Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Totally OT - Olympic Torch Relay

flora_uk
11 years ago

I'm posting here because I think that if you like cottage style you might be interested to see what we're all glued to over here at the moment. I am a real old cynic but I'm surprised at how heart warming I'm finding this. The Olympic Flame is making its way through the country at the moment and it's coming to my city today. If you are curious as to what my part of the world is looking like in May check the link. Not too easy to see the gardens but there's plenty of cottages and countryside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympic Torch relay

Comments (9)

• mytime
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting this, Flora. My mom carried the flame in the relay in Juneau, Alaska, for the Salt Lake Olympics. It was a highlight of her life.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing Flora, I really enjoyed seeing a little bit of your part of the world, your countryside is so beautiful.
    P.S. I finally have a few true english bluebells blooming :).

Annette

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you two. Everyone seems to be really having fun with this event and turning it into a bit of a holiday when it goes through their area. A spell of beautiful weather is helping. On the bits where the convoy goes between towns you get a good idea of the hawthorn hedges (May blossom) and QA lace which is everywhere at this time of year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Also enjoyed the link. Have always loved the English countryside and it should be fascinating to watch the route as it continues. This will be the first time England has hosted the Olympics, right?

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Prariemoon2 - it's actually the third time the United Kingdom has done it 1908,1948 and 2012. (Don't forget there's Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland too and the torch will be going to all those places.) Glad you're enjoying the travelogue. At the moment you're seeing the soft South - other places will look quite different.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I seem to notice every year where the Olympics are being held even if I don't watch all the coverage of the games, and I hadn't remembered seeing England and it's neighbors, but it makes sense, the last two times were before I was born!
    Well, if it's been that long, it must be pretty exciting there to have it again.

By the 'soft' South, you mean rolling hills and gardens and space vs maybe congested cities? I will enjoy watching where the Torch travels and I'm sure will be watching the Olympics this year.

Thanks again for posting this. :-)

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again prairiemoon2 - it's left England today and is going around Wales. You might notice people referring to 'this country' by which they mean Wales, not England. And you might see the bilingual road signs and hear some Welsh being spoken. In North Wales you'll see the landscape get more rugged.
    By 'soft' South I mean that the landscape in the South of the UK is gentler and the climate a bit milder.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Flora! Makes me think how nice it would be to retire somewhere in the UK!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

If only we could afford too!! lol. thanks for sharing, Flora!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor