Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 8:26

Happy weekend again, dear cottagers. We haven't had a brain-teaser puzzle here for a long time, so prepare to be teased.

Here are five words: What would the sixth word in the series be?

Bugles
Unrest
Grotto
Letter
Esteem

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

does it have thunder?

o

Does anyone remember the TV Show 'My little Margie'?

Annette

o

Brain flummoxed. reading clues and yes, I do remember "My Little Margie", but not well enough unless it has to do with the star's name. Still, haven't firgured out how the word connects....will concentrate harder! :)

o

Cyn, your getting warmer :).

Annette

o

Wo, that takes me back. I'll bet no one knows that her real name was Josephine Owaissa Cottle. I just looked it up.

I knew that I was making a mistake by printing the word list vertically.

o

The only connection I can see has to do with the last letters, but not sure how that makes those particular words connect to each other. Hmmm, Annette, I suspect I am stumped.

Yo, Nancy....where are your clues? Between the two of you, I might get this.

Cynthia

o

I think I got it from last two clues, referring to the last but the first has to do with a mighty wind.

I don't remember the actress but am familiar with the name and did not know the connection between the first and last.

o

I looked at this this am, and walked away scratching my head. Even with the clues, I see no flow - the last 2 letters tell me nothing!!

Ha!!! just reread everything - got it!!! Vertically, indeed!!! Have another look Cyn. Thunder and lightening, for sure.

Nancy.

o

I guess the time I've spent playing Mahjong isn't a total waste :). What I think it is popped out as soon as I looked at today's puzzle. Yep, you should have mixed them up TM, I'd still be scratching my head.

Annette

o

I'm pretty sure that most of you have figured this out.

Bugles
Unrest
Grotto
Letter
Esteem
Storm

Now you can read downward and get the same six words as if you read across. But then, you knew that, didn't you?

for Jim, Annette, Bobbie, and Nancy. Not this time, huh Cynthia?

Good My Little Margie clue, Annette. I hadn't thought of Gale Storm in years.

TM

o

Mmmmmm, maybe I didn't get it quite right after all, I added an 's' making it storms.

Annette

o

Darn, should have written them vertically! I think adding the 's' makes it even better-six letters in all words and continues the pattern down for the last letters! Very cool. Now on to today's trivia!

Cynthia

o

I agree! Storms is a great answer. I was thinking only of making a new word with the letters that were already in the original five words.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here