Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Easter, one and All!! Hope you are having a blessed Sunday - the sun is trying to come here!!

Well, she was born December 12, 1938 in Newark, New Jersey. She was a popular singer in the 50's and 60's. She recorded in Portuguese, German, Yiddish, Italian - as well as English. She is still with us......who am I looking for??

Nancy - who will be back with clues if you clever people need them!!

Comments (20)

• thinman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This may be a tough one. First I thought of Barbra, but I don't think she is old enough.

Hmmmmm.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, Babs is a spring chicken - born in 1942!! lol. But our singer was in a couple of movies, as well as once providing the 'singing voice' for actresses. I missed Romanian in her repertoire! She did not really speak all of these languages, but learned them phonetically.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Pretty sure I know this one, spending a spring break in Florida might be fun.

Annette

11 years ago

Just deleted stupid double post .

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 10:37

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh Annette - I feel bad that Cynthia's break is over - and no garden work as a souvenir!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Our weather people lied again. It was supposed to be near 60 today and partly cloudy. Passable gardening weather. Alas, it is nowhere near that warm and it is raining. Too bad. Still, vacation is vacation, so no complaints.

Trying to think of singers of that age. Waiting for clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cynthia, Annette and I gave you a couple!!

That's too bad that you didn't get your mulch delivered yesterday - I wonder where those Boy Scouts were??

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

In spite of it being spring, no names are springing to mind. More clues, please.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Sorry, even with clues no name comes to mind for me.

Cool and windy but sunny here. Was 56 degrees yesterday, a heat wave for us! I can see patches of ground and even some green but definitely too early for any outdoor gardening. Going to do some winter sowing later today.

11 years ago

Cyn sorry you didn't get your mulch yesterday, wonder where those darn boys are.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, she was the top-charting female vocalist of the 1950s and 1960s. Although her chart success waned in the second half of the 1960s, she remained a top concert draw. Despite several severe interruptions in her career, our mystery artist is still active as a recording and performing artist (as of November 2011).
    In the early 50`s she appeared on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts. In 1958 her first top ten hit broke on American Bandstand. A follow-up proved hard to find till Neil Sedaka pitched a song to her.

Her father was a huge influence in her life and prevented her from pursuing the man she believes would have been the love of her life....hmmmmm.......he even chased him off with a gun, foiling cupid.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

OK, I think I have it now, but I thought she was younger than that. She'd make for quite a billing if she sang a duet with the new pope.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah yes, TM, but it wouldn't be a sister act!! lol. I guess we all need a vacation!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ooh oooooh. Where the boys are and Florida. Got it. Thanks, Annette-it was your comment about the boys that helped me put it all together! I loved that song and the movie. Very sad life, though. She was so cute way back when.

I am not sure these scouts really get it. Long story. Guess I will talk to their mom at school tomorrow. I don't think their pack really understands how scouting here in the US works and chances are they misunderstood about delivery-which she assured me they would do. Oh well.

School night. :(. Will check back in tomorrow when I get home. Just to be sure, she and I share a first initial, right? We are only one off on the last initial, too. How about that! I have been much luckier though.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Ooh, I have it also but thought she had died. Her last name reminds me of a talking mule. Loved her voice.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol - a talking mule!!

{{gwi:599156}}
    Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero was born in the Italian Down Neck, or Ironbound, neighborhood of Newark, New Jersey, the first child of George Franconero, Sr., and Ida Franconero (née Ferrari-di Vito), spending her first years in a Brooklyn neighborhood on Utica Avenue/St. Marks Avenue before the family moved to New Jersey. Growing up in an Italian-Jewish neighborhood, Francis became fluent in Yiddish, which would lead her to later record songs in Yiddish as well as Hebrew.

During this time, Francis continued to perform at neighborhood festivities and talent shows (some of which were broadcast on television), appearing alternately as Concetta Franconero and Connie Franconero. Under the latter name she also appeared on NBC's variety show "Startime Kids" between 1953 and 1955.
    During the rehearsals for her appearance on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts, Francis was advised by Godfrey to change her stage name to Connie Francis for the sake of easier pronunciation. Godfrey also told her to drop the accordion - advice she gladly followed, as she had begun to hate the large and heavy instrument. In 1955, "Startime Kids" went off air. In May that same year, George Franconero Sr. and Francis' manager George Scheck raised the cash for a recording session of four songs which they hoped to sell to a major record under Francis' own name. The story goes that every record label they tried turned her down, mainly because, as a demo singer, Francis could copy other popular singers of the day like Kitty Kallen or Kay Starr, but had not yet developed a distinctive sound of her own.
    Finally, even when MGM Records decided to sign a contract with her, it was basically because one track she had recorded, "Freddy", happened to be the name of the son of a company executive, Harry A. Myerson, who thought of this song as a nice birthday gift. Hence, "Freddy" was released as Francis' first single, which turned out to be a commercial failure, just as her following eight solo singles.
    Despite these failures, Francis was hired to record the vocals for Tuesday Weld's "singing" scenes in the 1956 movie Rock, Rock, Rock, and for Freda Holloway in the 1957 Warner Brothers rock and roll movie Jamboree.
    Minor chart success came too late - Francis' recording contract consisted of ten solo singles and one duet single. Even though success finally had seemed to come with "The Majesty of Love", Francis was informed by MGM Records that her contract would be discontinued after her last solo single.
    Francis considered a career in medicine and was about to accept a four-year scholarship offered at New York University. At what was to have been her final recording session for MGM on October 2, 1957, she recorded a cover version of the 1923 song "Who's Sorry Now?", written by Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby. Francis has said that she recorded it at the persistence of her father, who was convinced it stood a chance of becoming a hit because it was a song adults already knew and that teenagers would dance to if it had a contemporary arrangement.
    Francis met with Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield who sang a number of ballads they had written for her. After a few hours, Francis began writing in her diary while the songwriters played the last of their ballads. Afterwards, Francis told them that she considered their ballads too intellectual and sophisticated for the young generation and requested a more lively song. Greenfield urged Sedaka to sing a song they had written that morning with The Shepherd Sisters in mind. Sedaka protested that Francis would be insulted, but Greenfield said that since she hated all the other songs they had performed, they had nothing to lose. Sedaka played "Stupid Cupid". When he finished, Francis announced that he had just played her new hit record. The song reached # 14 on the Billboard chart and was her second # 1 in the UK.
    November 8, 1974, Francis was raped at the Jericho Turnpike Howard Johnson's Lodge and nearly suffocated to death under the weight of a heavy mattress the culprit had thrown upon her. She subsequently sued the motel chain for failing to provide adequate security and reportedly won a $2.5 million judgment, at the time one of the largest such judgments in history, leading to a reform in hotel security. Her rapist was never found.
    In 1977, Francis underwent nasal surgery and completely lost her voice. She went through several more operations and even when she got her voice back, she was forced to take vocal lessons, something she had never done before.
    Another tragedy in Francis' life was the killing of her brother George Franconero, Jr., with whom she was very close, by Mafia hitmen in 1981.
    Early in her career, Francis was introduced to Bobby Darin, then an up-and-coming singer and songwriter. Darin's manager arranged for him to help write several songs for her. Despite some disagreement about material, after several weeks Darin and Francis developed a romantic relationship. Francis' strict Italian father would separate the couple whenever possible. When her father learned that Bobby Darin had suggested the two lovers would elope after one of her shows, he ran Darin out of the building at gunpoint, telling Bobby to never see his daughter again.
    Francis saw Darin only two more times - once when the two were scheduled to sing together for a television show, and again when Francis was spotlighted on the TV series This Is Your Life. By the time of the latter's taping, Bobby Darin had married actress Sandra Dee. In her autobiography Francis stated she and her father were driving into the Lincoln Tunnel when the radio DJ announced Dee and Darin's marriage. Her father made a negative comment about Bobby finally being out of their lives. Angered, Francis wrote, she hoped the Hudson River would fill the Lincoln Tunnel, killing both her and her father; she later wrote that not marrying Darin was the biggest mistake of her life.
    {{gwi:599158}}
    Connie Francis will be a guest on the Eddie ESQ. Show for Savvy Seniors on Sunday, April 7, at 4:05PM (just after the CBS top of the hour news.) The program will stream worldwide from WCFO AM Atlanta 1160 and can be heard by visiting WCFO AM Atlanta Radio.

So, I believe we all got to Where the Boys Are?? Yes!! So, for TM, Cyn, Annette and Bobbie:

Thanks for playing - hope the Easter bunny gifted you all!! Hope you were surrounded by family and friends. See you next week.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who's Sorry Now?

• auntyara
    10 years ago

sorry I missed the fun. I played along this morning but never would have gotten this one. What a strong woman.
    :) Laura

• thinman
    10 years ago

Fun question and fact-packed answer, Nancy, as always. Thanks for all the effort it takes to keep us in questions every weekend. We appreciate it.
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wow. Never knew about the Bobby Darin connection. Now, he was a definite crush of mine. Wonderful singer as was Connie Francis.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy. Have a good week all. We are back to below freezing temps tonight. Jeepers, I don't blame the person who sued Punxatawtney Phil for fraud (? Not sure that was it) for predicting an early spring!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and question. Great link which led to other links including some interviews which I listened to while reading the paper. One link was a medley of songs all of which I knew the words for and could sing, okay with this cold, croak, along.

DH was watching the game downstairs so didn't have to listen, Lol.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 14:16

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia