Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! We are expecting rain to wash the snow away - yea!!!

I watched a fun TV show last week about $1 million bathrooms - hold cow, some people sure know how to spend like crazy!! Some ot them had glass walls, no doors - very odd in my opinion!! We North Americans are normally such prudes, really. A toilet, tank only, was first seen on TV on a Leave it to Beaver show. I suppose that's not toooo late. The whole toilet was not seen in a movie till a few years later - any guesses? That's your mission today! I will be back with clues, if you're straining for answers. Ooooo, sorry, bad pun.

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh now, this will get us all thinking back! I will try to get these grey cells working!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

No idea. Waiting for clues.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Bobbie, there was one already!!
    I am sorry I was late this am, but I get caught every year by the daylight savings time change. I was laying in bed, pain-free, listening to what must have been 100 crows down at the river, 3 blocks away. I am going to walk down there when I can get off my old lady rocker!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...two possible directions to go from your last post. Which to choose...
    I can't remember either one clearly enough at this point. There are scenes in both, however, that no one will ever forget.

Sorry to hear there is a hitch in your giddy-up and go.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oops double post

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 15:02

• auntyara
    11 years ago

hello fellow trivia players.
    what a gorgeous day it is! I actually start some spring cleaning. I tackled the bathroom first and was disgusted how filthy my shower curtain was. I was almost afraid of it! The bath mat needs to go! The hard water stains just won't come off. Off spot off. lol
    The crows around here are kinda comical. When my kids were little I told them that the crows are laughing at how silly we are.
    We only have a small murder of them. They love to pick at the compost.

Your clues are sending me down a lonely street with 2 guesses.
    :) Laura

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Leave it to Beaver was aired in the late 50's if I remember correctly. Soooo I'm thinking probably it was in the 60's the first toilet was shown in all it's crowning glory, are you looking for the exact year or which movie???? Need clues for this.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am looking for the movie, though the scene was incredibly short for the impact it made, it is rather memorable. I think Cyn and Laura have gist of it, though.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Does this movie open with a big old house on a hill?

11 years ago

Ahhhh, think I've got it now :). That A. P. J. L. movie.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aahhh, Bobbie, a house on a hill, near a swamp!! Laura, I hope you don't have chocolate stains to get out of your bathroom!!

It is an unusual âÂÂphobia film,â as it does not directly portray a phobia. Instead, the film generated or exacerbated a specific phobia. Scrubbing bubbles or the Tidy bowl man might help!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Okay, that nails it! Not The Birds, but the other one. Even more than that phobia, I would NEVER stay in one of those roadside motels in the middle of nowhere! Of course, I also would not embezzle from my employer. ;) Am I remembering that right? That was one seriously scary/creepy movie. Probably the last one like that I ever watched. I saw it on tv though, not at the theater.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think you do, Cyn. Annette confuses me every time - then I looked again at the intials - indeed!! Annette, I believe that you have it!!

Nancy - who wonders where TM is.....caught cleaning this attic?

• thinman
    11 years ago

Hi Nancy, I'm here. I've checked in a couple of times, but had nothing worthwhile to contribute. I did get my first seeds started though, so that's a plus. Also I've been working on my guitar project today. Neither of those two things helped me with your tricky little trivia question, but it's clear that the smart ones have figured out the answer.

I can see now that if I had been thinking right, like famous bathroom scene, I might have actually figured it out. Next time!

TM

• auntyara
    11 years ago

oh Annette,
    you're confusing me with the cap letters! lol :)
    i wonder if Antonio Banderas is a trivia player. OMG is he something or what?
    BTW I'm forgiving my MIL right now.
    American, Polish girls, never marry an American, Italian boy. EVER!
    Long day, don't ask.

11 years ago

LOL Laura, at first I had a '&' between A.P. and J.L. but took it out and kept my fingers crossed Nancy would figure the initals stood for Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh she did.
    From what I've read Janet Leigh after seeing the movie gave up taking showers.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I think we all figured it out?? Yes, indeed.

Motion picture decency standards in the 1960 didn't allow for things like nude women being stabbed to death in showers. Consequently, Hitchcock was forced to create the impression of nudity and violence without actually showing a breast, a buttock, or a knife puncturing skin. The result is a terrifying masterpiece of a montage. And even though it's probably the most analyzed (and parodied) 45 seconds in film history, we're willing to bet the following tidbits slipped past you.

Forget the bloody corpse in the bathtub: what really got "Psycho" censors worked up was the toilet. Just before stepping into that fateful shower, Marion tears up an incriminating note and flushes it. Hitchcock's close-up of the swirling commode water was the first ever allowed in an American film.

What looks like blood funneling down the drain is actually Bosco chocolate syrup. Hitchcock thought it looked more real in black-and-white than the fake stuff. Tastier, too.

The scene is composed of more than 90 shots seen in 70 different camera angles. It took Hitchcock and his crew an entire week to film it. To put that into perspective: The entire film took only six weeks.

The woman who played Janet Leigh's body double in about half of the shower-scene shots was named Myra Jones. In a sad case of life imitating art, Jones was stabbed to death in 1988. Her killer? A mentally disturbed handyman who targeted older women. He'd murdered at least one other before her - that police know about. The film, btw, was made in 1960.

On a lighter note, after the release of "Psycho," Hitchcock received an irate letter from a man whose daughter had refused to take baths after seeing the French thriller "Les Diaboliques" (in which a man is drowned in a tub). After seeing "Psycho," she refused to take showers as well. Hitchcock's reply? "Send her to the dry cleaners."

Although popular with most audiences, "Psycho" was reviled by ophthalmologists. Eye doctors everywhere pointed out that a corpse's pupil dilate, yet - in a stark close-up of her face after her supposedly deadly shower - Janet Leigh's eyes remain contracted. Ever the obsessed technician, Hitchcock listened, using dilating eyedrops for stiffs in all future films.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know!! So, for Cyn, Bobbie, Annette and Laura:
    {{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}

Thanks again for playing. Come back next week to see where my mind has wandered!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars. Great question, but it was the clues that gave it to me!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I recently watched Psycho on TV as hadn't seen it in years. Amazing how much I had forgotten. I thought the early shot of the house was dark and spooky.

No phobia about showers but after reading Stephen King, toilets are another matter--have to turn the light on at night, just in case.
    ;-)

Thanks for the stars.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just cannot do Stephen King - he is way too scary. Stand by Me about did me in. I remember thinking that Psycho was campy - must have been my age, as I would have seen it later!! Does anyone remember a movie called 'Games', with Simone Signoury?? Serious scary - my bff and I used to watch the all night scary shows when we were tweens having stay-overs at my house!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the fun and the stars :)

I"m not afraid to take a shower. I'm afraid to swim in the ocean! Jaws is one of my top 5 fav's. Scares the poop out of me every time I watch it. and every time it's on,,,I watch it! lol

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths