Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning dear cottagers,

I believe I can safely say that spring has arrived here. Yes, I do plan to get my fall clean-up done soon. ;)

So, for today, you need to leave dry land and go to sea. Your task is to identify a boat...a famous boat. She began life as a World War II minesweeper. She was a wooden hulled ship built in Oregon with Oregon pine and leased to Great Britain as part of the Lend-Lease program.
She was commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1943 and assigned to active duty in the Mediterranean Sea, based in Malta.

I will be back with more clues if you need them.

Cynthia

Comments (20)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Good question. I think I'm going to need a hint or two. It sure isn't the battleship Missouri.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Me too, hints please.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After the war, the boat was bought by a gentleman from Malta and renamed. He had the mail contract between Marfa on Malta and Máarr, Gozo. The island of Ogygia was mythically linked to Gozo, hence the boat's new name.

He only kept the boat for four months when he got a very attractive offer and sold her. The new owner probably celebrated the purchase with a glass of dark beer (ale? I am not a beer drinker).

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oregon pine would have been a perfect ruse for most of the mines!! Probably relatively shallow draught, too. And yet, I have no idea.

Clues please!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Hmm. Mythology is not one of my very few strong suits. Is the boat famous in its own right, or is it just the name that's famous?

Dark beer makes me think of the well-known Irish brew, but I'm not making any connection from that.

TM

9 years ago

Need more hints, there's something bumping around in my mind tho, does this concern a certain frenchman ?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Ari came to mind....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Golly, Annette, you know everything!

I am looking for the name of the boat. It was leased from the Irishman for one franc per year by the Frenchman that Annette brought up. He outfitted the boat to serve his needs.

Sorry I was gone so long. I was working in the yard. A little weeding and leaf collecting. I was out from 11:30 until 3:30 and no one except me can tell I did anything. Ah well. Relaxing now. Maybe I will sing songs of enchantment.

Cynthia

9 years ago

Ughhhhh, the name is on the tip of my tongue, I've watched some of his expeditions on the tube. I'll be back....

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why not play some John Denver while you are thinking? ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

John Denver! Aye, I think I have it!

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Oh! I've got it! Pretty much figured out the Frenchman from Annette's clues and Cynthia's last posting gave me the name of the ship. Don't remember if the name of the song is the same as the ship but can hear JD singing in my head.

It is wet and cloudy from all night rains and several heavy downpours today.
    Just finished helping my young friend with her math homework, sixth grade doing area and volume of rectangular prisms, triangular prisms and cylinders.
    Think I learned those in geometry sophomore year. Last year she was just learning how to divide.

Time for a quick nap.

9 years ago

Ta Da :) I remembered it starts with a C and ends with an O.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I have steel drums in my head now!!

Nancy/

• thinman
    9 years ago

Aye, ___________, I sing to your spirit, the men who have served you so long and so well.

I've been singing this to myself for the last couple of hours.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Aye, Calypso, the places you've been to, the things you have shown us, the stories you tell.....
    The whole refrain has become an ear worm.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Somehow, any stars I could give you pale in comparison. For all of you...joy.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Aye, Calypso!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Great video. Thanks for the question. Brought back good memories of JC and JD. In 1959 I read Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki and became interested in all things about the ocean which led me to Jacques Cousteau. And as a mid-1960s teen John Denver was part of my music.

• thinman
    9 years ago

What Bobbie said - me too.

Thanks, Cynthia. Fun stuff!

TM

9 years ago

Thanks for another fun weekend guys :).

Annette

Sponsored