Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning!! The snow and ice from Friday's storm have melted - looks like we're going to have a nice day. Hope you have the same.

Well, no preamble, I'll give you bits and pieces as we go through the day. What is the name of the world's tallest mountain? One would think this was easy, and maybe it is?? I'll be back with hints and clues, if you smart guys need them.

Nancy.

Comments (29)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Well, I think I know this. It does seem easy, but maybe there is some common misconception at play and I am wrong.

Off to tackle the mountain of laundry(winter stuff that needs to be washed and put away-yippee). Too bad I don't have a sherpa to help me conquer it.
    Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I think I know this one too, did we not have something mentioning this in trivia before? The name popped into my crystal ball immediately without having to wait for the fog to lift and it's not Mt. Everest.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aaahhh, Annette, you have caught the first misconception!! That is the tallest, above sea-level! I am looking for the tallest, from base to peak....Many islands are, in fact, mountains, and like icebergs, much of their height is below the ocean!! Hmmmm......

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yeah, I thought of that as I was sorting laundry. I knew if you meant one that is under sea, I would be out of luck. So, we are looking for an island? Perhaps a relatively new one?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New in the broad scheme of things - think of places that are making new land almost every day...

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I knew this at one time but now the name escapes me. My filing system doesn't work as well as it once did. Will try to shake the info loose with help from clues. None of the movies I have taped include mountain info.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I am thinking of one that is quite the tourist draw. The lava flow is continual. I can remember the first part of the name for sure, if I am thinking of the right one, but I have a feeling I have the second part wrong in my head. I think I am thinking of a brand of nuts. Haha. Oh well.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, just to put things in perspective: Everest is the tallest, measured from sea-level; 5th tallest measured from the earth's core, and half the total height of the tallest, the one which we seek.

Tibetans had called Everest "Chomolungma" for centuries. It is named for Sir George Everest. Our mountain is White Mountain, in the local tongue, as it is snow-capped, which seems odd for its location - oh, did I mention it is on American soil? Hmmmm, indeed. Am I helping?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

*sigh, moan* Well, the nuts I am thinking of are white, too. :)

I will ask Chuck when he gets home. If it is the place I am thinking of, his first wife grew up there. Sadly, that precludes any vacations there since, well, never mind...;)

Cynthia

11 years ago

Think tropical breezes, palm trees and hula dancers, am I right Nancy?

• thinman
    11 years ago

This is a good stumper, at least for me, or at least so far.

I think I know the first name of this mountain --- is it Mount ?
    Ha ha.

TM

• thinman
    11 years ago

Or is it Mona?
    Ha.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, we are getting warm!! lol. Mount, Mona or ??? It has not erupted in over 4000 years, but a neighbour is very hot-headed!! Oddly too, it has seen glacial action!!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

I have an Echeveria named after the hot headed one, for some reason it has decided to stretch don't know what's up with it, it's getting enough light/sun.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:600841}}
    Is this it, Annette?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ack. I am thinking of the wrong one. I was thinking Mauna Loa. Oh well, don't know the name of this one. I was ignoring the part about snow. :(

11 years ago

Here's mine in the back, 3 weeks ago it was a nice compact plant :(.

11 years ago

Yes Nancy that's it but the one in your picture has more caruncles/carbuncles :) than mine, mine is showing it's winter color.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette - maybe it is a flower spike? My hen and chicks do that, well, used to, when they bloomed!!

Cyn - so close!!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Is there a parrot with this name (not the mona part).

TM

11 years ago

Nancy we'll have to wait and see if this particular Echeveria does this when it's going to flower, the one front left has a flowering stem on it which is what I'm used to seeing when they flower, Mauna Loa is the name of my Echeveria, Mauna Kea I believe is the answer you're looking for.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks, Annette, for showing me that it's Mauna, not Mona like I wrote.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol. What a clever bunch you are!! This was another desperation question and it tickled my fancy, cause I really didn't know this. I was fortunate enough many years ago to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, and see Kilauea from the water, at night, erupting. It smelled, to me, the daughter of a trainman, like an old steam engine. Others describe fire and brimstone. If I ever get my pictures reorganized, I'll share a photo. I only ever had a 200mm zoom, and you didn't get too close, btw. The best were the ones the ships' photographers sold, which probably used a 600mm zoom - I probably couldn't hoist one of those. We went to Volcanoes National Park, but I was young enough not to be too impressed - go figure. The orchids were more my thing.

Here is the island, showing the volcanoes.
    {{gwi:600845}}
    {{gwi:600849}}
    So many different ways to measure things, I thought this might tickle all of you as well. Mauna Kea is only about 1 million years old, so young in the scheme of things. By comparison, the Himalayas were formed about 65 million year ago, according to wiki.answers.

btw, here is TM's parrot:
    {{gwi:600852}}
    Very cool.

So, for Thin Man, Annette, Cyn and Bobbie(?):

Thanks for playing - this one was actually fun for me, finding all this info!! See you all next week.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

No stars for me. Though I knew it was an island I did not remember the name. Thanks for the question.

11 years ago

Thanks for the stars Nancy, I actually knew this one. As to my stretched
    echinacea I found out it has a terminal flower stem, it's going to bloom and then apparently croak so I'll try and start some new plants from a couple of the leaves.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the fun and the stars, Nancy. As usual, without all the good hints from all of you I would have been nowhere with this.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

No stars for me really. Well, maybe half since I got mauna right.

Thanks for the fun. Now, how to work this into casual conversation. ;). I will sound so smart.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Heck. I just asked Chuck and he came up with it without any hesitation! Should have asked him yesterday! Interesting personal trivia-his ex was a Miss Hawaii. Now, if that doesn't make me feel inferior, don't know what would! Haha. Oh well.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Cyn, you got the MRS, she got the EX!! lol.

Annette, the echeveria I put in was was Kilauea - probably why they don't look the same!!

Nancy.

Sponsored