Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Pine Floors

My new home has pine strip floors - I love them. The house I grew up in had the same floors, as well as the same glass door knobs. That's the good news.

The bad news it that they have no finish left on them in the traffic areas. I went on a shopping mission today to discover what to finish them with....I was hoping for a quick wax kind of thing. Does no one carry these anymore?? Everything else I found was for floors 5 years old or newer. Huh. I don't have the time/money/energy to completely redo them. What can I do to protect and seal them? HELP!!!!

TIA, Nancy.

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Nancy, I have the same problem. Our rattan living room furniture is unsealed on the bottoms of the feet and wore the finish off the floor (which wasn't great to start with).
    I used to work in a hardware store, we sold a few products but these are absolutely not recommended to go over already finished areas of the floor. Meaning that "quick" isn't so quick because you'd have to hand rub the wax only on the unsealed areas. It could stick and ball on the varnished floor areas making it either sticky or incredibly slippery.
    The other problem with waxes is that if you ever do decide to re-finish the floors, it will be much more costly because the floors need to be stripped and sanded an extra few times and that will use many sanding belts because the wax balls on the belts.
    You can use mop and glo, but you'll need to use it fairly frequently. I have to wash my floor more after using mop 'n glo, it holds in the dirt.

Have you tried going into a more personal smaller hardware store? Do you have a Home Hardware or a Handy Hardware locally? If you do, they should have products you need, and can give you advice about the products. Trewax products are very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: home hardware floor wax options

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

When I worked I recommended Bona Products I'm not sure if you can purchase them in Canada. They have an acrylic no-wax floor product that works really well and you simply re-apply it every few months. Bona products are not inexpensive, but they are very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona floor polish

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Had a look at those, GGG. I'm glad you told me that Mop & Glo was a dirt magnet. There is virtually no finish left I did see this Rejuvenate product at Cdn Tire. It sounds good, but I'm sure the packaging there said >5 years old. Maybe it was just part of the process?

Thanks, I really don`t want to screw up.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenate

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Nancy, lucky you with the pine floors. Sorry I don't have any easy fixes, but I will mention that I noticed some floors in the colonial buildings in Williamsburg (4th grade field trip three weeks ago)seemed to have no finish at all-just old wood floors-even in the Governor's Palace. They were actually quite lovely. Not sure how they take care of them, but they looked beautiful even with all the tourists traipsing through!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They probably don't have a stinky old pussy cat to deal with - lol. He gets a lot of leeway, that puss.

Thanks.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Nancy, yep, the rejuvinate stuff is more in the line of what you need. It will need to be reapplied fairly frequently but the polymer products can be easily sanded or stripped.

Great choice!!

Sponsored