Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneestauffer

For Ianna: our adoption

reneestauffer
12 years ago

I didn't want to hijack the on-topic thread. I feel a bit sheepish posting about myself, since I have mostly been a lurker for the entire 9 or 10 years I've been here!

We have two birth children, Lydia (age 9.5) and Levi (almost 6). In fact, I registered here when Lydia was a month old and I was a harried new mom, chained to a chair and nursing 24/7 :o)

Last year we added Isaiah, he was 11 months when we flew to get him in Ethiopia last February. We took both kids, along with my husband's wonderful parents. It was an amazing trip. I wish everyone could have the opportunity to visit a developing nation.

The past year has been the hardest of my life. Isaiah adjusted fantastically well, and is healthily attached. I carried a lot of guilt because it was not as easy for me to attach to him, and even though I had read all the adoption literature I could get my hands on, I didn't think that would happen to *me*. On top of adjusting to a new child, I had a crazy defiant toddler who was into everything, not a snuggly sleeping newborn, and was trying to homeschool my oldest and drag everyone around to their swim, dance, library, etc. Then I got Mono, two months after coming home! We were expanding our dairy farm and my husband was working ALL the time, so I was, in effect, a single parent.

Enough griping. I am so happy to say, 14 months later, we've hit our new normal, we've all adjusted, and we're a family. And thanks to the miracle that is Zoloft, I am once again loving my life. I wouldn't change it for anything, even if we have reached a new level of crazy!

This was our first meeting:
{{gwi:600606}}From ethiopia1

This is one year after bringing him home:
{{gwi:600608}}From Apr 25, 2011

This is just the other day (he's ticked because I told him to get down off the ladder):
{{gwi:600609}}From Apr 25, 2011

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm