both the magazine and the subject matter. Funny how ideas pop in and out-after I said no idea, my brain just kicked into gear. That is a nice change-ha.

I was very politically involved back then and still am-attended more than a few protests in the 60s-70s. I'd bet my life that I am on the right track.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I've misplaced my crystal ball, back later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's in you other purse, Annette - lol.
    Cynthia, not sure how political this is - the 70's were one of those decades where everything was though, it seems. Rolling Stone is one of those iconic magazines, though more so in those years.
    1992 - Clinton Admits Marijuana Use U.S. Presidential candidate Bill Clinton states, "â¦when I was in England I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale it, and never tried it again." In 2010, a former Oxford classmate would claim in his memoirs that Clinton didn't inhale because he preferred marijuana brownies. Or maybe it was for medicinal use.....

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I have this one covered, though I didn't know the date was March 29. I was never a big fan of Tricky Dick, but this was one thing he got right.

Having a good time starting seeds in my toasty sun-warmed greenhouse today.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, so I am not on the right track. Will wait for more clues. I was thinking of Nixon, but apparently not the right direction.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oops, hit submit too fast-wanted to add that Chuck is a Vietnam vet, so that was my focus.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Also, one of my possible questions leans in that direction! Ha.

Cynthis

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Am leaning a certain direction from the clues but will give this more thought.

Nancy, did you have a photo in your first posting? Have a box with a question mark in there on my computer.

Got a busy day planned. Will check back much later.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1973 - Vietnam War The last U.S. prisoners of war held by Communist forces in Vietnam are released and the last U.S. troops are withdrawn from South Vietnam.

Cyn, didn't want you to wander too far from the path. Iconic, for sure, but not where I was going. I can see how this would confuse you - didn't mean to do that. I'm aiming for something completely different. Oh dear, another Monty Python reference which is unintentional. Maybe a I need a Dr.
    Bobbie - no, there was no picture - I wonder how that got there? Maybe when I edited my post...

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Day in the Life

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette - did you find you other purse? Maybe it has some silver dollars with the Queen's head on them!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Nancy, misplaced that as well :(.
    I bought a new to me clematis, an evergreen scrambler (won't cling) called Joe. It's really a pretty little thing, blooms this time of year sooooo I've been out in my garden room ripping out some stone work. Why didn't I take a picture before I started (give your head a shake Annette) getting the rock back in the same order is not going well. I had an ostrich fern in this spot but wasn't happy with it. I think this little clemie is going to look nice rambling over the stone work, that is if I can get these rocks back the way they were.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arghh - making butter chicken for dinner - just slicing up some vidalia onion in my new mandolin - ever so sharp, but I managed to take out a knuckle. Profuse bleeding - band aid will not hold it - oh well - dinner will be yummy when I can resume cooking. Doctor, doctor.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ouch.

I think Dr.is a clue (not a complete dolt), but just can't figure it out. Sigh.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Maybe I don't have this one covered. I was thinking the the long-wished-for event was the end of the Viet Nam war. God knows it was wished-for for a long time.

Will re-read everything and ponder.

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 21:07

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was what I was thinking TM! I think we are way off, but I have no ideas. No, actually, I have lots of ideas, but none of them will work-was thinking maybe something to do with space, but nothing works, Then thought music and space to come up with Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.which was around then, Thought maybe Halley's comet came by, but have no idea about that really. Nothing works with the doctor clue. I give up.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I was thinking the end of the VN war for the U.S. As well.

Sounds like this may be something English or Canadian. Dr. comments
    have me thinking me think of Dr. Who. Was this the first photo of the first replacement Dr.?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh dear, no - who knew these two completely diverse things could happen on the same day. I missed the reference to the end of the Vietnam War. My friend Sylvia's mother got 5 copies of the magazine. Imagine that.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The only other thing doctor brings to mind is a famous baby? But who?

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Reread all the postings and mother and five copies jarred "five copies for my mother" loose. Those are from the song "Cover of Rolling Stone". I remember the song but not the band. Were they on the cover of Rolling Stone on this date?

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 1:44

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Bobbie - yes, you got it. I am such a Canadian, I did miss the end of the Vietnam War :(

I was going for something much lighter and sillier - Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show finally made the cover of Rolling Stone, several months after releasing the song.

{{gwi:598995}}

This cracks me up and makes me realize how much our musical standards have been raised. Oh my - but it is still fun. So, for Bobbie:
    {{gwi:598938}}

Thanks for playing, sorry for the misdirection. See you next week.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cover of Rolling Stone

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the dancing stars. Not surprising you went in that direction with your interest and knowledge of popular music.

I heard Cover of the Rolling Stone on the radio recently which is probably why the phrase came to mind.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 23:42

• thinman
    10 years ago

Always liked that nutty song, and, in fact, I did eventually think of it as an answer to our question, but I couldn't remember the name of the group, other than Doctor something.

Good question, Nancy. Thanks for the fun, as always.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Aw, that is great! No, I wouldn't have remembered it either.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

Cynthia