Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! It's shirtsleeve weather here, sunny without a cloud in the sky. You know what that means - laundry on the line. Woo-hoo.
It means something else for most people, and it was wafting on the breeze last evening - barbecue!!! I went out yesterday and bought one - assembly was fun!! Not. Oh well, it is sturdy and there weren't too many spare pieces. We initiated with good old T-bone steak with hasselback potatoes. Yum.

So of course this gets me thinking - where did the word barbecue come from? Kind of a funny name. Europeans didn't do it, that I know of.....where and with whom did this type of cooking originate? This should be fun!! I'll be back with delicious clues later.

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Heading out for adventure with our niece. Kind of a late lazy start. Will check in later!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, don't really know how I did that -I was reading Cynthia's post about tomorrow and clicked up top to Post my question. I guess I was less awake than I thought.

Barbecue (also barbeque, BBQ and barbie) is a cooking method and apparatus. In the United States, to grill is to cook meat relatively quickly using the direct heat imparted by a charcoal or propane fire, while barbecue is similar to baking and is a much slower method utilizing the indirect heat imparted by the smoke of a wood-fueled fire, often requiring an extended period of several hours. In Canada we call grilling Barbecue. I have only recently been introduced to the Southern style of slow-smoking meats - yum!! One of my favourite cooking shows is Chef Michael from PEI. He did a show on steak, showing different ways to achieve the perfect medium rare offering. His last method was on a Big Green Egg. This is the brand name of a kamado-style ceramic charcoal barbecue cooker that originated in southern Japan. It can be used to slow roast or quick grill. Southerners, eh? I was ready to go whole hog till I saw the price!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I will be waiting for clues.

Cloudy but still warm here. Think I will work in the garden today cutting back grasses and lifting mulch. Temps have been in the 60Fs but heading back down to the 40s for highs next week which is seasonal for us.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I was thinking about this while out in the garden weeding, Africa, Asia, Caribbean, any of these close?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate - sorry.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 17:49

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Annette - yes, one is bang on!! Where it is from is not a place I associate with Barbecue!! The word translates as "sacred fire pit". The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks.
    Traditional barbacoa involves digging a hole in the ground and placing some meat (usually a whole goat) with a pot underneath it, so that the juices can make a hearty broth. It is then covered with maguey leaves and coal and set alight. The cooking process takes a few hours.

Hmmm....

10 years ago

Hmmm, barbacoa, I think I've got my answer, later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette, you get clues where i think there are none - I thought you'd go with maguey leaves!! lol.
    While the standard modern English spelling of the word is barbecue, local variations like barbeque and truncations such as bar-b-q or bbq may also be found. The spelling barbeque is given in Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary as a variant.
    In the southeastern United States, the word barbecue is used predominantly as a noun referring to roast pork, while in the southwestern states cuts of beef are often cooked. Or maybe alligator. Not sure about that - maybe it tastes like chicken?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I was thinking Caribbean.

Cynthia

10 years ago

Yep! I think it's Caribbean too.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

That was my first thought as well. And I think of goats as food animals in the Caribbean.

I worked outside with a break for dinner then back outside until dark. Got all the grasses cut back and most of the beds cleaned. Not much left to do except wait for spring blossoms.

I saw the cherry blossoms in D.C. on TV. Looks very beautiful.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I am stiff and sore!! Got the back yard raked, not that it is that large, but it is my first big job of the year. Two loads of laundry dried and away - so happy. Now it is raining, so I do wish I gotten some seeds scattered - maybe tomorrow.

Well, you all guessed (or knew?) correctly. Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives from the word barabicu found in the language of the Taíno people of the Caribbean and the Timucua of Florida, and entered European languages in the form barbacoa. It has been suggested that both the word and cooking technique migrated out of the Caribbean and into other languages and cultures, with the word (barbacoa) moving from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then Portuguese, French, and English. The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language as a verb in 1661, in Edmund Hickeringill's Jamaca Viewed: "Some are slain, And their flesh forthwith Barbacu'd and eat." It also appears as a verb in the published writings of John Lederer, following his travels in the American southeast in 1672. The first known use of the word as a noun was in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier. In his New Voyage Round the World, Dampier writes: And lay there all night, upon our Borbecu's, or frames of Sticks, raised about 3-foot (0.91 m) from the Ground.

When I first went to the Caribbean it was to St. Lucia. There most households cooked on a coal-pot like the picture here - no luau type feasts, certainly no alligator!! The top was a type of olla, or clay pot. We bought chunks of hardwood charcoal at the market, and actually used them to grill chicken and fish. So there you go!! the weather is so nice, maybe TM got his boat out? Perhaps he'll tell us later. So for Annette, Cynthia and Bobbie:
    {{gwi:596883}}
    Clever bunch - I'll have to try harder next week. See you then!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I was traveling yesterday and am now sitting comfortably in Seattle drinking a really good cup of coffee that my daughter brewed for me. We are going to tour the Boeing plant this afternoon - looking forward to that.

Sorry I missed the trivia, but it's just as well. I wouldn't have had a clue, as is so often the case.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the question which had me mentally salivating as I worked in the garden yesterday. No barbecue for me today as am going to a birthday party at a pizza place. Expect it is good pizza as is a second location of our favorite local pizza joint.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Annette, the first day of working in the garden had the back of my legs sore for days but thankfully yesterday's work has not caused any pain at all. Guess those muscles are stretched and ready to work now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars nancy. Not sure I deserved any as I just guessed! Fun question

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, TM - you're going to love the Boeing Museum - is it still called the Little Red Barn? Mr. Boeing was busy guy, with his finger in lots of pots!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Our factory tour was in Everett where they make the 747, 777, and 787. It was huge and impressive. The building was 98 acres, all under one roof. That's about the size of an 18 hole golf course.

We have been to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field too, where the Red Barn is, and loved that too.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Chuck would be in heaven in a museum like that!