Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia:Saturday

Another beautiful day here. We are really getting what I consider perfect spring weather these days-cool at night and in the morning, but warming up to the upper 60s and low 70s F during the day. Today, I am a woman with a mission. I am off to Whole Foods to get the fixings for dinner since we are having several neighbors over this evening. Then, if there is time, I will run to one of the local nurseries to look at their trees and shrubs. I may get drawn into their annuals and perennials as well. We had three huge trees removed this week-two dead oaks and one hickory leaning dangerously toward a neighbor's house. So sad. The trees were the reason we bought this place. We still have lots, but I am going to replace the ones we lose. The WildOne is coming over for a couple of hours as soon as I get back from my errands.

So, for today, can you tell me what bullet-proof vests, windshield wipers, fire escapes, and circular saws have in common? I have a few more items that will be added to the list as the day goes on if you need more. Clues to follow as well.

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wow, Cynthia, you're up and at 'em nice and early today. A woman with a mission indeed. Lesser mortals (men) should stand back in awe, as there's no telling what a determined woman can do.

We are having a string of beautiful spring weather here too. In fact, it sounds just like yours. I love it. Trivia-wise, I think I may have a clue about this one. We will see.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Morning all, something is coming to mind but I'll wait for clues to see if my thinking is on track.

Cyn, looks like you've got a full plate today, but you know when we gals put our minds to it :). We are actually having a spring for a change, it's been a few years since we've had such nice weather in May.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such smarties you are! It actually sounds as if you have it already!

Shall I add the apgar test for newborns, correction fluid, and disposable diapers (which my mother actually suggested to Scott Paper back in the 50s when dad and one of my uncles worked there. They did not go ahead with developing them. Too bad.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have a vague idea but need more clues.

I'm also looking for trees and shrubs to replace two large apple trees that were removed. Want one that flowers and holds onto fruit through the winter for the birds, maybe a dwarf flowering crabapple.

Snowy, rainy and cold week here, well below our normal high 60s. 70s expected all next week.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

It has been gorgeous here the last three days - low 20C's, and the leaves on the trees are exploding!! Yea Spring. I too was up early, as we had a leak under our kitchen sink. Joyce and I thought we might be able to fix it, but no go!! LL had to come over, actually her brother and his plumber friend. I wonder if something used in plumbing might be part of the answer.....

Nancy - who is listening to live music from the pub 4 blocks away - nice.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, your post made me think of those old tv ads with Josephine the plumber! Do you remember those? I think they came out when the general public was beginning to accept that women can do pretty much anything. Me, I mostly pull weeds. I do have a vision, but not so good at carrying it out, at least not the way I want it.

Adding to the list...mechanical dishwasher and practical signaling system using flares.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Your last posting, Cynthia, confirmed my previous idea. One I can think of is the hot water heater. Found this out when doing research on replacing our water heater a few years ago.

I am the plumber in our house, replacing faucets, repairing faucets, replacing toilets, etc. DH is a sweetie, but handy he is not.

Off to the library, seems all my requested books came in at once just when I want to spend my time outside gardening. Try to read at least an hour every day.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Bobbie, I used to be the plumber, but I am not terribly useful these days. In the future, perhaps!! ;-))

Hmmmm....we are a clever lot, perhaps?

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Cynthia, if men had had to launder cloth diapers, I'll bet those guys at Scott Paper would have jumped all over your mother's idea. I wonder how many Mother Earth types are still using the cloth ones. If anything in this world should be disposable, it would be diapers.

That's only my opinion, of course. :)

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha, ha, TM, I was one of those hippie Mom's starting out with all cloth diapers. That didn't last long! Still have many of those good diapers and use them as window washing clothes, etc.

Nancy, I understand how our bodies changing can change our activities. It is much harder to get under the sink with this knee replacement as I can no longer kneel on that knee. And getting up from sitting on the floor or ground is a major event.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

All items that were invented by women.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Yep, that's what I think too, they were all invented by women.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are all a clever lot as Nancy said! Four stars for everyone-Bobbie, TM, Nancy, and Annette, too, although she didn't get back, I am pretty sure from her first answer that she had it. I will include a quick link with the names of some women inventors. I wish my brain worked like that! Not surprised that a woman invented the water heater, Bobbie. Nothing worse than a cold shower!

Yes, TM, I am with you! Bobbie, I love the cloth diapers as dish towels, too. No lint-perfect for windows and all! For babies, I went with disposable.

Have a wonderful Sunday all. Laura, we miss you!

Today, if I can get my back and knees to cooperate, I am in for more weeding. I plan a trip to another nursery first, though. Would like to get containers started and need to check out trees to replace the ones we lost. We are leaning toward at least one crabapple. I do love those. We'll see what is available. Always fun to look.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 Inventions by Women

• thinman
    10 years ago

I think my favorite of the ten inventions is the chocolate chip cookie. I was going to write a comment about how you never see women inventing violent things like machine guns, but I then saw where Hedy Lamarr helped to invent an anti-jamming method for radio-guided torpedoes. Not exactly pacifistic.

Thanks for the fun question, Cynthia. The one that clued me in was the windshield wiper.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hedy was a very smart woman!! One of the local computer companies got in trouble using her image for Corel Draw....she sued.

Boy Bobbie, I thought I was alone with that kneeling thing....I can put weight on my right knee, and getting to the back of the fridge - forget it!! Now having read my medical chart, I know it is 'end-stage' arthritis, as well. Rats. Is it too late to start taking care of myself??

Nancy.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES