Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Dear Cottagers,

I think that perhaps we have turned the corner here in the Mid-Atlantic region. Although it is chilly this mroning, it is not REALLY cold as it has been. The sun is out and the birds are singing. Delightful. I may even toddle over to the nursery closest to us to take a peek at what they have. Of course, I wonder how much of their stock may have been damaged by the below-freezing temps last week.

So, for today, a cinema-realated question in honor of Roger Ebert who died this week. I always enjoyed his reviews. Here goes. We all know Steven Spielberg to be an exceptional film maker. He changed the film industry in several extraordinary ways, however, back in 1975 with the release of Jaws. How did the film industry change following its release?

Cynthia

Comments (27)

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm glad you're getting actual spring now, Cynthia. We are minutes away from getting more snow that I can see on the radar over Lake Michigan. At least it is supposed to turn to rain later today. Maybe we'll end up with a net loss in snow by tomorrow. Everything is still white here and cabin fever is rampant.

I'll have to think about Jaws. All I can think of is that big mechanical shark, but I don't see how that changed anything substantial in the movie biz.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Morning All! It is a sunny morning here, though only 5C. We sort of went backwards this week, but robins abound, and I have heard a loon the last couple of mornings!!

Sad about Roger Ebert - he was young, really. I remember going to see Jaws at the Drive in with a girlfriend and her little brother. We all sat in the front seat, and boy, did we jump when the shark first appeared!! A far as innovation, nothing is coming to mind. May need a clue or three!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Slowly warming here in Mn, temps at least in the 40s with 50 maybe in sight one day next week. Most of the snow is gone, melted with our one day of 56. Think we may miss spring and go right to summer.

I am of two minds here. One having to do with the release and the other with a filming technique.

Off to dinner with friends. Will check in later.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Hello all,
    A crisp cold day here. Rumor has it, it's going to be in the 60's this week! joy joy joy!
    My roof is down to it's last section of being ripped off. The rest is finished, so here comes the home stretch :) Next is the siding.
    Hopefully it wont be as loud as the roof is. I'm so grateful and happy, but the noises puts me a tad on edge!!!

I love the movie Jaws. It absolutely fascinates me. I felt so "helpless" just watching it. lol

:) Laura

This post was edited by auntyara on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 12:34

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I need clues on this one, I'll be back later.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like we are in for Spring weather. I just checked the 7-day forecast here and starting tomorrow, daytime temps are in the 70s and nighttime ones are in the 50s until next weekend when the night temperature is predicted to go back down into the 40s. The past few years, we have leaped right from winter into summer weather it seems, so it will be nice to go back to the gradual rollout of warm weather as in the olden days when I was a kid. Seems we had weeks on end of wonderful, temperate weather in the 1950s-or perhaps I am just remembering it that way and we always had a fairly sudden change in seasons. No matter, I will take it anyway it comes. I hope the snow melts quickly for you, TM, and anyone else still looking out on a scene of white. I am eager for you to get your cutting garden started, so we can enjoy your pictures again!

Bobbie, not thinking of a filming technique.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I hate sharks!

Here is a link that might be useful: that's not snowflake

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yara, that is probably due to the movie! :) We used to swim in the ocean and the bay at night all the time. After seeing that opening scene, I have NEVER swum in the water at night! Silly I know, but I just can't. Even your little clip made me jump and I knew what was coming! ha.

Remember the scene where Robert Shaw as Quint is relating the story of the Indianapolis at night. I adored Robert Shaw. That scene definitely created a mood, didn't it? Did you know he wrote his monologue himself?

Nancy, you must be younger than I. I don't think drive-ins got first releases, did they? If so, then maybe Spielberg changed more than I thought! ;)

Chuck is outside cleaning the gutters. Makes me nuts. I have offered to hold the ladder, but he would rather do it himself-it looks very unstable. So I am sitting here where I can see him in case he falls-ack. He is also tramping in the garden as he drags the hose back and forth. *sigh* Oh well, the clean gutters will offer a wide release of water throughout the garden rather than just a trickle here and there, so guess it is okay.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Hey! Did I just detect a clue? Wide release? Not too sure what it means, but I think it means something.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...yes - I was at first thinking of CGI, but now timing has me off in another direction!! Up here, once upon a time, they did get some of the first releases, but that is a very long time ago. lol.

