Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers! It is a fine morning here, dry, sunny with temperatures threatening to get into the high teens, that would be the 60's for my American friends. I remembered this am that I have been in DC in the Spring. The cherry blossoms were again early, and we missed them, but saw some magnificent magnolias at your National Arboretum!!

Well, on to business now. I've been planning this one for a while!! I hope that it turns out to be fun!! I have an iGoogle homepage - yes, they're probably spying on me. One of the features is a revolving box of quotes by famous, infamous and not so well known people. One of my favourites is this: "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire. I try to remember that when I'm tempted to quote something in a heated debate. I was starting this when I came up with all of the Mark Twain misquotes; I should do it for Churchill as well. Did you know he really never said anything remotely like, "Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." He actually was a Conservative at 20, and a Liberal at 25!! I love this stuff!! So, same idea, let's see if you can line these up with the correct author/speaker.

A. Freedom is the last, best hope of earth.

B. The basis of a democratic state is liberty.

C. A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

D. What does not kill me makes me stronger.

E. ... when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

F. Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit.

G. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.

H. Political action is the highest responsibility of a citizen.

I. The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

J. War doesn't determine who's right - only who's left.

K. It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

L. You see things; and you say: "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say: "Why not?"

1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

2. John F. Kennedy

3. Robert Frost

4. Aristotle

5. Friedrich Nietzsche

6. Ronald Reagan

7. Abraham Lincoln

8. Sir Winston Churchill

9. Charles Darwin

1. Bertrand Russell
  2. George Bernard Shaw
  3. Albert Einstein

Not easy, but I tried to come up with something perhaps indicative of their known views, although with politicians, I sometimes wonder if they are just trying to sound presidential or prime ministerial. How many of the dozen can you get without clues?? I'll figure some out and be back!!

Nancy - hey, Spring really is here - a herd of Harley' just went by!!.

Comments (16)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh, this will be fun. I recognize the quotations (think you may have the wrong Kennedy for one, but I have been known to be wrong on occasion-yes, I know that is surprising-ha). Anyway, I will sit down with these in just a few minutes after I put one load of wash in the dryer and a new load in the washer.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Ahh yes, one may have been 'borrowed', or shall we say mis-attributed?? I'm getting my first load out on the line shortly. Tried to do bit of yoga this am - boy, am I inflexible. btw, no intentional clues above. I think it's a bit to soon, yes??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Uhoh. That makes sense since both John and Bobby were so well-read and often quoted others. Okay, rethinking. Should have known you wouldn't make a mistake like that! Dope-slap to my forehead! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hee-hee!! You thought I'd make it easy? I did try to keep it to quotes that I think most people have heard, and fairly famous people. I will say that two American presidents seemed to agree on one subject...

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yep, once I let go of that first thought, I did get those and hope I picked the right one for the right one. :)

I think I know some, but I keep going back and changing them. I will think I am almost done and then the couple I have left don't quite seem to fit the people I have left. Aarrgghh. This is great. You have me thinking. May run it by Chuck to see what he thinks.

Is everyone else outside playing? I need help here!!!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know Annette is having computer woes. Not sure how she emailed me, but I sent her a copy of the question, just in case. The weather is sooooo nice, people must be out playing. I have laundry on the line, Have spent much of the day trying to corral the cat fur - mostly kitten fur, she is sooo fuzzy - and finally got the floors washed!! Exhausted now, and enjoying a glass of wine. I know, a little early for me too, but I'll have just the one, and then head out to get the laundry in. I'm hoping people will chime in when they come indoors!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I'm back, using Safari instead of Camino which is behaving badly, keeps coming up with errors and won't let me log on.

I think I know the answer to two of them but thats it for me, later.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, I have a tentative match for all, but I am NOT happy about several of them and most were really guesses. Oh well. I will list my answers later. I am sure I know the one for Doyle, at least. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, since it is a school night, I am going to go ahead and post my guesses, so skip on down if you don't want to see. Of course, bear in mind I have little confidence in more than a few of them! :)

A-7 Lincoln
    B-4 Aristotle
    C-8 Churchill
    D-5 Nietzsche
    E-1 Doyle (this one I am pretty sure of)
    F-6 Reagan (or maybe reverse Reagan and Lincoln...)
    G-11 Shaw
    H-2 Kennedy
    I-12 Einstein
    J-10 Russell
    K-9 Darwin (gotta be)
    L- 3 Frost Don't really like him for this one, but he's the only one left and I am tired of switching them around-;)

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I was pretty sure on two

C-8 Churchill
    I-12 Einstein

and two guesses

A-7 Lincoln
    K-9 Darwin

that's it for me

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mmmmm.....Cyn, Frost sometimes comes early....

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

It's been a busy but good day for me, starting 7 flats of flower seeds, doing garden and yard cleanup a good month early, and a porch steps repair that got added to my Honey-do list. So I haven't done much thinking about all the fine quotations, and after a quick look-over, here is all I have guesses for:

E - Doyle
    I - Einstein
    K - Darwin
    C and G both sound like they might be Churchill.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Aw jeepers. If I make Frost B, then that makes Aristotle L and I know that can't be right (especially if I was wrong about Bobby Kennedy saying that-ha). However, if I make Frost D, then Nietzsche would be L, but that just can't be right either. G doesn't seem Frost-like to me, but then Shaw would be L . Or I could take all of those, toss them up in the air and see where they land. :) Yow-my head hurts. No stars for me. Nonetheless, will be on pins and needles waiting for the answers. This really has been fun!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mmmmm.....Cyn, Frost sometimes comes early....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, A for effort all around - should have known I couldn't compete with Mother Nature at her best!!

1... when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

2. The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

3. You see things; and you say: "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say: "Why not?"
    George Bernard Shaw

4. War doesn't determine who's right - only who's left.
    Bertrand Russell

5. It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"
    â Charles Darwin

6. What does not kill me makes me stronger.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

1. Political action is the highest responsibility of a citizen."
      Late US President John F. Kennedy

9. "Freedom is the last, best hope of earth."
    Late US President Abraham Lincoln

1. Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit."
      Late US President Ronald Reagan

2. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel."
      Robert Frost

3. The basis of a democratic state is liberty."
      Aristotle

Ignore the numbers - they were to help me make sure I kept everything 'straight'. TM, glad you got so much accomplished. Nice to be ahead of the game, every now and then.

Cyn - you done good, girl!! lol. Because I can, I'm giving you:

Thanks to all for playing - Annette, I'm glad you got up and running.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Most were reasoned guesses based on what I knew about the person. That worked pretty well. Lincoln and Reagan were sort of up for grabs-knew they had to be the two freedom ones and figured Reagan would have been more flowery and Lincoln more truly poetic. Never would have gotten Shaw or Frost right except through luck. Oh well. Somehow, those just didn't fit my ideas. Very interesting, though. Now, off to try to find out more about those.

Thanks for the stars and the fun. I just had more time to play with those than the others. Just kept coming back...and back...and...

Oh, and I think I will test Chuck on them, just for fun.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH