Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 23:28

It's not Saturday yet, but I'll be out of here tomorrow morning early to get on a plane and will be out of touch pretty much all day.

So here's your trivia question a little bit early.

Created in 1949 and used by the US Air Force, Sierra Sam was the first what?

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Yikes, so that means no clues!!!! aaahhhhhhh! Cyn, Annette, we need your husbands. SS, Sierra Sam. Could it have been an early form of GPS?

Gorgeous day here today. Lots of laundry to do!

Nancy.

o

Whoa, late to the party, but so, it seems, is everyone except you Nancy! Just asked DH. He has no idea. Egad. Would have thought that the former AF pilot who still subscribes to and reads Aviation Week cover to cover every week would know. Oh well.

Laughing at myself for being irritated that he didn't know-I always expect him to know everything! Can't wait to find out and tell him.

Hope everyone is having the same extraordinary weekend weather we are!

o

Late to the game, been battling some kind of tummy bug, I actually ate some supper tonight, first time I felt like eating in several days so things are looking up. For some reason I seem to think Sierra Sam was a test dummy but I either don't know or can't remember for what.

Annette

o

OK, been thinking a little more. Radar was invented early in WWII, but used only as land installations. Maybe this was the first mobile installation?

Nancy.

o

Was SS used to test ejection seats in planes, being it's an airforce thing, I can't pin down the time frame for that tho.

Annette

o

The only thing SS gives me is super-sonic - flight speed. huh. That doesn't seem right.

Nancy.

o

I'll go with Annette, a dummy used to test ejection seat safety sounds good to me...an air force crash test dummy.

o

I slept in kind of late this morning and it will take a few days to get my body back to Eastern time.

Annette nailed it, and Bobbie knew a good thing when she saw one. And with no clues! Sierra Sam is known as the first crash test dummy, though the air force reportedly used it mostly for ejection seat and parachute testing, not actual crashes.

The Sierra part of the name came from Sierra Engineering Company of Sierra Madre, California, the company that manufactured the dummy.

for Annette and Bobbie. Good job, ladies.

TM

o

Okay, NOW DH says, "If you had told me it was at Holloman (AF base), I probably would have gotten it b/c that is where they were doing all the rocket sled tests and I knew they began using dummies since they couldn't use humans anymore at the speeds they were testing." Aaarrgghh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here