Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, Good Saturday Morning to All!! It is grey and rainy here, so I am glad I got a few more seeds sowed yesterday.
I didn't have a great revelation for a question this week, so I hope this passes muster!! I got thinking about the Heartbeed bug that everyone was worrying about. I did change several passwords on the affected sites - no incursions that I can see, though. So here are a few questions to test your online savvy!!

1. What percentage of people leave their passwords in a will?

2. What is a White Hat Hacker?

3. What is a Script Kiddie?

4. What is a Trojan horse?

5. Give me 2 other names for a password.

Hope this gives you pause for thought. As always, I'll be back with clues.

Nancy.

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm, not very computer savvy but I know what #4 is.

Annette

10 years ago

..... and have an idea about #2 :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Fail. Total. I'm sorry Dave.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Here's a surprise - I actually know something today. I have 2, 3, and 4, and am thinking about 5. Number 1 could be almost anything, but I'll bet it isn't very high.

The snow is essentially gone here finally, with just leftover piles still left to melt. It isn't going anywhere very fast today with temps only in the high 30s right now. Still, I will get out and do cleanup work in the gardens today. Hope you all have better weather.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sorry, I have an idea about the Trojan Horse but don't know the others.j

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM - you are our Ubergeek! Very cool, and you are quite right about #1. There has been quite a controversy about Facebook pages after death. I know that the Facebook page of the cousin I lost last year is still there, and I do find comfort in seeing her there - weird, I know.

On another note - we are still loving our high def. PVR and all the movies we can watch on it. Tonight I think we will go with a Western - I love it when the good guys ride in and save the day!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sigh. Me and computers/internet. The follwing about sums it up. I will read and listen, but no stars for me. I could make decent guesses probably, but...

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
    HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
    Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
    HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
    Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
    HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
    Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
    HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
    Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
    HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
    Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
    HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A Script Kiddie is interesting, and probably the only way I could ever hack anything - I like being given instructions!

Nancy.

10 years ago

OK here's what I think, as I said I'm not computer savvy.

#1 I haven't a clue
    #2 White Hat, one of the good guys, trouble shooter
    #3 ?????
    #4 Hidden virus
    #5 PIN and ?????

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Way to go Annette - you are like 100,000 out of a million!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

2. White hat hacker, one who hacks for good purposes such as finding security flaws for a company's own software/product
    4. Trojan Horse, a hidden virus that infects a computer through downloads and runs malicious software
    5. PIN and code,

• thinman
    10 years ago

1. I'll guess 5 %.
    2. One of the good guys. Hacks systems to find weaknesses so security can be increased.
    3. A wannabe hacker who doesn't have the skills. He uses programs written by others to do his mischief.
    4. A program that appears harmless, but when run installs malicious code.
    5. PIN sounds good to me. I can't really think of another one.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well there, you see - we all know a little!!

1. According to a survey by the University of London, one in ten people are now leaving their passwords in their wills to pass on this important information when they die. One third of people, according to the poll, agree that their password protected data is important enough to pass on in their will.

2. The term "white hat" in Internet slang refers to an ethical computer hacker, or a computer security expert, who specializes in penetration testing and in other testing methodologies to ensure the security of an organization's information systems. Ethical hacking is a term coined by IBM meant to imply a broader category than just penetration testing. White-hat hackers may also work in teams called "sneakers", red teams, or tiger teams.

3. In hacker culture a script kiddie or skiddie, (also known as skid, script bunny, script kitty), is an unskilled individual who uses scripts or programs developed by others to attack computer systems and networks, and deface websites. It is generally assumed that script kiddies are juveniles who lack the ability to write sophisticated hacking programs or exploits on their own, and that their objective is to try to impress their friends or gain credit in computer-enthusiast communities. The term is typically intended as an insult.

4. A Trojan horse, or Trojan, in computing is a non-self-replicating type of malware program containing malicious code that, when executed, carries out actions determined by the nature of the Trojan, typically causing loss or theft of data, and possible system harm. The term is derived from the story of the wooden horse used to trick defenders of Troy into taking concealed warriors into their city in ancient Anatolia, because computer Trojans often employ a form of social engineering, presenting themselves as routine, useful, or interesting in order to persuade victims to install them on their computers.
    A Trojan often acts as a backdoor, contacting a controller which can then have unauthorized access to the affected computer. The Trojan and backdoors are not themselves easily detectable, but if they carry out significant computing or communications activity may cause the computer to run noticeably slowly. Malicious programs are classified as Trojans if they do not attempt to inject themselves into other files (computer virus) or otherwise propagate themselves (worm). A computer may host a Trojan via a malicious program a user is duped into executing (often an e-mail attachment disguised to be unsuspicious, e.g., a routine form to be filled in) or by drive-by download.

5. A password is a word or string of characters used for user authentication to prove identity or access approval to gain access to a resource (example: an access code is a type of password), which should be kept secret from those not allowed access.
    The use of passwords is known to be ancient. Sentries would challenge those wishing to enter an area or approaching it to supply a password or watchword, and would only allow a person or group to pass if they knew the password. The term passcode is sometimes used when the secret information is purely numeric, such as the personal identification number (PIN) commonly used for ATM access. Passwords are generally short enough to be easily memorized and typed.

Just because I know that you are dying to know: In 2013, Google released a list of the most common password types, all of which are considered insecure because they are too easy to guess (especially after researching an individual on social media):
    The name of a pet, child, family member, or significant other
    Anniversary dates and birthdays
    Birthplace
    Name of a favorite holiday
    Something related to a favorite sports team
    The word "password"

So, for TM, 4 out of 5:
    {{gwi:598938}}

For Annette and Bobbie, 3 out of 5:
    {{gwi:599464}}

Cynthia. Cynthia, Cynthia, Cynthia! What to do about you?? {{gwi:601194}} - back to the future for you!!

Thanks to all for playing. I'll try to come up with something better next weekend!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Something better, heck! This was great. More like this, please. :-)

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars. At first I only thought I knew one but the others worked their way through my memory.

Leaving one's password in a will indicates that one does not change one's password often as recommended. I wonder if there will be a time when passwords will be unnecessary through eye recognition or fingerprint recognition or another system as frequently changing passwords are difficult to remember.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was great. Really. Love your awards for us. I always feel smarter after I read your answers. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are too kind. The internet is something that people of a certain age think they don't know about, but really all the terms or at least most of them come from common sources.

Bobbie - I have some passwords and passcodes that are completely random - I would have to give them up or put them on a compromised site to have them discovered. I have different pws for 'fun' sites, business sites and accounts that relate to personal finances. Those last ones change every couple of years. The business ones seem to change every month. As for the fun sites, not that I want my facebook page hacked, but I really don't care - I don't use it for signons to anything else.

Thanks for the kind words - see you next week.

Nancy.

Sponsored