Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 9:20

Good morning, dear cottagers. We are having actual spring right now in northern Michigan. Finally. Yee-ha! Hope you are having it too.

Here is a vocabulary question for you. What eight letter word means a device that keeps a mechanical part from sliding off a shaft and also means a crucial person?

Will I stump you today?

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Spring here too, TM. Love it. Rain tomorrow and Monday (my days off!) but very mild.
I know this one, but would have failed the spelling bee, cause I would have made it two words. Not stumped today like I was last weekend!!

Nancy.

o

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, have to think about this one.

Annette

o

You bring up a good point, Nancy, and you aren't wrong. Sometimes this is spelled as two words. Also, it can be spelled with a y.

TM

o

Oh, yippee-glad Spring has sprung for you!

Also, yippee-I know this one! Well, I think I do. Didn't know it could be spelled with a 'y', though.

o

I have always spelled it with a 'y' - I wonder if that is another one of those Canadian/American things?? Like TV directors, Annette??

Nancy.

o

Uurrgghhhh!!! I just can't get in the groove today. I know, I know, when the answer is revealed I'm going give myself a slap on the head.

Annette

o

so I have been pondering this all day and came back hoping for a really obvious clue :)
hmm is the "Canadian thing/TV directors" a clue? If it is I still don't get it. *sigh* :(

o

Nancy, I am not sure, could be.

Annette, I think there is a clue there, although his stuff is a little creepy-did you ever watch Twin Peaks?

I am thrilled that I was able to pin it down today after my abysmal showing last weekend.

o

lol - Cyn. GL - not Cdn., but TV directors, though. Annette, your DH would know this in a heartbeat(not a clue, an out and out give)..

Nancy.

o

Like Annette, I am sure I should know this one but it escapes me tonight. I'm pretty sure I know the last part of it but can't think of the first part. I can see one in my mind. I watched all of Twin Peaks but all I remember is the dwarf and think the director's first name was... David?

Ha, ha, I just remembered and now I've got it all. I don't recognize it with the y.

Annette, think old westerns.

o

oh! haha I finally pinned it down also! :)

o

Yes, the word is linchpin or lynchpin. Modern ones have a clever circular part that snaps up or down. When it's down, it goes around the end of a shaft to hold the pin in place. I looked all over trying to find a good picture of one in use, but no luck. It's raining today or I'd run out and get a picture of one on my tractor.

for Nancy, Cynthia, Bobbie, and Greylady. Sorry, Annette. I guess it wasn't your day.

TM

o

Well you can't win them all LOL. Even with all the hints, thanks guys, I wouldn't have got it. Linchpin is a new one on me. Now on to today's trivia maybe I'll have better luck.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here