Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 10:33

It is a beautiful sunny morning here. Spring may have returned. There is a bit of cloud up there, but the forecast says no rain, so laundry on the line it is!!

I can't remember how or why this occurred to me this week - it will no doubt come to me through the day - but I got thinking about band names. Some of the most famous bands have had different names, in the beginning, then changed them and became famous. If I said the Pendletones, for example, Cynthia would know it was the old name of the Beach Boys. A Pendleton was a type of shirt that they favoured. So, here are two lists for you to match up:

Former:

The Detours
The Hawks
The Blue Boys
Johnny & the Moondogs
The MB Five
The Golliwogs
The Psychedelic Rangers
Folkfest
The Primettes
Chad Allen and the Reflections

And Famous:
ABBA
The Band
Credence Clearwater Revival
The Doors
The Who
The Rolling Stones
The Moody Blues
The Beatles
The Guess Who
The Supremes

There - this should be fun - and I will provide musical clues throughout the day!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Call Me Lightning

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Fun question Nancy, I know about half of them, the rest I need clues, later.

Annette

o

ABBA has an interesting history. All had been in the music business separately. An attempt at combining their talents occurred in April 1970 when the two couples went on holiday together to the island of Cyprus. What started as singing for fun on the beach ended up as an improvised live performance in front of the United Nations soldiers stationed on the island. They entered Eurovision in 1974, which is a festival to chose which is the best musical act in Europe and it launched their careers.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABBA at Eurovision

o

Thanks Nancy, ABBA was one I was puzzling over. I now have a guess for this one :).

Annette

o

Hmmm. Can't say I know even one of these.

TM

o

According to the Who biographers, the name they had was also the name of a popular band at the time and they had taken it first. They spent a night throwing names out to each other. Roger Daltrey was the leader of the band, and every time someone tossed a name out, he would say, "The who?" Next morning he came down and said, well that's it, isn't it? The Who. And so they were dubbed with not too many wrong turns.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock and Roll Music - the Beatles

o

I do not know any of the bands' previous names. Thought I might recognize The Beetles as had seen a documentary about them recently but none of the names is familiar.

The song clues will not play on my IPad so will have to listen to them later.

o

Oh Bobbie - that's too bad!! The music is to help with the clues. :(
Ronnie Hawkins was an American who made it big in Canada with his Rockabilly sound. His band ended up recording with Bob Dylan for a while. Hmmmmmm....

Here's an old CCR hit, a song about the swamps.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Born on the Bayou

o

Here's what I have so far, right or wrong here goes...

ABBA...Folkfest
The Who...The Detours
The Rolling Stones...The Blue Boys
The Moody Blues...The MB Five
The Beatles...Johnny and the Moondogs
The Supremes...The Primettes

I'll come back and add to this list later if I come up with anything.

Annette

o

Oh Annette - you are pitch perfect!!

I would think you would remember Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins, or maybe that was an Ontario thing - even though he was from Arkansas. He wasn't part of the psychedelic generation, like the Moody Blues and the Doors. More kinda grass roots R&B.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riders on the Storm

o

To add to Annette's...

Psychedelic Rangers became The Doors (I mean really, can you imagine anything else? Ha)

Golliwogs became CCR (sounds like polliwog which you might see down on the bayou)

The Hawks became The Band-think I heard that one before.

That's all I got. Such a great question! Man, I have nothing for tomorrow. Well, one idea, but I have done something similar before. Have been doing school work for the past two days. Ugh. Did manage to work outside for a short bit and hope to do more outside tomorrow.

Cynthia

o

So that leaves Chad Allen and the Reflections, if I got mine right and Cyn got her's right it has to be The Guess Who :).

Annette

o

Well, actually, that means the Guess Who must have been Chad Allen and the Reflections since that is the only one left. Whew.

Good thing Annette is so smart.

Cynthia

o

No stars for me as I know none of the answers. Annette and Cynthia are so smart!

Happy Easter all.

o

Not me, Bobbie, I only really knew two and CCR was a guess which just left Guess Who by process of elimination.

You are up early (late?)!

Cynthia

o

I'm not that smart either, I did know three for sure, two were pretty good guesses and I got ABBA from Nancy's clue, the last one, a process of elimination :).

Annette

o

Well, there you have it!! The Beatles went through quite a few names - the Silver Beetles, on honour of Buddy Holly and the Crickets; the Quarrymen - dead give away I thought.
The Rolling Stones didn't have as many names - just the Blue Boys then the Rolling Stones.
The Band has an interesting history - they toured with Ronnie Hawkins from 1958 to 1963. When Hawkins stopped touring, they continued as Levon and the Hawks and the Canadian Squires, among other names. Bob Dylan hired them for his U.S. tour in 1965 and world tour in 1966. Following the 1966 tour, the group moved with Dylan to Saugerties, New York, where they made the informal 1967 recordings that became The Basement Tapes, which forged the basis for their 1968 debut album Music from Big Pink. Because they were always "the band" to various frontmen, Helm said the name "The Band" worked well when the group came into its own.
The Moody Blues were just looking for some backing when the 1st incarnation called themselves the M&B Five, to try to get gigs at the M&B Brewery. Failing that they morphed the name, using Mood Indigo, which was popular at the time.
Creedence Clearwater Revival were originally called the Blue Velvets. A manager renamed the group the Golliwogs (after the children's literary character, Golliwogg), apparently because a wave of popular British bands had similar names.
The Psychedelic Rangers name was pretty short lived. the Doors took their name from the title of Aldous Huxley's book The Doors of Perception.
The Guess Who went through a few incarnations: formed by singer/guitarist Chad Allan in 1958 and initially called Al and the Silvertones. This was changed to Chad Allan & the Reflections, then Chad Allan & the Expressions after a U.S. group called The Reflections had scored a hit with "Just Like Romeo & Juliet". In an attempt to build a mystique around the record, Quality Records credited a single only to "Guess Who?". Disc jockeys still announced the group as Guess Who?, effectively forcing the band to rename themselves.

So there you have it! Annette, 4 stars to you, and Cynthia, 2 stars seems right. Thanks to all of you for playing, and have a blessed Easter Everyone.

See you all next week. Nancy.

o

Thanks for the trivia question and answer, Nancy. As you can tell from this and previous music trivia, I am a casual music fan. Enjoy listening and singing along but don't pay too much attention to details. I learn a lot from the music trivia questions and listening to the music links.

Yes, Cynthia, I am a night owl and am frequently up in the wee hours. Need to start going to bed earlier now that the weather is nicer and I can be outside mornings working in the yard and gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here