Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Saturday

thinman
12 years ago

Good morning and happy weekend again, dear cottagers. I'm writing from Seattle today where I'm visiting for a week, and I apparently brought some sunshine with me. It's a bright beautiful day.

Here's your trivia question for today.

The Germans called it Wolfram and the Swedes gave us its modern name, combining their words for heavy and stone. It's not a stone, though, it's a metal and is very commonly found in households everywhere, although it is getting less common. It's chemical symbol comes from the word wolfram. Can you say where you would find this metal in your house?

ThinMan

Comments (16)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Mornin' TM, I'm switching the old think tank on, see what I can come up with, later.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Alas, the only Swedish I know (from grandmother who was Swedish) is good girl, bad girl, good boy, bad boy, and I speak Swedish-which I don't-ha.

DH doesn't know either, so I will wait for clues, but probably won't get it anyway. Another chance to learn something new!

12 years ago

Cyn, I didn't know either but DH thinks he knows, there's a bit of a clue in my first response.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I was a chemistry major in college so know this element. We have already switched most of these but like many I am ambivalent about using the new ones. And they don't last for years like they have been advertised. We've had to replace several after less than a year.

12 years ago

....and isn't there a bit of a health concern about the new ones?

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I went to the link in TM's initial post. The Lowe's framework was there, but the page was devoid of content. It seems the item has to do with electricity, otherwise, I am stumped. Phooey, foiled again...

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Hey Lorna - I never saw a link in TM's post....not sure, but from the clues I think I get it. The heavy stone thing confused me, but switching, new and not lasting kinda helped!! We use but little of it, so the heavy got me. I had no fear of it as a child - my teacher let us have it in our hands, but I guess now that would not be allowed!! lol. Annette, if I am right, it is my idea that it goes away quickly, when released. How'm I doing??

Nancy.

12 years ago

Nancy, I think TM is referring to what is in the one that is being replaced, that is if DH is right.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm....not sure anything bad in old ones - some of the originals still work, I have heard.

TM, don't forget to visit the underground city and the Little Red Barn - you'll love it!! My 2 fav things in Seattle.

Nancy.

12 years ago

DH thought it might be the tungsten in incandescent light bulbs.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Tungsten - well, my rudimentary German knowledge says that it works. Swedish is a germanic language. I was thinking of mercury. It is another metal being reduced in our homes. And I guess quick-silver doesn't translate. huh. I only know of tungsten as the filament in light bulbs, and as an additive to strengthen steel. Never thought of it as a toxic to humans substance - ya learn something every day!!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Tungsten is also used in other electrical products but the one most people are familiar with is the filament in an incandescent light bulb.

12 years ago

Nancy it's the new lightbulbs that there's some concern about.

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I might have a stumper today, but no such luck. Hah! Maybe next time.

You would definitely find the metal tungsten as the filament in regular incandescent light bulbs. You could also find it in cutting tools like saw blades that are carbide tipped. The carbide is actually tungsten carbide and it's very hard, though not as hard as diamond.

for Annette, Bobbie, and Nancy.

Lorna - link in my original post?

I'm hoping LEDs get enough better and cheaper soon so we can just skip the compact fluorescents altogether. We've been disappointed in the ones we've tried. As far as mercury in the fluorescents, it's kind of funny that nobody seemed to worry about the mercury in the long fluorescent tubes, but it became a big deal with the CFLs.

Bobbie - it's good to know you were a chem major. Me too. I'll have to be careful not to make my questions too easy for you. :)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

I don't think I qualify for stars - it was a gimmee from Annette!!

Interesting about CFL's, I agree. I guess Florescent tubes weren't mainstream enough in our homes. Then again, some people will cling onto anything bad about something new.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

We have two LED lamps and lots of strings of LED Christmas lights which have been great. I am hoping the new LED bulbs are good. We'll see.

Never did get back, but wouldn't have gotten any stars anyway, despite the clues that would have led me to light bulbs, but wouldn't have come up with tungsten. Good fun nonetheless. Thanks again, TM.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz