Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Oh dear, late again - my apologies. I was going to have this ready to go last light, then I had some technical difficulties - well, you know, here we are!!

So I thought of a great multiple choice question: Famous TV Cars!! Sounds like fun, and there were some shows that were defined, not by the actors, but by the vehicles. Others we think of in the same breath. That is to say, some of these will be easy, others not so much! Shall we begin? I will give you three lists - your mission is to match them back together!!

The Car:

1977 Pontiac Firebird Esprit
1962 Volkswagon Beetle
1955 Ford Lincoln Futura Concept Car
1975 Ford Gran Torino
'61 Corvette - mostly
1966 Chrysler Imperial
1977 Ferrari 308 GTS
1982 Customized Pontiac Trans Am
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1972 Ferrari Daytona Spider / 1986 Ferrari Testarossa
1969 Dodge Charger
1983 GMC G-15

The Show:

Batman & Robin
Knight Rider
Magnum P.I.
The Rockford Files
Miami Vice
The Love Bug
Starsky & Hutch
The Dukes of Hazard
The A-Team
Route 66
The Green Hornet
Vega$

The Driver(s):

Jim Rockford
Starsky or Hutch
Burt Ward
Thomas Magnum
Jim Douglas
Sonny Crocket
Dan Tanna
Bo & Luke
Michael Arthur Long
Bruce Lee - yes, that Bruce Lee
B.A., Hannibal, Faceman or Howling Mad
Tod or Buzz

An even dozen sounds about right. I'll be back with clues, if you smart guys need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (24)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Chuck and John will know the ones I don't! Great question and brings back fun memories of some great shoes! Loved Rockford, watched Knight Rider with John when he was a wee lad.

I will work on these. Just glanced quickly.

No worries about being late-I didn't get up until 8 after going to bed at 9:00-11 hours. Wow.

I am going to try to talk Chuck into riding out into the country today to look at a house with 10 acres that is for sale. How much fun would the pups have if they had that much space to explore?!

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Ooh, I think I can get somewhere with this one. I'm a car guy from way back and I think I've seen most of these.

I will commence matching.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aah, TM, I thought this might be up your gasoline alley!! Cynthia, the pups would be ecstatic, wouldn't they?? And you would have lots of space to garden, too ;-)
    I had such a crush on Dan Tanna back in the day - doing the research for this question actually made me realize that I had been wrong about his car - I thought it was a red Mustang. Memory is a funny thing!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:599293}}
    Some cars had nick-names - this is the "Striped Tomato", so named by one of the stars of the series.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Lol, I slept in too, I know a few of these and I'm sure DH will know the ones I don't so I'll be back.....later.

Annette

10 years ago

I think we've got it, one or two by process of elimination tho :). I printed this out, put a number beside each car, show, and driver and crossed them off as we went. Will post our answers later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Few things define an individual better than the car they drive and nothing better defines a movie or TV series than the car the lead character drives. For years people from all walks of life were known by their cars and that recognition spilled over into TV shows and movies in a big way.

Throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s cars played a big part in just about every TV series and film - to the point that audiences would see the car and immediately associate it with a particular (entertainment) brand. Sometimes the car was just an iconic mode of transportation meant to show the societal class of the person driving it - like Fred SanfordâÂÂs beat up 1951 Ford truck in Sanford & Son or Colt Seaversâ early 1980s model GMC pickup truck in the Fall Guy. Other times, the automobile overshadowed its lead actor, becoming a focal point of attention well after the show or movie it appeared in had stopped being popular. Our entries are all of the above - a real mix.
    Jim Rockford was such a low-key kind of guy, at least till the chips were down - just like his car!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Okay, not a car gal. If you asked me "What kind of car was it?" My answer would have been "Blue."

Today after having owned a few I pay more attention to the make. I used to be amazed when the guys I was with could identify the make, model and year of a passing vehicle. Still am.

Two quesses:
    The Love Bug. Volkswagen Beetle
    Starsky and Hutch. Pontiac Firebird. I wanted to say Transam but think
    the show was before '82

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha, ha, even seeing the car I got it wrong. I should have said "Red."

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie- lol. When I was a travel agent I sold travel insurance to families going South, to cover if someone got hurt or sick. Of course, we needed full names and dates of birth for the children. Almost to a one, the men struggled with this question - then I would ask them what engine was in their first car - you can guess the rest!! Striped Tomato it was!

{{gwi:599295}}
    sa - mokin'!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Since most may know these, here are mine and Chuck's:
    1977 Pontiac Firebird-Rockford-Jim Rockford
    1962VW Beetle-Lovebug-Jim Douglas
    1955 Lincoln Futura Concept car-Green Hornet-Bruce Lee
    1975 Gran Torino-Starskey and Hutch-S&H
    1961 Corvette-Rt66-Todd or Buzz
    1966 Chrysler Imperial-Batman-Burt Ward
    1977 Ferrari 308-Magnum PI-Thomas Magnum (not his car though)
    1982 customized Pontiac Trans Am-Knight Rider-Michael Long
    1957 Ford T-bird- Vega$-Dan Tanna
    1972 Ferrari Daytona Spider/Testarossa-Miami Vice-Sonny Crockett (best tv pilot ever with the scene of the car heading down the road at night to the Phil Collins tune, In the Air Tonight
    1969 Dodge Charger-Dukes of Hazard-Bo and Duke (one of John's favorites along with Knight Rider
    1985 Gmc G-15-A-Team-b.a., Hannibal, et al

Cynthia (and Charles, the car expert)

ps. The house and property were nice-in horse country. The pups would be in heaven and I would be busy turning grass into gardens! We'll see.

