Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, another cool grey morning here!! We are having a real Spring, though. It was rainy the last couple of days, just not sure what our accumulation was...

Well, I saw a posting for a cool job the other day, I'm just not sure how qualified I am for it!! Google is looking for a doodler!! You know the Google Doodles they have on their home pages every now and then? Well, it's going to be everyday from now on apparently - at least as soon as they find someone 'qualified'. No word on salary. They are quite whimsical, and I actually enjoy the history/trivia behind them. A few weeks ago they showed a few frames of a horse...what was that all about?? No, really, that's your question. What was being accomplished there? I'll be back with clues, or maybe like me you've clicked on there, and already know the answer!!

Nancy - who is having a sad, Nici-less Sunday morning.

Comments (9)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Uurrgghhh, no, I didn't click on it so I don't have the foggiest.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

No idea. I haven't even noticed any of the doogles.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. And a tiny part of my mind was sooooo sure you would have....

{{gwi:601011}}

Well, Eadweard J. Muybridge is the guy responsible for those images, the original ones. Muybridge was an English photographer born on April 9, 1830. Born Edward James Muggeridge, he was of partial Dutch descent(how do Cyn and I do these mind melds?). As an adult in the United States, Muggeridge changed his name several times. In the 1850s in the United States, he used the surname "Muygridge". He spent much of his time in the United States where he took photos of Yosemite and San Francisco. He initially became famous for his landscape photographs that showed the awe-inspiring sprawls of the Western U.S.

In 1872, the former governor of California Leland Stanford, a businessman and race-horse owner, asked Muybridge to settle a then much-debated of question. Hmmm....what could photographs settle?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ooh, ooh, ooh. I know this now that you posted those pics. I have seen them before, but missed the Google Doodle about it! There was a huge headline about it if I remember correctly.

Just booked my flight to and home from France this summer. My only need to fly one way, though-I know I will want to stay!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I really can't tell from the pictures above but I think I might be on to it:), has it to do with all four?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Ah, yes, I am familiar with this horse in motion question (and answer).

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. No fooling you bunch. It was revolutionary at this time, and many believe he inspired Edison to create the Kinescope.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

You know, I think there must have been a movie way back that had this in it. I can see the headline so clearly that it must have been in a film. Anyway, what I remember is: Horse Flies! I hope that is right!

I am off to bed. It has been a lovely wet day-steady rain since this morning. The driveway looks like a lake (always does when we have lots of rain). I am a happy person.

Nancy, I have been thinking of you and your Nici off and on all day. Hope you are cuddled up with Lily tonight.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, I have a purring PITA on my shoulders, but Lily is coming much closer, and cuddling now. Funny how the cat dynamic is!!

Well, you all got it!! The same question had arisen about the actions of horses during a gallop. The human eye could not break down the action at the quick gaits of the trot and gallop. Up until this time, most artists painted horses at a trot with one foot always on the ground; and at a full gallop with the front legs extended forward and the hind legs extended to the rear, and all feet off the ground. Stanford sided with the assertion of "unsupported transit" in the trot and gallop, and decided to have it proven scientifically. Stanford sought out Muybridge and hired him to settle the question.
    In 1872, Muybridge settled Stanford's question with a single photographic negative showing his Standardbred trotting horse Occident airborne at the trot. This negative was lost, but the image survives through woodcuts made at the time (the technology for printed reproductions of photographs was still being developed). He later did additional studies, as well as improving his camera for quicker shutter speed. By 1878, spurred on by Stanford to expand the experiments, Muybridge had successfully photographed a horse at a trot; lantern slides have survived of this work. Stanford also wanted a study of the horse at a gallop. Muybridge planned to take a series of photos on June 19, 1878 at Stanford's Palo Alto Stock Farm. He placed numerous large glass-plate cameras in a line along the edge of the track; the shutter of each was triggered by a thread as the horse passed. The path was lined with cloth sheets to reflect as much light as possible. (In later studies he used a clockwork device to set off the shutters and capture the images.) He copied the images in the form of silhouettes onto a disc to be viewed in a machine he had invented, which he called a zoopraxiscope. This device was later regarded as an early movie projector, and the process as an intermediate stage toward motion pictures or cinematography.
    Today, similar setups of carefully timed multiple cameras are used in modern special effects photography but they have the opposite goal of capturing changing camera angles, with little or no movement of the subject. This is often dubbed "bullet time" photography.

His work has influenced the following:

Etienne-Jules Marey - recorded the first series of live action photos with a single camera by a method of chronophotography.

Thomas Eakins - American artist who worked with and continued Muybridge's motion studies, and incorporated the findings into his own artwork.

William Dickson - credited as inventor of the motion picture camera.

Thomas Edison - developed and owned patents for motion picture cameras.

Marcel Duchamp - artist, painted Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2.

Harold Eugene Edgerton - pioneered stroboscopic and high speed photography and film, producing an Oscar-winning short movie and many striking photographic sequences.

Francis Bacon - artist who made numerous paintings from photographs by Muybridge.

John Gaeta - used the principles of Muybridge's photography to create the bullet time slow-motion technique of the 1999 movie The Matrix.

Steven Pippin - so-called Young British Artist who converted a row of laundromat washing machines into sequential cameras in the style of Muybridge.

Pretty cool what a doodle can inspire. I'm kinda pumped about what I might learn next!! So, for Cyn, Annette and Bobbie:

Thanks for playing!! See you next week. Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sally Gardner at the Gallop

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County