Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

thinman
13 years ago

You all clearly know a lot more about hot peppers than I do, so this will probably be as easy for you as yesterday's question. Here are five common peppers in alphabetical order. Try to rearrange them in order of mildest to hottest.

1. Ancho

2. Cayenne

3. Habanero

4. Jalapeno

5. Pepperoncini

ThinMan

Comments (10)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I'm not sure on one but will take a guess...

1. Ancho
    2. Jalapeno
    3. Pepperoncini
    4. Cayenne
    5. Habanero

Annette

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

well all I know about peppers is from what I learn when looking them up because they are being offered to me or I see them on a trade list, so I will have to think about it and take a wild stab. Off to lunch and will be back

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Okay-absolutely guessing:

1. Ancho
    2. Pepperoncini
    3. Jalapeno
    4. Cayenne
    5. Habanero

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Hmmmmmm, pepperoncini is one I'm not familiar with, I put it after jalapenos because the jalapenos I grow don't have that much zip, when I make fresh salsa with them the onion seems to have more zip than the j's do.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

I am going to go with Cyns list. Like I said yesterday, our hot ON summers seem to add a little extra heat to the j's.

Nancy.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

well I am totally not sure about the list at all
    and Nancy you are right. I think that the growing conditions have a lot to do with how they come across in the spicey/hot department. I grew hot hungarian peppers a few years back and they were very mild....almost no bite at all. I have a few seeds left and may try them again although I am running out of space for peppers this year I think. :)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I do not grow hot peppers, preferring the sweet ones. While looking for paprika peppers I mistakenly bought pepperonicini (hey, both start with a p, right?). The package says sweet and mildly hot. Think I will take them back.

The yellow hungarian peppers I grew years ago for my son were very mild, not at all hot as I expected.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

glg - there's always room for peppers!!! lol...I love having the option of picking my own sweet or hot ones. I tend always to be able to grow j's well, and hotbath them in in cider vinegar at the end of the season!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And the answer is ...

1. Pepperoncini 100 - 500 Scovilles
    2. Ancho 1000 - 2000
    3. Jalapeno 2500 - 8000
    4. Cayenne 30,000 - 50,000
    5. Habanero 100,000 - 350,000

for Annette, Cynthia, and Nancy.

The hottest pepper in the world is reportedly the Bhut Jolokia, but I'm not sure there is 100 % agreement on this.

Thanks for playing trivia with me this weekend.

TM

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

Nancy although I do agree about the peppers my space is limited so will most likely stick with the ones I have already started (riiight! haha)
    I have sweet apple, orange sun, yellow mini, hot cherry bomb, fish, cayenne and alma paprika for the garden plus medusa and explosive embers which will go into containers.
    So I do have a mix of sweet and hot
    MMMMMMMM can't wait for those peppers!

Sponsored