Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning cottagers! Hope today where you are is as beautiful as it is here. Today is one of those glorious spring days that just makes your heart go zing! Yesterday was, too, but I was stuck inside at school all day. I am definitely going to enjoy this weekend because we start our state testing next week and that will NOT be so much fun. On Monday, though, we are holding a pep rally to get the kids psyched up for doing their best. The teachers are going to do a flash mob thing at the end-you know, where we all start dancing a few at a time until all the teachers are up front and in step. You know what they say if you want to get there, "Practice, practice, practice" and we have been doing that this week. Should be fun even though we'll never make it to the big time.

So, on to trivia. There was an obituary in the Washington Post yesterday that made me think of this. On April 23, 1961, a concert took place that has been called "the greatest night in show business history." Hedda Hopper said she "never saw the likes of it" in her life referring to the connection of the performer with the audience. Can you identify the performer and the venue?

Cynthia

Comments (12)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

That would have been my Mum's 41st BD!!
    Doubt she attended though....I can think of one icon who was at this prime, but this is only a guess!! Must think, at work. 8(

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Me thinks I know :). Brings to mind a quote said to be said by a certain celebrity. I don't think he actually said it tho.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I hope your flash mob dance is fun for you and the kids, but I'm glad I'm not teaching at your school right now. I'm one of those guys who thinks that the only time a man should be dancing is when another guy is shooting at his feet. (Thank you Tim Allen.) And deliberately dancing in front of an audience, well, that just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I'm pretty sure that "makes your heart go zing" is a clue, and I noticed that you stayed away from saying him or her. The clue reminds me of an old song about strings, but I don't know who wrote it or sang it, could be a him or a her as far as I know. I'll just check back later for some kind of additional hints.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, TM, let's see. Meet me in Bobbie's town and we can discuss it (gosh I hope I am remembering her town correctly).

As to the venue, some smart alecs, in giving us directions to it, might just say "Practice."

The obit in the Post was for Mort Lindsey, the conductor and bandleader. He is the one who called it "the greatest night in show business." He also said it was like a revival meeting. He could have been speaking literally as well as figuratively given the artist's history. There was an audience of 3,000 including Lauren Bacall, Bogart, Richard Burton, Rock Hudson, Spencer Tracy, and Julie Andrews.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

OK, the 'Practice, practice, practice' give me the local. The 'zing' give me her name, I think. Huh, another thrilling day at work - glad to be home!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

You know, it's funny. When I read "Practice, practice, practice", I immediately thought of that old joke about how to get to C.H. But it never occurred to my feeble brain that it could have been the venue we were looking for. At least I have that now, and the song you are hinting at, but I still don't know the performer. Oh well, that's pretty good for me.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know what I have always wanted to see in our yard? Tiny little bluebirds...alas, I think they have all flown over the rainbow...

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ah, Over The Rainbow. I think I have her now. Must be Liza's mom.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Just about to hit the hay so just in case I don't get back in the morning (our internet connection is wobbling), I'm going with Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I'm with Annette!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Annette, Nancy, and TM!

The Carnegie Hall concert was the climax of Judy's tour intended to rejuvenate her career. The recording of the concert was made because Capitol Records was worried that she would not be able to fulfill her contract for one more album. The double-album live recording has never been out of print.

The conductor, Mort Lindsey, said "Evertytime she sang, I got goosebumps. My back was to her, too." His obituary also had this anecdote recalled by him:

At the Carnegie Hall show...Garland took her time getting to the stage, despite the importance for resusitating her career. "Judy knew how to milk an audience," Mr. Lindsey told Vanity Fair in 2011. "I see her standing in the wings. She's not doing anything, just looking across the stage. She's looking at me and I'm looking at her...There's Ethel Merman and Rock Hudson, and Benny Goodman, all these big shots sitting in the front row...but she knows what she's doing. Finally, she gives me a nod, and I start the overature."

Have a marvelous Sunday. Hope it is an over-the-rainbow sort of day with no stormy weather!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Stormy Weather

• thinman
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I forgot to say thank you for your trivia question this weekend. It was a fun challenge for us, me especially, but luckily you all provided enough hints so that I was eventually able to stumble over the right answer.

Good job.

TM

Sponsored