Nancy.

11 years ago

Trailers???

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds as though folks are picking of on at least two of the three changes Spielberg introduced. Annette, could you be more specific? Give me a narrower view perhaps?

Cynthia

11 years ago

Previews of upcoming movies?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where were those trailers/ads shown, Annette?

Here's another question for you. Do any of you subscribe to Netflix? I gave Chuck a subscription two years ago and we have never used it! I can't figure out how to do it. Life was much easier when we could head to the video store. All the Blockbusters around here have closed as has our local place where Chuck bought a lifetime membership. We still laugh about that! BTW, video is not a clue.

I hope I can get motivated to get the yard (or at least part of it) in decent shape before the arrival of summer. I did call one of our tree companies about the dead tree and the leaning tree. I may actually have to wait until summer, so they can see the hostas all around them.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmmm....again. Well, trailers I remember from the 60's - who remembers Village of the Damned trailers on the Elvis movie?? Or maybe it was different here in Canada.....

I am thinking of timing and range.......warm or cold??

Nancy,

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Warm!
    Annette is close to the third piece of the puzzle. TM and Bobbie are in hunt as well. Not sure about you, Laura. :)

So, the clues are dribbling out bit by bit. It would be easier for you if I gave them to you all all at once, wouldn't it? Not going to happen.

Time for bed and an early start on the Sunday crossword. I was watching a movie on TNT this evening, but they break in with commercials every three minutes, it seems, so I give up.

So, you will get the answers tomorrow just in time for what will seem like the first day of this new season after all our cold weather.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Not technique, so I think it must be timing, opening throughout the country at the same time for a summer blockbuster.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

OK, so it was one of the first to have commercials shown in advance?? Stab in the dark!! Or a jaunt into the cold field again!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Back in the old days here in northern Michigan far from big cities, we used to get new movies months after being shown everywhere else. At some point in time I realized that we were getting them at about the same time as in the cities. I thought maybe we had just become more modern and cosmopolitan, but maybe the movie studios decided to print vastly more copies and saturate the country. Was this a new technique with Jaws?

TM

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Good morning all,
    so glad I didn't miss all the fun. I had company show up, and spent the day out side burning brush and drinking a few buds.
    and now my computers acting squirrely lol
    In the movie Bruce has his own music. Even if he's not on screen you know he's there. That for me is very frightening. Unseen danger..
    Also the way the film is shot a water level scares me into thinking I'm in the water. Did you know the human brain can't tell the difference from real or fake. That's what causes you to jump at the scary parts. Your brain thinks your body is in danger.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, four stars...ummm...for all of you again, mostly as a team this time!

"Jaws" was credited with establishing the benefits of a wide national (international, too since Canada was included!) release backed by heavy television advertising. On June 20, 1975 the movie opened across North America on 464 screens (409 in the US and the rest in Canada). Coupled with the national television marketing, this was a release method virtually unheard of at that time. "Jaws" opened with a $7 million weekend and recouped its production costs in two weeks. Roger Ebert said it was "a sensationally effective action picture, a scary thriller that works all the better because it is populated with characters that have been developed into human beings."

"Jaws" also broke new ground by establishing summer as a time for studios to release their hoped-for blockbusters. Before this, most were released in the winter and summer was when they released the films they expected to be poor performers at the box office.

Reduced beach attendance in 1975 was attributed to the film! Also, it is blamed for reinforcing negative stereotypes of sharks. All I know is that I will never swim in the ocean at night again. :)

Have a splendid, shark-free Sunday everyone and thanks for playing. Today, I hope to take a page from Laura's book and get out in the yard to do so e clean-up. No burning allowed here though. Too bad.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wish I could do these all in one message for you!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the last. Have a fun day everyone.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ha ha! Thanks for the continued fun, Cynthia.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the sharks! After seeing Jaws I cringe at the idea of going into the oceans. Wading close to the shoreline even makes me nervous but I do it. I don't even like flying over an ocean, what if the plane should crash into the sea?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Great question - great sharks too!!

Nancy.

Sponsored