10 years ago

Here's mine....

1.... The Rockford Files...Jim Rockford
    2.... The love Bug...Jim Douglas
    3.... Batman and Robin...Burt Ward
    4.... Starsky and Hutch...Starsky or Hutch
    5.... Route 66...Tod or Buzz
    6....The Green Hornet...Bruce Lee
    7.... Magnum P.I....Thomas Magnum
    8.... Knight Rider...Michael Long
    9.... Vega$....Dan Tanna
    10.. Miami Vice...Sonny Crocket
    11.. The Dukes of Hazard...Bo & Luke
    12.. The A-Team...Ba, Hannibal, Faceman or Howling Mad

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette - 2 out of 3 ain't bad - you forgot an all important component. Cyn, 10 out of 12 is a passing grade.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Annette, the Batmobile vs the Green Hornet were the ones we weren't sure of on the list.

Cynthia

10 years ago

I was too lazy to write in the car just numbered them 1 -12 LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

Guess it's time to show our cards, huh? Here are mine. I did have to guess at a couple.

1977 Pontiac Firebird Esprit ... Rockford ... Jim Rockford
    1962 Volkswagon Beetle ... Love Bug ... Jim Douglas
    1955 Ford Lincoln Futura Concept Car ... Green Hornet ... Bruce Lee
    1975 Ford Gran Torino ... Starsky ... S or H
    '61 Corvette - mostly ... Route 66 ... Tod or Buz
    1966 Chrysler Imperial ... Batman ... Burt Ward
    Ferrari 308 GTS and Testarossa ... Magnum PI ... Thomas Magnum
    1982 Customized Pontiac Trans Am ... Knight Rider ... Michael Long
    1957 Ford Thunderbird ... Vega$ ... Dan Tanna
    1972 Ferrari Daytona ⦠Miami Vice ... Sonny Crockett
    1969 Dodge Charger ... Dukes of Hazzard ... Bo & Luke
    1983 GMC G-15 ... A-Team ... B. A et. Al.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay switch Batman to the Futura and the Green Hornet to the Chrysler Imperial and TM and I should be perfect! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There you go, Cyn - you may be right - or as Billy Joel says, I may be crazy - but I'm just the kind of lunatic you're looking for - c'mon Annette - Mustang up!! Bobbie, are you in??

Nancy - who thinks her answer will be a long one, with lots of pictures!!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Nah, I'm done as have no idea which goes with which. Final answer
    Love Bug and Volkswagen Beetle go together.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, you are perfect Cynthia, and if TM is on your coattails, he is too!! Bobbie - red is good - lol.

For Cyn and TM:
    {{gwi:599297}}{{gwi:599299}}{{gwi:599302}}{{gwi:599305}}

For Annette and Bobbie:
    {{gwi:599307}}

Thanks to all for playing; instead of a bunch of cutting and pasting I'm going to give you the link below. It's fun and has movie cars in it too. Kind of sad at the end, cause the author laments the loss of the iconic car mascots. I watch one series, Supernatural, where the car is seen as the metaphorical home for the 2 heroes - it is a 1967 black Impala that had belonged to their father. Like the brothers, it has come back from the dead a few times. They were going to use a Mustang, but the Impala is muscle car that blends, but as the writer says, if it pulled up to you at a traffic light, you'd lock your doors. And the trunk is big enough to hold a body!!

See you all next week.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: 25 most Iconic Vehicles

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

How fun! I learned to drive in a 1965 Chevrolet Impala convertible-navy blue with white top, round tail lights, such a cool car. I loved it. Linked a photo (not ours)-don't remember it being quite so long, but it looked just like this one with white walls (!), bench front seat, etc. boy, did I enjoy driving that. Lots of trips to the shore in it. My dad eventually sold it to my cousin for $100 without even asking me if I would like it! Still irritated about that! Ha.

Thanks for the cars! ;). Off to check out your link!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Interesting read and thanks for the stars. I think you gave them to me for humor, certainly not for knowledge.

The first car I remember being aware of was the first convertible Mustang. One of my h.s. freshman classmates had a red one which I coveted and still think of often, the car, not the classmate, well, okay, the classmate a little.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Grade 11 Physics teacher had a 66 green mustang - he used it to 'teach' about acceleration - in the parking lot - lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Fun, fun, fun stuff, Nancy. It made me think back to probably the greatest car chase in movies -- Steve McQueen driving the Mustang fastback in the movie Bullitt.

In my first year teaching physics I had a '64 Impala convertible and one snowy winter day we took it out beside the school and did some skidding to a stop so we could measure the coefficient of friction between the tires and the snow. Measured the speed and distance and went inside and fired up our slide rules. Fun stuff. I think your physics teacher and I would have got along very well.

Thanks for the cool trivia.

TM

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus