Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Easter to All!! Hope all the ladies got their new Easter bonnets, and had a chance to show them off!! At this time in my life, the only thing I miss about going to church is the music.

Music I thought!! We haven't done music in a while, so I searched for a theme or a question. Actually, I had a terrific question lined up for you, non-musical, but couldn't find a crucial piece of my presentation, so I decided to shelve it for later!!

So, my question isn't about a single performer, or even a group. It's about a legendary club. Given the knowledge of this group, it might be treading on dangerous (easy) ground, but here goes:

This club played an important role in the careers of Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, Hoyt Axton, the Eagles, The Byrds, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt, J.D. Souther, Jackson Browne, Van Morrison, Buffalo Springfield and other prominent and successful performers, who played performances there establishing their future fame. It was frequented not only by already famous performers but also by scouts for record companies. Not only did musicians get that all important break, but Cheech & Chong and Steve Martin also had break-out gigs here. What club am I talking about?? I definitely have clues, but I'll let the music run free in your minds for a while.

Nancy - and btw, way, the only clues are in the last paragraph, lest I send you off down the wrong path.

Comments (16)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I definitely need clues on this one, even then they might not help :(. Happy Easter everyone.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

My favorite club is a 5-iron, but I'll do my best on this one. "Run free", huh?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, I am guessing it isn't The Main Point in Bryn Mawr where I used to spend some time. It was just a small coffee house, but James Taylor among others played there regularly before he became a big star. Not the Electric Factory in Philadelphia where I saw Chicago, B.B. King, John Mayall, and a few others.

Thinking of a NYC club since I am an East Coast girl...but there was also one in San Francisco. I think ours opened first, but I could be wrong. The rock legends never failed to fill these venues. I love the way your music questions take me back in time! Think I will fire up the music and do some cleaning and laundry before heading outside. Want to go to the nursery, but the vet bills from last week that TM and I discussed shut that down, I'm afraid. :(

Cynthia, who will be dancing soon

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PITA goes in for her first shots tomorrow am!! Yikes - then in two weeks she will have her little, and expensive operation. Sigh - baby is growing up!!

Go west, my friends, go west!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, darn. Thought I had it. There was a recent show on PBS that had James Taylor and Carole King reviving their performances together at a small club. Methinks of days of yore and wandering minstrels when I hear this club's name. Is that closer?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aah, yes it is!! A wandering minstrel, indeed!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On August 25, 1970, Neil Diamond introduced Elton John, who performed his first show in the United States at this club. In 1974, John Lennon and his friend, Harry Nilsson, were ejected from the club for drunkenly heckling the Smothers Brothers. Randy Newman started out at the club. Other alumni include Paramore, The Tragically Hip, Sloan, Rod Stewart, Lenny Bruce, Bette Midler, Leo Kottke, Bruce Springsteen, the Pointer Sisters, Liza Minnelli, Sheryl Crow, Karla Bonoff, Al Stewart, Sandy Denny, George Carlin, Tom Waits, Pavement, Carly Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Rickie Lee Jones, Leonard Cohen, Roberta Flack, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Paul Sykes, Donny Hathaway, Arlo Guthrie, and Darren Criss. Whew - I'da loved to have lived down the street!! A virtual who's who of the music industry. The first year it was open, Lenny Bruce was arrested there on obscenity charges. The Byrds played 'Mr. Tambourine' there for the first time! Gordon Lightfoot made his US debut here. Janis Joplin partied here the last night of her life. Quite a place.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, woohoo. Gotta love PBS!

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

I saw the same show on PBS, Cynthia, but my brain isn't working as well as yours - no club name is coming to me. Maybe if I just think some more ...

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

TM, think Renaissance ...traveling minstrel...singer/poet...lutes?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And to thine own self be true.....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I watched that same PBS show filmed at the Troubadour. Carole King has always been a favorite of ours. We bought a new turntable last year to play our old albums including King's 'Simple Things' which is playing now.

There was also a piece in the local paper about hometown singer Prince having performed there last year. While I am not a Prince fan it is impossible not to know what he is or has been doing since the local press seems fixated on him--one would think he still lives here.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:600944}}

The club was founded in 1957 by Doug Weston. It was a major center for folk music in the 1960s, and subsequently for singer-songwriters and rock. The Troubadour would also feature New Wave and punk in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and became virtually synonymous with heavy metal bands like Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses and W.A.S.P. in the 1980s. Guns N' Roses played their first show at the Troubadour, and were also "discovered" by a David Geffen A&R representative at the club. There are a variety of styles of music played at the Troubadour to the present day and it continues to be one of Hollywood's favorite and most respected places to see live music.

So there you have it! I hope that I got some music going through you head!!

For Cynthia and Bobbie:

Thanks for playing. I'm wondering if everyone is getting too busy in the garden to bother with Trivia? Please let Cyn and I know.

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Dang, I should have known that. Now that I see the answer, I know I've heard it multiple times through the years, but even with the best hints there's just no way I was going to come up with it. All that kept going through my mind was the hungry i, and that didn't sound right.

Thanks, Nancy, for the fun question and answer. I'll probably remember it for about a year or so until it fades into some mental abyss in my head.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Another fun weekend, thanks Nancy and Cyn. Alas I didn't know this one, even the hints didn't help.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Thanks for the stars. My first thought as you probably guessed was the Fillmore, but this place would have been more my style. Fun question.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week. I am ready for the weather to warm up!

Cynthia

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional