Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Saturday

thinman
13 years ago

Good morning and happy weekend, dear cottagers. Last weekend I wished you all nice weather like we were having, but today you wouldn't want it. Big wind, rain, and a little snow. The dang wind blew all the plastic off my hoophouse last night - not a welcome sight this morning. It happened last fall and luckily, I was able to re-use the plastic. I hope I can do that again this time - I haven't gone out to inspect it yet.

Moving from the non-trivial to the trivial, a tower recently built in Brazil took the world's height record away from China. It was 31.2 m (102.3 feet) high. That may not sound all that high to you, and it isn't really, so why is it a world record?

You all are so darned smart I'm not giving any further hints. Maybe later.

ThinMan

Comments (13)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, have not heard of this. Must have been built with something unexpected. I have a thought, but will wait to see if others have clues. A wonderful Edna St. Vincent Millay couplet comes to mind (first line is "Safe upon the solid rock, the ugly houses stand")-gee, I hope I am right. It would be very cool!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Way to go kids. Very impressive.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Annette, your response makes me think I am right. I will wait, though, to post the second line, just in case anyone else decides to play today.

Cool and rainy outside. First day of spring break-plan to get the house in order, so I can get outside most days! Of course, the dogs keep wanting to go out and then they come in all wet and muddy. Charming. One step forward (in cleaning), two steps back-ugh.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cynthia - our dog, who is usually a whirling dervish is being a big red couch potato today. The weather is kind of nasty, but it doesn't usually slow her down too much. She got three vaccinations yesterday, and I'm wondering if she's feeling logy from them.

Also ... the tower isn't made of anything that rhymes with stand. :(

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Huh, now I am really confused. I was thinking on a mountain, or free-standing, but the CN Tower is higher than that....I wonder if it is what this tower does that makes it special?

Nancy - it is cold and rainy here, and I am sick. Flu - why can't people keep it to themselves. This is the first year in ages that I haven't had a flu shot. Rats.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry you have the flu, Nancy. Being sick is just the pits. I hope it's a light case and you get better fast.

About the tower, you want to be thinking like Cynthia was - in terms of what it was made of. Thinking of Sao Paolo, Brazil, where the tower was built, could the tower have been climbed and used to ogle young ladies on the beach? Nope, not possible.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

It took around 500,000 of ? to build this tower.

Annette

• dawiff
    13 years ago

I am thinking maybe this tower is built out of something plastic that kids usually play with, but my husband has been known to use them to make robots. Rhymes with a brand of frozen waffle.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I am wrong-was thinking sand ("Come see my shining castle built upon the sand").

Okay, TM, wpndering if whirling dervish is a clue. Can't think of anything to go with it.

Could it be something we used to build with when we were kids-collected from summer treats once we finished them, maybe?

Nancy, so sorry you are not feeling well. I agree about people keeping it to themselves ;) I cannot tell you how many students came to school last week with fevers of 101 or more. Seriously? We were sending them home right and left. All I could think of was revenge if I end up sick during vacation! Hope you wake up tomorrow feeling much, much better.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

So just posted the above. Like the Lego idea, but since I didn't come up with it and since my brain seems hooked on summer which can't come too soon for me, I will stick with (haha) my popsicle stick idea. Probably wrong, but I like the idea.

:)
    Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I saw this reported on TV awhile back. Red, and blue and white and yellow and black and brown and green ones. Can't remember if all colors were used or only white.

Do they now make pink ones for girls? One thing I liked about the primary colors was that it wasn't a boy thing or a girl thing. Sent all the small ones to my son's (only child) house and kept some big ones for young visitors and future grandkids.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it was made of Legos. As Annette said, it took 500,000 Legos to do the job, and reportedly, 6000 people, mostly children, worked on it for five days and used a crane to help set the thing up. I don't know if they used the giant ones or the original size.

for Annette, Dawiff, and Bobbie. Smarties!

Popsicle sticks would have been good too. :)

BTW, an anagram of Lego is ogle. I was going to come back to that if another hint was needed, but didn't need to. I'll bet you all thought I was just daydreaming about bikini'd lovelies on the beach.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

So clever of you TM. Sorry I missed the clue!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz